Ultra 0w40 burns off faster...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So got my first oil stash at $2/1qt. About 100 quarts of 0w40 Pennzoil Ultra. I planned on using it in all my cars, but the first car happened to be my 2004 IS300. Filled it up with 6 quarts, slapped a Fram XG3600 on it, and was pretty happy at first. Usually the car burns a quart every 3000-4000 miles. This fill had about 100 miles when I checked level and it was perfect. Checked it again at 700 miles and it was 1.5 quarts low... Is this normal? Anyone else experienced this? No smoke out of the exhaust, pcv is good, no leaks anywhere on the engine.

At a certain point, when your rings have carbon-ed up enough to clog all the oil return holes, oil consumption can go from none to some and then too much. Very prevalent in the 1zz-fe engine, where people had no oil consumption and then all of a sudden, its burning oil...I have had 3 personal experience in this regard, and own 5 of these cars myself and work on 10 others in the family.

1.5 quarts in 700 miles is excessive, if there are no leaks. You won't see smoke out the exhaust because your catalytic converter isn't clogged up yet.

Some people have complained about using a different oil then usual that increased oil consumption compared to others, I have yet to experience this, so no idea if this really holds true or not.

Last edited:
Is this the srt version? Is so, it has a fairly high noack, so not surprising to be burning off some, but yours seems excessive.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Some people have complained about using a different oil then usual that increased oil consumption compared to others, I have yet to experience this, so no idea if this really holds true or not.

I have experience the phenomenon during the transition phase of changing to a different oil.

It was reported as a possibility by the oil manufacturer due to the replacement of the old oil molecules in/on the surface of the metal in the engine with the new oil.
With one engine I thought I had dodged a bullet in that regard after the oil change over, I initially didn't experience any increased oil consumption.
Then quite suddenly the engine started to literally drink oil way beyond my wildest imagination which was quite concerning.
Then it settled down again to normal oil consumption levels and hasn't changed since.
The usage pattern did not change throughout this period.

So yes I can confidently say that it can indeed happen, but I suspect it's transitory and not likely to be permanent in a mechanically sound engine.
Certainly a random occurrence.

I got a Pontiac Vibe recently with a 1zz. When I got it it burned a quart every 100 miles. Was planning on rebuild, but short OCIs and some MMO in oil (no piston soak) fixed the issue to 1/4 of a quart for 5000 miles. Now happily running 0w-30 Belgian Castrol and a bottle of mos2. Just felt like sharing my 1zz experience. Had another 1zz a year ago. 278k miles when I sold it with zero oil consumption thanks to Maxlife or I just got a 1zz from a good batch...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Is this the srt version? Is so, it has a fairly high noack, so not surprising to be burning off some, but yours seems excessive.

It is the SRT indeed. Well, at least I got a bunch of it to carry around for top offs lol.

Is this the srt version? Is so, it has a fairly high noack, so not surprising

No. I really have to doubt your understanding if you think NOACK would be the mechanism for the loss of this much oil.

Originally Posted By: SanProsan
I got a Pontiac Vibe recently with a 1zz. When I got it it burned a quart every 100 miles. Was planning on rebuild, but short OCIs and some MMO in oil (no piston soak) fixed the issue to 1/4 of a quart for 5000 miles. Now happily running 0w-30 Belgian Castrol and a bottle of mos2. Just felt like sharing my 1zz experience. Had another 1zz a year ago. 278k miles when I sold it with zero oil consumption thanks to Maxlife or I just got a 1zz from a good batch...
05-08 have the issue fixed, I have done many rebuilds on these engines, the actual issue is a very simple fix, if you can hold a drill steady and just drilled out additional holes.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

No. I really have to doubt your understanding if you think NOACK would be the mechanism for the loss of this much oil.

I did note that it was excessive, regardless.

05-08 have the issue fixed, I have done many rebuilds on these engines, the actual issue is a very simple fix, if you can hold a drill steady and just drilled out additional holes.

The 278k mile Vibe was a 2003 model. Previous owner, granny if that matters, changed oil by the book I guess. I got that car at 200k for $2k. Sold it at 278k for $3k. I was just surprised for a 2003 to have absolute zero consumption with such high mileage! Hopefully this 2006 keeps the consumption down until it's odometer stops at 299999 miles. (Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix issue - doesn't go past that number) Long live Toyota!!!

