Under the Valve Cover... how's it lookin'?

Oil pan from a 2008 6.0 Chevy LS engine with 260,000 miles. You can see the side mounted oil plug threads showing at the upper left which is the passenger side of the pan. There is a very thin layer of mung, which probably represents the very small amount of oil that is left behind each time during its 50 oil changes since new. I wiped it out with paper towels and it came out. The baffle has been removed and you can see the four threaded holes for the screws. It had 5w30 synthetic for most the changes with 5w40 synthetic used in the last few years. The brand was predominantly Pennzoil.

5D422A21-27A3-4FCB-B24B-19A0AA88ADC7.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, it does have a bunch of miles, so there is that. I mean, what are we after here? A clean engine, or a long lasting one? For me it would be lasting, even if in made the engine look terrible. Many here like the Euro Formula, and I am inclined to agree.

One other poster shared with me a picture of their oil pan off, using 0w40M1, in a high dollar engine, and it was spotless, and if I am not mistaken, pretty old engine.

That is some really good results I would say. Better to be slow and steady, than to melt it all off at once.
I just want it to last a long time. It's at 251k now. Plan on shooting for 300k without any major problems.

I'd be a little disappointed 🙁
Is this a Hyundai Beta or Beta II?

Year/make/model?

Is the PCV system operational?
2003 Hyundai Tiburon Beta2.
I replaced the PCV valve every so often. Second owner since ~160k. First owner was a college girl who according to the Carfax appears to have skipped maintenance.

Back