Uncontrolled Acceleration 2006 Toyota Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit that I was skeptical about this, until today.

I was doing an install on a 2006 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner. The client had parked it in the worst possible way preventing any further work from being performed until it was moved.

Started fine. Went into reverse fine. Brake pressed I went from reverse to drive and the truck lurched forward. Hard. I was able to make it stop by pressing down on the brake but I had to press hard.

The truck's floormat was anchored and the engine was not racing and trying to move when I was in reverse. I did not move my foot when shifting from reverse to drive so I do not think I was pushing the gas inadvertantly.

I believe the stories a little bit more now. I still don't know how you wouldn't stop. I was able to, but it was really trying to go.

You were inadvertently pressing the wrong pedal
laugh.gif
! Or at least that's what all the Toyota defenders seem to say about UI
whistle.gif

I'm pretty sure on most vehicles the brake pedal is higher than the gas to prevent this from happening. I'll have to look at my truck tomorrow to double check.

A few years back I drove a car with heavy boots on. As I was coming up to a light I suddenly got the sensation that I wasn't going to stop in time, but pushing harder on the brakes didn't seem to be helping.

I realized at the last moment that the oversized snow boots were pushing the brake and gas pedals at the same time.

Apparently BMW didn't have northern winters in mind when they designed pedal placement.

I drive hundreds of cars a month and this happened to me twice in 6 months and both where BMW's. The placement of the pedals are to blame. The gas pedal is hinged on the floor and the mat moves forward and wham the motor starts to rev and I start to panic!

Last edited:
Yes and the suit was settled in Audi's favor and the trial judge ripped the plaintiffs for wasting the courts time .

" It was a simple case of...

Demonic possession, your Honor. My client's vehicle was seized and controlled by an extra-wide boot's sole."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
On my Toyota you can hit both pedals if you are not used to them.

But then it would have happened while I was in reverse.

It didn't though.

I selected Drive and it tried to take off. I don't think I moved my foot. I paid attention when selecting Drive from Reverse in my Mazda and my right hand moves completely independantly of my right foot.

Originally Posted By: brelandt
I drive hundreds of cars a month and this happened to me twice in 6 months and both where BMW's. The placement of the pedals are to blame. The gas pedal is hinged on the floor and the mat moves forward and wham the motor starts to rev and I start to panic!

Then it had the wrong mats in it. BMW's have plastic locks that go through the mats at both rear corners to prevent them from moving.

I believe it. While most cases were user errors, I'm sure rare legitimate problems do exist. There are no devices that are 100% reliable, especially computers with ridiculously long and buggy software codes (= modern cars).

I got the Toyota gas pedal of death in one situation. I was working on a Lexus GS430. I was bringing the car into the repair shop, and the car went forward when I wanted to stop. I shut off the key and thankfully no damage was done.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
laugh.gif
whistle.gif

So the Toyota defenders are, in a roundabout fashion, saying that incompetent drivers are more likely to be behind the wheel of a Toyota? I'll go with that.

I don't think that excludes the possibility of a mechanical defect, however.

My only fat foot anecdote involves rarely catching the brake with my left foot when I go to shift.

Imagine how quickly and forcefully you typically stomp on the clutch, it makes for quite a surprise!

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
laugh.gif
whistle.gif

So the Toyota defenders are, in a roundabout fashion, saying that incompetent drivers are more likely to be behind the wheel of a Toyota? I'll go with that.

I don't think that excludes the possibility of a mechanical defect, however.

Same with other brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back