Ugh. Einstein and his diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's passive aggressive behavior in general that [censored] me off.

I could not "roll coal" in any TDI I owned nor would I want too. It did release fine particulates caught by the cat if I went WOT.

I usually had to alot when getting on the highway. No worse than the slight haze you see from a lot of gasoline powered products. I am sure someone thought I was rolling coal though.

Pickup trucks are just a magnet for passive aggressive behavior. The owners think size does matter so they flaunt it. This isn't all owners just the ones who want a truck just to prove it to everyone else. I see it every winter too. Oversized near bald tires spinning all four at every intersection when it snows, not to mention the stupid body lift.

The irony in all this is that diesels are more environmentally friendly than a Prius.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
your average guy who drives a diesel truck isn't out to make a political statement, and if you accidentally get a blast of black smoke when he hits the go pedal, he probably didn't do it on purpose.

Actually with all the emissions equipment, most diesel vehicles put out very little if any smoke under heavy load. I shouldn't get a "blast of smoke" from anyone. Not all diesel owners are bad, that isn't the point. The point is to target those who intentionally do this to people. I've seen guys purposefully smoke out entire intersections so nobody can see and traffic completely stops. Nobody can say there isn't anything dangerous about that.

The only emissions laws for diesels in CT are that they can't smoke at idle. This is ridiculous. My friend has a chipped Duramax that makes no smoke at idle, then he can push a button and "roll coal" all the way down the road as he pulls out. The laws state you can't remove emissions equipment, yet everyone sells "offroad pipes" and emissions delete kits. If I remove the cat converter on my Jeep I won't pass emissions, these guys can remove everything and pass easily.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
your average guy who drives a diesel truck isn't out to make a political statement, and if you accidentally get a blast of black smoke when he hits the go pedal, he probably didn't do it on purpose.

Actually with all the emissions equipment, most diesel vehicles put out very little if any smoke under heavy load. I shouldn't get a "blast of smoke" from anyone. Not all diesel owners are bad, that isn't the point. The point is to target those who intentionally do this to people. I've seen guys purposefully smoke out entire intersections so nobody can see and traffic completely stops. Nobody can say there isn't anything dangerous about that.

The only emissions laws for diesels in CT are that they can't smoke at idle. This is ridiculous. My friend has a chipped Duramax that makes no smoke at idle, then he can push a button and "roll coal" all the way down the road as he pulls out. The laws state you can't remove emissions equipment, yet everyone sells "offroad pipes" and emissions delete kits. If I remove the cat converter on my Jeep I won't pass emissions, these guys can remove everything and pass easily.

For some people it depends on where your car is registered. My dad lives in a smaller town and I have my car registered there, I don't have to do emissions at all. If I for some odd reason decided to remove the catalytic converter from my car, not a single person would know.

I see tons of this Dren on a daily basis...
students @ a local College with a nationally known auto/diesel/High Performance Motorsports program.
all with lifted trucks and either 1 12 inch, or 2 6 inch stacks coming up through the bed. all with more money and bravado than brains.

one day I'm at the gas station, at an end pump getting ready to pull out, when one of these idjits pulls up, but not all the way into the parking space beside the store, so he's blocking folks in the first row of pumps from exiting. all his buddies hop out run into the store for their Dew & Chew. while they're in the store, 'ol Beavis out in the truck is getting impatient, and starts just filling the whole lot with coal smoke...
see these idiots all summer running their Mud Caked Cherokees around with no doors.

one had a geo Metro hatchback, with the doors and the hatch off.

Actually with all the emissions equipment, most diesel vehicles put out very little if any smoke under heavy load. I shouldn't get a "blast of smoke" from anyone. Not all diesel owners are bad, that isn't the point. The point is to target those who intentionally do this to people.

I totally agree. But why doesn't the media then go after the pompous enviro whack [censored] who illegally harass law abiding citizens who drive trucks who are just minding their own business, with equal zeal??? Their agenda is blatantly clear.

Last edited:
My truck has a tune and does not smoke. There are specific tunes that will allow you to smoke like crazy if you want to which apparently these bone heads do. You have a few people who are making the rest of us with diesel trucks who use them for work or towing look bad.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Originally Posted By: Quest

We share the air together, you and I. It's not a matter of whose "environmentalist" or prius-driver but such reckless, redneck action should be taken into the justice systems, similar to those who intentionally modify their street vehicles into flame-throwers, etc.

coal-rollers when caught (with tempered emissions, etc. for the intentions of generating more soot during acceleration) should have their vehicles forfeited and at least another 30~50k fines imposed on them.

