Under what conditions do tires last the longest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say you drive 90% highway and 10% city. Would your tires last longer than someone who drives 90% city and 10% highway? It could also be the other way around, but that's why I am asking. Does it even matter? I mean a mile is a mile right?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jimwards17
I mean a mile is a mile right?

Not at all, for the reasons the previous poster mentioned. Hwy riding is the easiest.

City driving eats shoulders due to frequent high angle cornering.
You can extend tire life in city use (probably hwy too) by over-inflation (spares the shoulders from the extra wear).

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
You can extend tire life in city use (probably hwy too) by over-inflation (spares the shoulders from the extra wear).

Something still ends up wearing out when cornering. If it's not shoulders, then it's the center tread when you overinflate it.

Personally, I've never had any luck with overinflating. My center tread wears before the shoulders do. But I know many people swear by it.

Driving straight which leans toward highway driving. Turning wears tires the fastest(eg in town).

A mile is not a mile.

If I were to drive on a skidpad (giant circle) for one mile, that would shred the tires. If I drive down a mile of highway, it would do very little. Remember, the contact patch actually changes size depending on your speed and the steering input. It also changes due to the air inside expanding and contracting.

I learned a lesson the hard way recently -- repeated powersliding and intentional [controlled] fishtailing will destroy the rear tires fast. I wore through 3/32" of my rear tires in just two months, and the fronts showed zero wear. Pic related:

367706-bigthumbnail.jpg

It also decreases the contact patch and pretty much negates any sort of water evacuation, siping, etc (i.e. the tread system). Stupid.

Wife scrubs the tread a lot by turning the wheel while not rolling (parking, stop then turning the wheel while stopped etc).

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Wife scrubs the tread a lot by turning the wheel while not rolling (parking, stop then turning the wheel while stopped etc).

Also a good way to strain the power steering system and tie rods.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I learned a lesson the hard way recently -- repeated powersliding and intentional [controlled] fishtailing will destroy the rear tires fast. I wore through 3/32" of my rear tires in just two months, and the fronts showed zero wear. Pic related:

367706-bigthumbnail.jpg

So then the smoke and the black marks....you didn't notice them until after your tread depth gauge tipped you off?

There is also other associated wear. My wife uses the braille technique when parking next to curbs and those bumpers in parking lots. It does not effect tread depth but it's got to effect the life of the tire when driving a lot in the city. In my case new tires are cheaper than offering advice.

It also decreases the contact patch and pretty much negates any sort of water evacuation, siping, etc (i.e. the tread system). Stupid.

Wrong. Overinflation increases resistance to hydroplaning. Google it for yourself.

Wrong. Overinflation increases resistance to hydroplaning. Google it for yourself.

It depends on what you mean by "overinflation". If you're talking about keeping it on the high-side of the vehicle manufacturer's recommended range, that's not really overinflation IMO since the tread design is maintained.

I'm going to disagree on highway vs city. But I'm a country boy it seems; my idea is that a city has more than a couple of stores... I digress. I drive way harder on the highway it seems. Prior thread here indicated I ought to be getting far more miles out of tires, yet 90% of my driving is done at 60mph or more. I think cornering at speed (highway on/off ramps) and perhaps simply driving fast (hotter tires?) can be wear items too.

I recently altered my route to work, less highway and much more sedate driving yet very little stop&go; too bad I didn't buy a new set of tires. I'd have an answer in a couple of years...

It's time for one of my stories:

At one point in time, I was a technical liaison to Ford for a major tire manufacturer. As part of the process of qualifying a tire, a 3700 mile wear test was required (there were other tests, too, but this one was interesting.)

The test consisted of a pair of vehicles (candidate tires on one, controls on the other) and setting the alignment to the specification limits, then running the vehicles on a simulated city course set up at a specific location. Lots and lots of turns on an abandoned concrete runway.

That test was very severe and there were several times we had control tires that wore down to the wear bars in spots. Needless to say, these "control" tires were existing tires that had known wear issues and Ford was trying to avoid similar issues.

Shortly thereafter, I conducted a field test on some of the tires that had "passed" this 3700 mile test. One set was put on a vehicle that ran between St. Louis and Kansas City. That set got over 100K.

So, yes, without a doubt, THEE biggest factor in tire wear is how many turns a vehicle makes compared to how many miles it travels.

Is there a difference between tires? Of course.

Is there a difference if you drive hard? Yes, "spirited" driving wears tires quicker.

Is alignment an issue? Yes, toe-in plays a role here.

What about inflation pressure? Yep, that, too!

But the folks who get the most mileage are those that drive in a straight line. Not much you can do if your commute doesn't allow that.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

Finally, someone else who understands that TOE eats tires way faster than camber does.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

Finally, someone else who understands that TOE eats tires way faster than camber does.

Camber does wear out tires fast but toes eats tire even faster. But most high performance cars have heavy toe-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back