Ultra at Wal Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys
I posted a few weeks ago about the Pennzoil Ultra being marked down to 5.00 @ my local WM.I went back yesterday and the last 2 jugs were now 3.00 each so I grabbed them. My question is why is this oil marked down so much ? I guess they will no longer sell it at my WM since there is no space for it on the shelves anymore but why. Do any of you guys see this happening around you ?? I am glad for the sale but I am curious.

I don't know. Ultra jugs at ours are $26.50 each as I recall. I checked out the entire oil section last night. No real deals to be had.

Haven't seen it marked down anywhere around here. In fact it seems to be fairly popular based on the fluctuation in stock numbers I see as it is bought and re-stocked.

Boy I wish ours would mark it down. I checked - the one store that still had Ultra was full price.
frown.gif

Slower sales compared to other oils? WM is still a for profit company.

SOPUS scaling back on how much they are willing to pay walmart for shelf space or someone else outbid them for the space?

My local WM (small supercenter footprint compared to most) once had six choices for full synthetic 5w-20 5 qt jugs (three SOPUS, one Valvoline, two Castrol). After a recent section reset the Castrol Edge with Syntec, Valvoline Synpower and Pennzoil Ultra disappeared and Mobil 1 5w-20 jugs appeared. Now have two SOPUS, One Castrol Edge with Titanium and one M1 5w-20 5qt jugs to choose from. Of course that was about a month ago, there may be more or less next time I am there.

Larger stores with more shelf space would be your best bet at finding it.

In Atlanta metro WM does not stock PU. I had to go to AutoZone and purchase 6 X 1qt bottles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smithph

SOPUS scaling back on how much they are willing to pay walmart for shelf space or someone else outbid them for the space?

That's what I was thinking, too.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I don't know. Ultra jugs at ours are $26.50 each as I recall. I checked out the entire oil section last night. No real deals to be had.

Same here,Ultra is still $26 as well.

Originally Posted By: webfors
I'd buy the whole shelf of PU if I found it at $5/jug.

Heck yeah same here! :^D

Originally Posted By: cscam
Ultra is $36 a jug here and PP is $38, explain that one!

You live in Canada?

But really, what's happening is that some dept. manager at the store realizes that he has to organize a dept based on a planogram, and to make it work they will clearance out anything that doesn't meet this layout.

In Iowa Ultra was marked down to $24.50, and they has a HUGE shelf of it about a week ago. Went back yesterday, it was gone. All they had were the single quarts. To bad, I would have been all over it at $3.

I found 1, 5 quart Jug last week at the WM here in the Orlando area for $7. It was the only one on the shelf and had a red reduced sticker on the jug. I grabbed it and have checked back a few times but to no avail. There are no more PU jugs on the oil aisle.

They did have Castrol Edge, Gold Jug, 5,10w30, SM GF-4 on Clearance for $21 a jug on a large display at the end of the oil aisle.

But now all of those are gone and the only ones left are Castrol Edge with Titanium, Gold Jug.

It appears that these specials are just...hit or miss.

Last edited:
I went to Wal-Mart yesterday, they still had Ultra 5 quart jugs for $26.50. The jugs were SM oil and were dated December 2009 & January 2010 for the 5W-30. The Platinum was $24.50, SN and dated March 2011. I had a hard time deciding if SN Platinum was better than SM Ultra. In the end I bought the Ultra as I currently have it in my 2 vehicles and wanted to get some more in case it is discontinued here locally since its not selling well. Is SN Platinum equivalent to SM Ultra? Or is SM Ultra still kings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back