Ignorance is bliss me sees it and they impose their so-called "rights" on others in this case, in the name of their own "rights"...

We should have laws similar to that in Germany or Japan, where strict motor vehicle regulation and inspections are a normal part of owning, if not operating a street-legal automobile.

Q.

How could you legally prove in a court of law that someone "rolled coal" on another??? I'm sure there are some diesels that have tunes that put out a bit more smoke than normal, and would pass emissions. You going to give them a ticket every-time they accelerate and smoke comes out the exhaust?

we have mandatory emissions inspections here in our area, which also covers diesel automobiles and trucks, etc. One of the compulsory inspection has to do with exhaust opacity (diesel soot) of some sort, so it's not impossible to compare against factory standardised limit to see if the truck has been "modified" or not.

dumpster trucks, 18-wheelers, etc. have the same inspections also.

Whether it's easy to prove legally on court the intentions may be of question, but at least we have the system already in place to enforce emissions to begin with.

Q.

http://www2.epa.gov/enforcement/air-enforcement#mobile

Defeat devices. It is a violation of the CAA to manufacture, sell, or install a part for a motor vehicle that bypasses, defeats, or renders inoperative any emission control device. For example, computer software that alters diesel fuel injection timing is a defeat device. Defeat devices, which are often sold to enhance engine performance, work by disabling a vehicle's emission controls, causing air pollution. As a result of EPA enforcement, some of the largest manufacturers of defeat devices have agreed to pay penalties and stop the sale of defeat devices.

Tampering. The CAA prohibits anyone from tampering with an emission control device on a motor vehicle by removing it or making it inoperable prior to or after the sale or delivery to the buyer. A vehicle's emission control system is designed to limit emissions of harmful pollutants from vehicles or engines. EPA works with manufacturers to ensure that they design their components with tamper-proofing, addresses trade groups to educate mechanics about the importance of maintaining the emission control systems, and prosecutes cases where significant or imminent harm is occurring.

I totally agree. But why doesn't the media then go after the pompous enviro whack [censored] who illegally harass law abiding citizens who drive trucks who are just minding their own business, with equal zeal??? Their agenda is blatantly clear.

Yeah I agree. That lady with the Prius in the video should be charged with harassment, and there is really no point to her argument. Yelling at random people in diesel trucks won't accomplish anything since most of them don't roll coal.

I know there are laws against removal of emissions equipment on diesels but enforcement is the problem. Most of these idiots who blow smoke have the attitude that "I can do whatever the F I want". Maybe if they got slapped with some hefty fines daddy wouldn't pay for their truck anymore.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
My truck has a tune and does not smoke. There are specific tunes that will allow you to smoke like crazy if you want to which apparently these bone heads do. You have a few people who are making the rest of us with diesel trucks who use them for work or towing look bad.

Exactly. The few bad eggs give everyone a bad rep. I have no problem with diesel tuning when it is done correctly. You can get lots of power and economy out of a diesel truck without blowing smoke and looking like a fool. The problem is these guys who blow smoke don't care about towing or economy, they just do it to show off and be D-bags.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
There is one I see every now and then around here.

Huge pipe thru the truck bed, And a sticker of Calvin taking a leak on the word prius.

I dont get it one bit.
you would if you drove an unmodified diesel and had prius owners blocking your fuel pumps all the time.here many of the prius owners have an anti diesel agenda.2 wrongs dont make right of course. i have had to go to more expensive stations to fuel because of the prius blocking the only diesel pump. they like to block the pumps between 630-8am and 5-6p at night. this will come to a head soon . i plan on hooking a chain to the next one blocking the diesel pump. ill move that prius and i wont make any smoke doing it.

There is a video on You Tube of someone moving a car that is parked in front of a diesel pump. I think the poster was Diesel Dave.

Typical of the liberal eco-wackos that run this country. They have no understanding of anything other than what extremist news sources like Huffington Post tell them. Furthermore, they have a complete inability to think for themselves.

I can't believe they block the pumps - that's crazy!