So got my first oil stash at $2/1qt. About 100 quarts of 0w40 Pennzoil Ultra. I planned on using it in all my cars, but the first car happened to be my 2004 IS300. Filled it up with 6 quarts, slapped a Fram XG3600 on it, and was pretty happy at first. Usually the car burns a quart every 3000-4000 miles. This fill had about 100 miles when I checked level and it was perfect. Checked it again at 700 miles and it was 1.5 quarts low... Is this normal? Anyone else experienced this? No smoke out of the exhaust, pcv is good, no leaks anywhere on the engine.

Did you re-confirm with multiple oil level checks? A dipstick not fully seated, or parking in a slightly different position can throw it off on some vehicles. Short way of saying that it seems like a ridiculous jump in consumption- I'd find it hard to blame any oil for THAT much increase in consumption.

That being said, I find the numbers on PU SRT 0w40 a little uninspiring, so I used M1 0w40 from the 2nd oil change onward (despite lacking the MS12633 approval) in my SRT. Its out of warranty now anyway, so MS12633 can take a flying leap... ;-p

Hopefully this 2006 keeps the consumption down until it's odometer stops at 299999 miles. (Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix issue - doesn't go past that number) Long live Toyota!!!
seriously? we have a corolla with 350k and I rebuild a celica with 399k...weird that the vibe/matrix would do that.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Did you re-confirm with multiple oil level checks? A dipstick not fully seated, or parking in a slightly different position can throw it off on some vehicles. Short way of saying that it seems like a ridiculous jump in consumption- I'd find it hard to blame any oil for THAT much increase in consumption.

That being said, I find the numbers on PU SRT 0w40 a little uninspiring, so I used M1 0w40 from the 2nd oil change onward (despite lacking the MS12633 approval) in my SRT. Its out of warranty now anyway, so MS12633 can take a flying leap... ;-p

Yea I always check oil at the same spot on my driveway. That spot is straight as an arrow. All cars get their oil checked at this spot only. Lexus is at 800 miles into oci. Stays at full mark for now, but we'll see what happens next. And that car is driven like it's stolen and gets about 1000 miles on it every two weeks.

[/quote]seriously? we have a corolla with 350k and I rebuild a celica with 399k...weird that the vibe/matrix would do that. [/quote]
I didn't believe until I saw it on my friends Matrix. He put nearly another 200k on it after odometer stopped at 299999. Measures it by the trip meter. Trip A for fuel consumption, Trip B for OCIs and total mileage count, resets it every 5k with OC.

I didn't believe until I saw it on my friends Matrix. He put nearly another 200k on it after odometer stopped at 299999. Measures it by the trip meter. Trip A for fuel consumption, Trip B for OCIs and total mileage count, resets it every 5k with OC.

I read about that happening too. I guess I'll find out myself in 114k miles.

1.5 quarts in 700 miles is excessive, if there are no leaks. You won't see smoke out the exhaust because your catalytic converter isn't clogged up yet.

Yes a quart & half is in 700mi is EXCESSIVE and WILL show smoke, at 600-800mi qt most belch on take off after idling a minute or two... Can't imagine burning 50% additional would not show smoke...

As far as cat, if it were clogged you'd be walking...

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Agreed...

Originally Posted By: TFB1

Yes a quart & half is in 700mi is EXCESSIVE and WILL show smoke, at 600-800mi qt most belch on take off after idling a minute or two... Can't imagine burning 50% additional would not show smoke...

As far as cat, if it were clogged you'd be walking...

The cat actually gave up I guess. Car gave the code for the cat once a week and went away. I ignored it for couple months. Now Bank 2 sensor 2 is always on.

CELs happened a couple thousand miles before the SRT 0w40 though. Had a steady diet of Maxlife 5w-30 full synthetic before I started cleaning out autozones.

Catalytic converter efficiency and clogged are two different things... If the efficiency drops 5% the CEL will come on, as I said earlier if clogged, you walk...

As far as NOACK, I can't see it making a major difference in a non boosted engine, surely not a small percentage of the loss noted here... Apparently you don't have burn off(loss through evaporation) but have out & out burning due to rings, valve stem seals or other method of oil loss...

Not oil related. Changing to a new oil starts results in useage for me but it goes away..definitely you have other issues going on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back