Ugh. Einstein and his diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I'm sure. A prius can't recover from the manufacturing of its current batteries. Regardless of carbon footprint the toxic damage done by the battery production is asinine. Unless it has become OK to completely ruin land in the name of reduced carbon footprint, prius doesn't make sense in any direction but one.

You're referring to the Bayan Obo region of China and your correct. The mining is a problem but it not just the metals used in batteries, it's everything they're doing there. The ground water was not usable before the mining because of all the deposits but it took them a while to start the cleanup. I hope some smart person/corporation will come up with capacitors to replace the batteries.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Old 18 wheelers used to have mirrors pointed at the exhaust stack so the driver could watch and avoid rolling the coal on hills.

Did not know that. But was it to not roll coal, or was it to keep EGT's down?

Originally Posted By: tdpark
Those prius owners forget the carbon footprint of their cars. The stuff in the battery has to get mined, then refined- then shipped to japan then the whole thing gets shipped back here. For awhile- the lithium was coming from Canada so basically the battery started in Canada, went to japan then back again. They have consumed a large amount of resources just getting the thing here. They start with a big negative.

Pretty sure stuff gets shipped all around, not just out of Canada, and not just for Prius.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
There is no point. You're overfueling the engine. Black smoke = unburnt fuel. It's not a GDI engine, so it doesn't benefit from cooler cylinder temps when doing this. Drives EGTs up, soots up things everywhere.

At the moment my Jetta rolls coal above 3k. Haven't figured out why. Below 3k it's not so bad, but I think it's smoking there too. But at 4k at WOT--wowzer, it's bad right now.

I gotta convince myself to finish selling it...

Mainly avoiding higher EGTs from what I understand. That was a good way to pseudo monitor it, I guess, without a pyrometer. If it's pulling hard enough at a lower RPM and enough to start puking out black smoke, then it's likely starting to build up higher EGTs.

These people generate so many carcinogens without reason, I think they should be punished by forcing coal rollers to inhale asbestos and cigarette ashes.

I could understand if someone has a diesel that was primitive in design and it is smoky, but what I am seeing is modern trucks that shouldn't blow more than a few puffs of smoke.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
My state has a "4 second rule" for visible emissions. Would like to see dashcams used to enforce this.

Yes, this is a good one. But it's just another law that will be selectively enforced...

The way some guys blow smoke around here, along with the places they choose to do it should make it a reckless driving offense, just like doing a huge smokey burnout in traffic.

Just this morning I was on my way to Home Depot, and there was a big diesel truck in front of me. There was a car that was waiting on a side road to pull out. There was plenty of room between the diesel truck and me for the car to pull in, but as the truck went by the car (it happened to be a hybrid) they belched a bunch of black smoke. This made the driver stop pulling out halfway into the road, and forced me to slam on the brakes.
mad.gif

Of course, this area of the road then merges onto the highway, and with a big cloud of smoke the truck was a mile down the highway and soon out of sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back