Undercoating my 'new' Vehicle

I live in the rust-belt and know the advantage of undercoating.
My 2002 Ford Ranger ended its life recently in a front end collision and had no rust.
I always used some type of commercial Oil Coating or Fluid Film. (recently been converting to Cosmoline).
Under the Ranger was an oily mess and I said if I ever get another vehicle, I'd do it differently.

Well, that day came, when in July I bought a 2021 Ford Escape.
Today I used a combination of Cosmoline and Fluid Film.
The Ford Escape has a plastic panel under the engine AND two more running the length of it.
I did not remove them but did the best I could do.

Fluid Film: (using atomizer hose) In Doors, Hatch and any where I saw a hole to stick the hose.
Cosmoline: I removed each tire and sprayed all metal I could see and Rear Axle area.
Unfortunately the atomizer hose does 'not' fit on the Cosmoline cans.

Last Week I went to Carwell and inquired.
"NO you can't come in the garage, NO you can't watch, we close the garage door".
"NO we don't remove underside covers".
The employee said "some people have their vehicle sprayed during the rain and get home and say - it all washed off the wheel wells".
"We could spray around the underside covers and wheel well areas".

I thought, what am I getting for $100.00 ?

I ended up using six aerosol cans of Cosmoline and six cans of Fluid Film.
Did I do a perfect job ? No, but I did the best I could do.
I was able to remove some plastic trim in several places and spray into some hard to reach areas.
I will keep an eye on it each Spring and if I see any rust, respray again.

Winters coming !

I've considered doing the same this year on the vehicles in my sig. I've got the atomizer connector and don't mind spending the time. I'm just not convinced it will do a better job over frequently washing each.

That's a pretty good deal if any of those places will spray your vehicle for $100. Krown is the least expensive in my area and the cheapest package is $130.

I've treated each of the vehicles in my sig at least twice each with fluid film and/or woolwax. Either product washes off quickly in areas that get direct road blast. Cavities and areas up and out of the way hold the product nicely.

My kids 2015 Nissan versa 1.6s sedan for example. Pretty much none of the underbody will hold either product. The vehicle is just too low and has no underbody shielding, so one trip in the rain and the underside is washed clean.

The Rust Cop Shop sprays CarWell and you can watch. They are in Dolgerville. And yes I call and reschedule the appt if its raining.

Locally I get NH Coatings sprayed and the guy charges more than CarWell but applies more product. NH Coatings sells a super thick version of their product to use a paint brush and brush around the wheel well. Have not tried it.

The stuff in the aerosol cans is thinner than the product you buy by the QT.

I've used krown and rust check before. Most of the tome they've missed panels, so I DIY with fluid film. I remove the front plastic wheel liners and get everything coated nice and even. Some times I remove the plastic interior panels and tail lights etc and really make sure it's all coated well.

The shops wouldn't do all that since time is money. If you don't have the cosmoline gun and cans, you might as well invest in them. I normally buy one or two gallon cans of fluid film. One could probably do both the caravan and civic bit I normally go over areas to make sure they are all well protected.

I need to get some cosmoline and spray mine down. If you cut it with a bit of solvent (we used naphtha, gasoline also works) you can use any chemical resistant spray bottle and it works great.

Bummer that you got such a bad story from carwell. I’ve bought their product, never used their service.

The reason to take it someplace is so they can get it up and treated, without yoi breathing it all in and dripping it everywhere. Can be easier said than done….

But a poor job is a poor job. You don’t want these folks drilling holes everywhere, but a good tech with the right sands can get in a lot of spots easily.

I like the cosmoline/FF mix. FF makes sense in no wash areas that don’t get exposed to dust. It can last years or longer in such spots.

Reactions: JC1
OP here,
I stopped by a Collision Shop that also undercoats with a thick oil.
I explained my situation with the under-vehicle covers.

I was told:
"we see more vehicles with covers"
"we don't remove them but can use the 'door' nozzle and spray under the covers as far as we can get"
"Cost to do under the covers will be $40-50.00"

Now I'm happy and feeling I'm taking better care of the vehicle.
I will wait another Week or two and have it done.

I use 3 cans on each car before winter every year. My concern is more inside the body, not necessarily the chassis parts that can be replaced. So, I pull the taillights, spray inside the body, as well as in any area where I can pull a bolt or screw to get the hose in. I also spray the upper strut mounts inside and outside as far is the hose will reach. Any rubber plug that can be pulled is also sprayed behind as far as the hose will reach.

I spray in any underside hole as well. But, axles, a-arms, struts etc. will generally not get sprayed on the outside, but I do spray the inside of them.

My goal is more about visual rust on the body parts that I am not skilled in replacing, as well as general structure strength not being compromised.

Fluid Film is my go to product, as I have used it in some shipping across the pond (well, to Chile from the US), as well as in the Fertilizer industry on spreaders with great results. My wife hates the smell, but it goes away after a couple of days. I did my Camry after I bought it in May, and it has looked like it has a runny bum as the Fluid film leaks out of the trunk lid. I may have to hit it one more time before winter, but, I also know it spread and coated well due to the heat. Our New Beetle has looked like it has a runny nose, as the Fluid film leaked out of the hood.

NH Coatings in addition to spray-on products has a thick brush-on product for areas that get a lot of road spray or similar. So you spray most areas but brush on in a few select areas.

Reactions: JC1
I watched a lot of YT videos with various testing and long term results. My conclusion is that CRC Marine heavy duty corrosion inhibitor is the best long term solution out of a spray can. It is a cosmoline type of spray. It has held up well. Jack up the car, put some old newspapers over exhaust and spray away. This is after I hot water pressure washed the underside of the vehicle 4 days prior.

I know a few guys who use the fluid film and it makes a mess, and washes off easily. The cosmo seems to stay put. I respray the wheel wells every fall.

I'm in northern Maine where we have salt 6 months a year. Keep my cars 15 years.

Back