I was let go from my job

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the dirty secrets in hiring is that appearance does matter. I remember interviewing a guy who was probably at least 100-150 pounds overweight, even my boss who was probably about 50 pounds overweight was cracking fat jokes afterwards like saying that he was afraid the guy wouldn't "fit" in.

For tech and IT weight may matter less than the other field, especially if you are not customer facing.

Like Doog said, you never want to talk bad about other people on their back or in front of them. Words of mouth get around and future employers and coworkers would likely flag you as a loose cannon and avoid hiring you as a result. Remember discrimination related protection only works when you are targeted for disciplinary action. If your company is downsizing and layoff a lot of people, you are not "protected" better than the average low performer or high earner. Once you lose your job the industry is not obligated to hire you back, and the boss you hated may end up being your boss again in your new job in the future.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Another healthy reminder of why I stopped working for people.

+1 I am self employed for 28 years now....now I am watching corporate America flush all of my 55-60 year old friends down the pipe because they are no longer "team players"

Doublewasp and Doog, may I ask what you do to be self employed? I've always been in corporate America and am curious what people that are self employed do to make a living. Has to be a great feeling of freedom! Feel free to PM me if that is a more appropriate place to discuss.

Also to the OP, have you tried staffing agencies yet? I work in IT as a Network Engineer/Sysadmin and was sick of my last consulting gig so I swung into a major IT consulting agency. I walked out with a new job and have been here 4 1/2 years now. You may not get prime pay initially going through a agency but it's SO much easier than trying to track down a position yourself and you can ask for more money when you prove yourself, that's what I did. The company I work for only hires through the agency.

Last edited:
I would have a suitcase full of clothes on the bed so wife could see it when she gets home. When asked where I'm going... I would say out of state for a few job interviews.

I need to look for work somewhere else if no job offers here.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
One of the dirty secrets in hiring is that appearance does matter. I remember interviewing a guy who was probably at least 100-150 pounds overweight, even my boss who was probably about 50 pounds overweight was cracking fat jokes afterwards like saying that he was afraid the guy wouldn't "fit" in.

In Canada, obesity is deemed a disability.

[censored], even making "women driver" jokes with my employer will bring much undesired scrutiny to your personnel file...

Yes actually. I have been interviewing quite a bit lately. In the end of August/beginning of September I interviewed for and received an offer as a Level 1 IT Technician for an organization that serviced many area businesses. I accepted the offer -- pay was a touch lower than what I was making. I worked at this place for about a week and ended up absolutely hating it. The drive was about 40 minutes and was always dealing with rush hour traffic. I was doing a fair amount of traveling to area businesses servicing and maintaining just about any IT related system/infrastructure. The majority of the time it being Windows Home-editioned PCs and workgroup sharing. This was not for me, I soon missed the corporate environment and being part of the IT department for an organization where you control purchasing, deployment, equipment, policies, etc. I left after that week. I just couldn't stand being absolutely miserable.

So I went back to the Pizzeria full-time again. The beginning of October, I applied for an IT position with a major healthcare organization, interviewed a couple of times, received an offer and accepted! I could not be happier! The place is gorgeous... beautiful buildings, staff is very friendly, my future (or upcoming) boss is a very friendly fella. Pay is actually considerably better than my last job. Almost a $6k raise! Drive is about 15-20 minutes away from my house and there are plenty of alternative routes I can take in the even of a snow storm. I am just super happy and excited. I am certain that having prior healthcare experience was a big selling point. Also my dedication to the pizzeria (been there part time about 9 years) and my last employer (5 years) was mentioned and praised. Such a great place to work. This is finally something decent (organization/atmosphere and pay wise).

Took a little bit but I think all that happened was worth it. Very excited and looking forward to being with such a decent organization. I am going to stay part-time at the pizzeria Mondays and Tuesdays only -- approx 8-10 hours a week. Some extra cash is nice.

Congrats on new job.

Pizzerias seem to fill voids and satisfy many people between things as work. My wife's coworker is dying of cancer and disabled from her professional job (psychical therapist) . She asked for pizza delivery but normal delivery quit and filled in. Now she is satisfied with a job paid under the table and loves the social interaction on the small Massachusetts island she lives on.

Fantastic news! Yes, the Healthcare field is a great one to work in
thumbsup2.gif

Yah health care is a growing field. Having been kicked to the curb a few times, I am happy for you. I'm on my 5th career.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Yes actually. I have been interviewing quite a bit lately. In the end of August/beginning of September I interviewed for and received an offer as a Level 1 IT Technician for an organization that serviced many area businesses. I accepted the offer -- pay was a touch lower than what I was making. I worked at this place for about a week and ended up absolutely hating it. The drive was about 40 minutes and was always dealing with rush hour traffic. I was doing a fair amount of traveling to area businesses servicing and maintaining just about any IT related system/infrastructure. The majority of the time it being Windows Home-editioned PCs and workgroup sharing. This was not for me, I soon missed the corporate environment and being part of the IT department for an organization where you control purchasing, deployment, equipment, policies, etc. I left after that week. I just couldn't stand being absolutely miserable.

So I went back to the Pizzeria full-time again. The beginning of October, I applied for an IT position with a major healthcare organization, interviewed a couple of times, received an offer and accepted! I could not be happier! The place is gorgeous... beautiful buildings, staff is very friendly, my future (or upcoming) boss is a very friendly fella. Pay is actually considerably better than my last job. Almost a $6k raise! Drive is about 15-20 minutes away from my house and there are plenty of alternative routes I can take in the even of a snow storm. I am just super happy and excited. I am certain that having prior healthcare experience was a big selling point. Also my dedication to the pizzeria (been there part time about 9 years) and my last employer (5 years) was mentioned and praised. Such a great place to work. This is finally something decent (organization/atmosphere and pay wise).

Took a little bit but I think all that happened was worth it. Very excited and looking forward to being with such a decent organization. I am going to stay part-time at the pizzeria Mondays and Tuesdays only -- approx 8-10 hours a week. Some extra cash is nice.

What pizzaria if you don't mind sharing? Have family in buffalo, I get up there about twice a year and always get some Bocci Club or Imperial Pizza, my two favorite shops.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
What pizzaria if you don't mind sharing? Have family in buffalo, I get up there about twice a year and always get some Bocci Club or Imperial Pizza, my two favorite shops.

Oh boy I love Imperial Pizza -- I live about 7-10 minutes away from it.

I work at The Now Pizzeria in the Hamburg, NY -- in the Village. Been there on and off for a LONG time. Some stints longer than others. It's the place with the big 70's era Orange Crush sign by the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back