2019 Nissan Kicks Rough Idling

Kentoski

Hello everyone,

To start this off, I don't really know too much about cars, so forgive my naivety. For the past couple of weeks, my 2019 Nissan Kicks (57k miles) has been experiencing some rough idling. It started off with an engine light that came on alongside the rough idling. The code that I got for the engine light was P0101, which when I looked it up it had to do with my Mass Air Flow Sensor not performing as well.

I was considering replacing the sensor, but I decided to just purchase a Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner for it and that was able to get rid of the engine light. Unfortunately, the rough idling was still there, so I decided to dig deeper and replace the air filter that was close to the Mass Air Flow sensor (It was incredibly dirty). Unfortunately, the rough idling was still there.

After digging a bit more, I found out that rough idling can be caused by some of the following reasons (and possibly more that I missed).
  • Vacuum leak
  • Dirty/Clogged fuel injectors
  • Bad Spark plugs
  • Throttle Body
  • Mass Air Flow Sensor
Since I already cleaned the sensor, I want to go to the item closest/easiest which is the throttle body. After a bit of research on the throttle body, I found out that it is an electric one and I should be careful when handling one of these since you should not manually attempt to open the butterfly that is in the throttle body. I read online that for some vehicles you can put your car on the ignition mode without turning it on, and then press the gas pedal to open the butterfly.

So off I go, I purchased a throttle body cleaner to attempt to clean it, when I went ahead and put the car on ignition mode and had someone press the gas pedal, the butterfly wouldn't open. I still cleaned the visible portion of the throttle body, but the rough idling is still there so I believe I need to do more cleaning, but I do not know how to clean it if I can't open the butterfly. My question to you guys is how can I clean the entire throttle body if I can't get the butterfly to open?

Also, am I incorrect to think it is the throttle body that is causing the issue? Do you think it is something else?

Any input is appreciated!

Oh, I did not know, thank you so much for this! Should I continue filling up with regular 87 or 93?
Try some 93 and see if you notice an improvement in performance. I like the extra power it gives plus has additional detergents in it. Your engine could be full of carbon and soot. So 93 is worth a shot. Also put some Redline sl-1 fuel system cleaner in the gas tank. Supposed to be a step up from the others. Most auto parts stores carry it.

Last edited:
Try some 93 and see if you notice an improvement in performance. I like the extra power it gives plus has additional detergents in it. Your engine could be full of carbon and soot. So 93 is worth a shot. Also put some Redline sl-1 fuel system cleaner in the gas tank. Supposed to be a step up from the others. Most auto parts stores carry it.
You are (inadvertently, I hope) spreading misinformation here. This has been scientifically disproven so many times it isn't funny. 93 is not 'worth a shot'.

93 octane does NOT create extra power in any modern vehicle, unless it is one of the few that *require 93 but will 'de-tune' themselves and run on 87 without damaging anything. It is pretty much just a waste of money to run 93 in a vehicle that only requires 87, and you'd have more fun just setting fire to paper money in the backyard. Lol.

A new turbo Mazda3, for example. It will run fine on 87, but pulls timing and such that it knocks like 40 hp off of the normal output with 93. Definitely enough to feel. Put 93 back in it, and power returns to max available.

Think Top Tier requires all octane levels to have essentially the same detergency.

Back