Unethical way to clean an MAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
a MAF is just a hot-wire anemometer by another name. Cleaning it with carburetor cleaner to dissolve the gunk, followed by CHLORINATED brake cleaner (the good old fashioned red-can CRC Brakleen, for example) to remove all the hydrocarbon residue should be perfectly safe. If that doesn't fix it, then it needed replacing anyway.

After spraying it with Gunk carburetor cleaner and CRC Brakleen, the MAF's voltage dropped to 0.6V!
banana2.gif

Thanks for all the input once again!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Popinski
Anyone will tell you that Brake Cleaner and Carb Cleaner is the worst way to clean a MAF sensor or anything electrical.

I don't say that. Brake cleaner is an option .
Remember, MAF cleaner is NOT available, and there is a problem.

Also, starting fluid will clean and evaporate well.

Chlorinated is the older formula CRC brake-kleen product, and works very well.

It has a RED colored cap on the can.

The Green top can NON chlorinated just doesn't clean that well.

In certain states like CA ,and maybe WA and OR, you cannot buy the older chlorinated version of the product.

Originally Posted By: crw
Right... when I saw unethical, I thought you were about to sacrifice a few cute furry dogs or something like that.

Puppy cerebral fluid mixed with a touch of manatee blood makes a great cleaner - jk, don't try this at home.

Originally Posted By: JoeWGauss
Chlorinated is the older formula CRC brake-kleen product, and works very well.

It has a RED colored cap on the can.

The Green top can NON chlorinated just doesn't clean that well.

In certain states like CA ,and maybe WA and OR, you cannot buy the older chlorinated version of the product.

The one I bought was in a red can with a black colored cap. Would that be the chlorinated or non-chlorinated version?
21.gif

If the can says "Non-Flammable" it's a good indication it's the "old formula", though it's still a newer formula than a decade ago. Tetrachloroethylene (chlorinated).

In CA they sell both red and green cans containing non-chlorinated solvents, so I couldn't say to you the color of the can determines the contents. Maybe the .mil is forced to buy non-chlorinated.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_

The one I bought was in a red can with a black colored cap. Would that be the chlorinated or non-chlorinated version?
21.gif

Look for the part number on the can. Then go to the CRC website and you will find out exactly what you have there using the PN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back