I probably wouldn't push / hook a chain to it for fear of damaging it and ending up being on the front page of Huffington Post titled as a "Right wing , anti environmentalist, gun nut, racist, homophobic, xenophobic, fascist truck owner". I'd get a set of dollies like the repomen and put it under the front wheels to roll it away.

I don't like "rolling coal". I don't see a point in overfueling to the point of causing it to puke out black smoke. Old 18 wheelers used to have mirrors pointed at the exhaust stack so the driver could watch and avoid rolling the coal on hills.

Now, I do think it's cool when I get stuck behind an older dump truck or something and there's a bit of black smoke coming out, but nothing like the smoke tunes.

The good news is - they usually end up darwining themselves. They throw a smoke tune on it or a speed tune, don't monitor EGTs and blow it up. I know a guy locally who bought a nice F350 diesel work truck. Didn't think he was going to do it- but he bro-ified it. Smoke tune, stacks through the bed ... blew the transmission up in a few weeks.

Those prius owners forget the carbon footprint of their cars. The stuff in the battery has to get mined, then refined- then shipped to japan then the whole thing gets shipped back here. For awhile- the lithium was coming from Canada so basically the battery started in Canada, went to japan then back again. They have consumed a large amount of resources just getting the thing here. They start with a big negative.

My state has a "4 second rule" for visible emissions. Would like to see dashcams used to enforce this.

It's super duper easy to reflash a stock tune; you could probably do it in the time between pulling over and shutting off and having a cop at your door. Wouldn't be a hassle for an annual inspection.

Even if one has an economy tune, it puts out invisible stuff like NOx that might or might not matter, but pollutes the air and indirectly brings even worse factory tunes for the rest of us to suffer under if the EPA catches a jurisdiction with enough "unhealthy air days". My county was busted in the 1990s for "bad air days" and we still suffer an OBDII scan-- we can't shake it off because we'd have to do all the expensive legwork proving it's not needed.

I don't see the point in rolling coal. It just makes the truck look like an old broken school bus with bad injectors.

I imagine the conversation in their head is something like

"Getting my pickup to puke out black smoke is so much more cooler than the 3' wing and muffler I put on my old Honda civic"

There is no point. You're overfueling the engine. Black smoke = unburnt fuel. It's not a GDI engine, so it doesn't benefit from cooler cylinder temps when doing this. Drives EGTs up, soots up things everywhere.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Old 18 wheelers used to have mirrors pointed at the exhaust stack so the driver could watch and avoid rolling the coal on hills.

Did not know that. But was it to not roll coal, or was it to keep EGT's down?

Originally Posted By: tdpark
Those prius owners forget the carbon footprint of their cars. The stuff in the battery has to get mined, then refined- then shipped to japan then the whole thing gets shipped back here. For awhile- the lithium was coming from Canada so basically the battery started in Canada, went to japan then back again. They have consumed a large amount of resources just getting the thing here. They start with a big negative.

Pretty sure stuff gets shipped all around, not just out of Canada, and not just for Prius.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
There is no point. You're overfueling the engine. Black smoke = unburnt fuel. It's not a GDI engine, so it doesn't benefit from cooler cylinder temps when doing this. Drives EGTs up, soots up things everywhere.

At the moment my Jetta rolls coal above 3k. Haven't figured out why. Below 3k it's not so bad, but I think it's smoking there too. But at 4k at WOT--wowzer, it's bad right now.

I gotta convince myself to finish selling it...

Originally Posted By: badtlc
The irony in all this is that diesels are more environmentally friendly than a Prius.

Are you sure about that?

A delivery service in California discovered that the reason for using a Prius is low operating costs. They've been using them since 2005. They have 5 that are over 500K miles with no major repairs and not one battery problem. They have no fan belt driving accessories and the transmission is not a CVT. It's a planetary gearbox that never shifts gears, has not pumps or valve body and has no reverse and is sealed for life. Brakes come close to lasting 200K miles before being replaced. Forget the green talk, if you drive a lot they are cheap and reliable to operate. Ignore the environmental whack jobs about the Prius and look at operating costs, instead. And remember that the Prius really only makes sense if you drive a lot and keep the car.

This company also delivers and moves mobile homes and has 6 diesel trucks so they are familiar with both types of vehicles. They say that maintenance on a diesel truck must absolutely be done on schedule and is not cheap. They say that missing maintenance can turn a clean running diesel into a vehicle that is not very friendly to the environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back