Ugly Art Sculptures

Can you beat this one? In my neck of the woods.
1711701299200.jpg

Just because you can, it doesn't mean that you should. If they weren't "creating" things like this, they'd be yelling at your local city council, month after month, demanding that they implement all sorts of wacky social projects... Putting their "art" like this on display might be the lesser of two evils.

That said, we have a entire park full of this stuff, which is "on loan" to the city from the "creators".

....and sooner or later, it comes down. Another use for the land comes up and life marches on.
We don't have to play the crotchety old man card every time.

A touch of whimsey or color is not necessarily a bad thing.
However, I too would like to see artistic efforts used to make something like playground equipment or doorway treatments.

That metal wreckage was used on a bridge is somehow prophetic.

Why does it have to be beautiful?

Can't ugly be interesting or serve a cultural purpose?

We've had anti-aesthetics for a long time. They do different things.

Horror movies are ugly, too. So is Dr. Pimple Popper.

Our local paper had an article about this, and while it's usually only good for kindling, they made good points.

You might be surprised how many well-meaning artists want to "donate" art to municipalities. However, there are unseen costs for the taxpayer.

First, who pays for installation? If it's on public property they may not let starving artist install it.

Second, who maintains it, esp in the case of vandalism, which is nearly guaranteed? If it gets tagged or damaged, do you just leave it as-is? Unlikely. Does it need to be periodically dusted, cleaned, repainted??

Third, municipalities almost always carry insurance on these things. Maybe liability, maybe against damage, maybe all the above.

At the end of the day I'd rather see the money go to just maintaining a nice park or fixing streets or sidewalks.

I used to take a pretty dim view of art like this too - to me it had to fit "my view" of what art should be. But after getting to know some customers of mine that are artists, I've become a lot more accepting of it. Art is part of our economy and contributes to economic diversity - which is growing more important by the day. Just because it's not "art" or meaningful to a bunch folks on an oil forum doesn't mean that it doesn't have meaning or value to the rest of society.

Fun fact... Art is so import and can have so much meaning, that the CIA actually bought/funded art in Soviet block countries during the cold war for purposes of influence.

• Haha
Reactions: D60
Someone once said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My take is there are a lot of people who need eye glasses:D but to each their own.
Some folks like rubenesque or voluptuous or curvaceous figures and some like sticks!!!

Last edited:
Being a person who thinks the desert is beautiful, what a freaking eyesore! Might as well be giant pieces of colorful litter.

Scott
That was pretty much my first thought, what a horrible thing to do to the beautiful desert.

That San Jose sculpture looks like what it was intended to look like.

Back