Ultrasonic cleaners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
used the search and was surprised in 171 pages of threads, the word "ultrasonic" didn't return a result.

Anyway--anyone out there using an ultrasonic cleaner for gun parts cleaning? Seems like folks that do it, love it. I know they can damage painted finishes, and you don't clean entire guns in them. But I was thinking that it would be nice to drop in bolt carrier groups and barrels in one while you're cleaning something else.

If you do use them, also, what solution are you using? A dedicated/specific gun cleaner like from Hornady or Lucas, or Simple Green HD, or something else?

Never cleaned a gun with one but I have the HF one? gallon heated, it is pretty unreal.

Simple green, or vinegar for ferrous metals. Never done none ferrous, I would be concerned about that. The instructions say to not use solvents, but I've been tempted to use alcohol.

An ultrasonic cleaner that can fit rifle barrels is going to be $$$ unless you pick up a used one at an auction or something. Even commercial small ones are expensive.

I used to cheat in the military and put my whole broken-down M16A2 (and later M4A1) into the ultrasonic.

Just used water - blew the moisture out, lubed the bore and bolt with CLP, and gave the whole thing a wipe down with CPC Type III.

Passed the white glove test every time.

Before I went with wet tumbling with Stainless Steel Media, I used to use ultrasonic for some of my brass cleaning. But I've never found it necessary for gun parts. I just generally wet wash with clean Kerosene, then blow dry with compressed air. You have to be careful when ultrasonic cleaning Aluminum because cavitation can cause damage to the finish. I've seen it happen. There is a lot of information out there on the subject.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&...1.0.M4EAQssk-AQ

Depending what I'm cleaning, for gun parts, Simple Green HD.

I can answer any of your questions using an ultrasonic cleaner.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
Depending what I'm cleaning, for gun parts, Simple Green HD.

I can answer any of your questions using an ultrasonic cleaner.

Excellent, thanks!

What brand do you use? I've seen the "foil test" vids on youtube--is there a huge advantage to say a hornady/rcbs/lyman over a cheap harbor freight model? correspondingly, is there any advantage to consumer mid-range brands, such as L&R, versus hornady/rcbs/lyman?

Did you consider a larger model, such as the hornady "hot tub" that will fit a 16" AR upper?

Do you wish you had a different size than you have?

Aside from Simple Green HD, do you have any tips/tricks that may not be apparent to a newer user?

One thing I've seen on the Harbor Freight models v. say, the Hornady models--run time. I know you can just run the cycles again, but Hornady has a 30 minute max cycle. HF has an 8 minute max cycle. Is this an issue at all?

If yours broke, would you replace it?

Be careful with regular Simple Green. Its corrosive and caustic to aluminum. Many guns have aluminum in them.

I believe they have other formulas that are safe to use.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Be careful with regular Simple Green. Its corrosive and caustic to aluminum. Many guns have aluminum in them.

I believe they have other formulas that are safe to use.

Right, Simple Green HD

Simple Green aircraft cleaner is safe for use on aluminum and isn't that expensive.

I use the US for deep cleaning* of stuff like bolts and gas pistons with rings that really shouldn't be disassembled but still get crud built up in them. My US has a heater setting and I blow all the water off with compressed air after cleaning, followed by a lot of water displacing gun oil.

BSW

*Cleaning about once a year or after a thousand rounds.

For a good in depth introduction on ultrasonic cleaners, go to snowblowerforum.com, do a search under title ultrasonic cleaner using my name as the poster.

You never want to buy a HF Ultrasonic cleaner because it does not come with a basket. The item being cleaned must be elevated off the bottom for two reasons, better cleaning, and if not elevated, you will eventually burn out the unit.

The aluminum foil test is a good test of the strength and if the unit is functioning correctly.

I use Simple Green HD at different strengths for most everything but carburetors. For those I use Berryman's Chem-Dip.

I run the cleaner depending what I'm cleaning, 15-60 minutes. For carburetors that have been disassembled, 30-60 minutes.D

I'd like to say I will always have an ultrasonic cleaner.

Buy a name brand only! I want something that will last! If new, the only cost effective unit is SharperTek. Otherwise there are many good brands, Crest, Branson, few others. All these are mentioned at snowblowerforum.com

I even use mine to clean scrub brushes! Paint brushes, carbs from mowers, cars, motorcycles, gun parts, right now I'm going to clean a pull cord housing with rope and spring from my used generator I bought because it was used by a painter and has a lot of spackle dust in it.

I've got a HF one and it dos have a basket. I had a 'professional' but the drain hose broke and it ran dry ruining it. HF does not have a drain.

I use powdered dishwasher soap. Use to use it to clean out dental handpiece drills. If I needed to unclog the water lines I used some CLR.

The thing you have to remember, is that the transducers used in these things are pretty much a generic item. And many, if not most of the more affordable one's are made in China. Just like the electronic readers on a lot of these electronic digital calipers. They are the heart of the product. And spending more doesn't necessarily mean you are getting a better unit.

When I was working, all of my measuring tools had to be calibrated every 6 months. My $15.00 Harbor Freight calipers passed accuracy calibration every time. Just like my $250.00 Starrett and Brown & Sharpe units did.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
You never want to buy a HF Ultrasonic cleaner because it does not come with a basket.....

Not true. I have this model from Harbor Freight, and it comes with a basket. They show it right in the pictures.

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.html

You are of course right, the picture does show a basket. A few years ago they did not.

The HF unit is made by some Chinese company that puts many names on the same unit. I've seen it with Kendall and other names. I used one to clean several carburetors and it worked fine though a little underpowered and only had an 8 minute limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back