LVP Textures

I've put down 3 floors worth of LVP (luxury vinyl planks) and one with laminate. Couple for both Lowes and Menards each. Are there any textures that you won't put down? Let's just say having a big argument over the plank my foot is on, not the first time either. I grew up close to a wood mill and cut wood for a furnace growing up so I know wood can vary quite a bit, I know this is just a simulation of the real thing. No it's not damaged. Thoughts?

IMG_2367.jpeg

I've put down 3 floors worth of LVP (luxury vinyl planks) and one with laminate. Couple for both Lowes and Menards each. Are there any textures that you won't put down? Let's just say having a big argument over the plank my foot is on, not the first time either. I grew up close to a wood mill and cut wood for a furnace growing up so I know wood can vary quite a bit, I know this is just a simulation of the real thing. No it's not damaged. Thoughts?
Personal taste is up to the user. I have LVP in my downstairs orifice and upstairs, and I didn't think I would love it so much. It's awesome flooring, IMHO. We spent some extra $, better core, I forget the details. Plus needed a lot of ply underlayment ($$$$$$)

Anyway I'm not a fan of that color or pattern or faux saw marks, but if you and future buyers like it, then no biggie

It looks authentic and I assume it is a rustic collection best suited for old homes or farmhouses. But I really wouldn't want the board you are standing on as my decor is not rustic but that's just my situation.

My cousin that lives in a really old farm house would love it.

My additional .02$ look at some of the flooring warehouses and such in your area. We selected a nice tone/texture/pattern (and of course I can't remember the brand) that was I think about the price as Lowe's/HD - point being - it's different than others, a bit more unique.

I’m confused. Nothing new sometimes.🤣
What is your foot on vinyl or laminate.
I assume it’s the laminate.
I’m not saying you, but many people confuse the two.
Either way I dont think it would bother me. Every room in our new home is laminate. We love the look and texture of laminate with all the cracks and colorations as well as the rough surface. After your photo I took a closer look, we have similar (saw) markings but not nearly as pronounced.Not even sure if you can call it "saw markings" or not.

With that said, if given a choice I would seriously consider LVP for durability. Im on the fence with this stuff as far as warping after an event like a leak in the plumbing or your wife watering a plant thinking the tray under the plant was catching the excess water for the last month but had a hole in the tray. Dont ask me how I know. Waiting to see as it dries if it goes to 100% normal in that area. You cant see it but you can feel the seems where the pieces interlock are raised up a little and feel a ridge there.

This is a similar color to yours.
Due to the camera is itself it was hard to get the exact look but this is close. I then found the type of markings you mention but had to really tilted the camera to make it more pronounced for you to see. Meaning on our floors you have to really look for it.

Either way we LOVE the look of the flooring but I can not say 100% what we would do if given a choice knowing what I do now. Without question to us it certainly presents as a wood floor, spaces, cracks, dents and all which we know is all "built in" and I do prefer that roughness compared to LVP that we have seen. I just wont know about durability maybe for years but if it holds up it would be a choice at that point I would certainly stay with forever.
The actual color is somewhere between the extreme in the photos. It was hard getting the right brightness on the camera, but the first photo best represents it. Meaning is the one that is in-between the darkest and lightest.

Whats a photo without my dog in it. Took that one last night, our dog has no eyes but somehow he knows the smell of a new toy we bought him yesterday and was sitting on the countertop, he can tell a latex toy is around even if we put in in a closet, he will go to the closet door and stare.

IMG_6787.JPG
IMG_6788.JPG

IMG_6789.JPG
IMG_6784.JPG

Last edited:
What is the issue?
The normal one.. wife 😂
My additional .02$ look at some of the flooring warehouses and such in your area. We selected a nice tone/texture/pattern (and of course I can't remember the brand) that was I think about the price as Lowe's/HD - point being - it's different than others, a bit more unique.
We did look at Lowes Menards and few other locations. Everything was ehh. Really we just wanted something cheap and light weight for the RV. Although the more expensive laminate planks we got the kitchen is pretty similar.
I’m confused. Nothing new sometimes.🤣
What is your foot on vinyl or laminate.
I assume it’s the laminate.
I’m not saying you, but many people confuse the two
This is vinyl.. I'd rather have vinyl than laminate.

I am a fan of LVP but 12 years ago I got laminate that is awesome. It looks like Turkish Walnut but was unscratchable. You can take car keys to it very hard and not leave a mark at all. Same for sliding furniture over it.
Granted that was 12 years ago but I would buy it again.
1000000165.jpg

I'm not a fan of the color that looks like weathered barn siding wood. But having some texture that makes it look more rough hewn would be OK if the rest of the house was more of a country decor.

The only thing I would say is if you are buying any kind of flooring, make sure to buy a couple dozen extra planks and put them away somewhere. I have Pergo in my house and they discontinued the color a couple of years ago. I would like to replace about a dozen planks that were poorly installed and have some distortion at the mating edges and I only have a few spare planks. I'm watching ebay in case some surplus of that color ever shows up and then I'll have a pro come in and replace the bad pieces.

I'm not a fan of the color that looks like weathered barn siding wood. But having some texture that makes it look more rough hewn would be OK if the rest of the house was more of a country decor.

The only thing I would say is if you are buying any kind of flooring, make sure to buy a couple dozen extra planks and put them away somewhere. I have Pergo in my house and they discontinued the color a couple of years ago. I would like to replace about a dozen planks that were poorly installed and have some distortion at the mating edges and I only have a few spare planks. I'm watching ebay in case some surplus of that color ever shows up and then I'll have a pro come in and replace the bad pieces.
That is a given.
Just like having extra shingles for your roof. That was the problem with sheet vinyl. No easy fix for a problem area.

Back