1990 toyota corolla diesel 1.8d motor oil

What is the difference between a 25w50 multigrade oil and a sae 30 monograde oil? What oil would you recommend for a 1990 toyota corolla diesel 1.8 d 1C engine?
I live in tropical climate in nicaragua a country where the lowest temperature ever recorded was around 59 degrees F or 15 celsius and temperature maintains between 72 and 86 degrees F or 22 to 30 degrees Celsius, in may temperatures may get up to 100 degrees F or 38 degrees celsius. The vehicle was just purchased and has around 270,000 km. I dont have the owners manual.
These are the engine oils available to me:

shell rotella t1 sae 30 straight grade specs
shell rimula t4 x 15w40 multigrade specs
shell rimula r2 25w50 multigrade specs
liquimoly mos2 low friction 20w-50 specs

which of these oils would you recommend?

thanks

jorge

Hi Jorge! Welcome to the site. Your engine originally called for a 10w30 CD rated diesel oil. Of the oils you listed, I would use the Rimula T4 or Rotella T1. Both are CF rated diesel oils and exceed the CD rating. Either will work fine for your application and are closest to the recommended weight.

i also see there is available
shell rimula r4 15w40 with ci-4 plus specs
castrol crb turbomax 15w40 with ci-4 specs
delo ultra gold 15w40 with ci-4 specs
castrol crb turbo g4 with ci-4 plus and cj-4 specs
mobil delvac mx 15w40 with ci-4 specs
valvoline all fleet e700 plus 15w40 with ci-4 plus specs
pennzoil long life gold 15w40 with cJ-4 specs

rimula r4 has ci-4 plus which i would imagine is better than rimula r4 x which is only ci-4. although castrol crb turbo g4 and pennzoil long life gold 15w40 are both cJ-4.

which of these oils would you recommend?

You dont really need a "low saps" HDEO in your 30+ years old engine :)

Not protection vise...but more $$$ vise...

Any name brand 15W40 HDEO with CI-4 or CI-4Plus spec. Buy on price.

Your 1990 engine wasn’t designed around the more modern low-SAPS oils, so no need for anything newer, which would cost more anyway.

john deere plus 50 II 15W40 with cJ-4. was the corolla diesel in 1990 filled with synthetic motor oil from the factory?

As we keep saying, any high SAPS diesel rated 15W-40 is perfect for this engine. I am probably the only one here with any actual experience with these engines, and the only thing you need to worry about is the cambelt and cooling system. I've explained the cambelt problem - bucket followers in a diesel, when the belt breaks the valves get pushed up into the cam, breaking it. ANY overheating and the head will crack, we never repair them, complete new heads are relatively cheap and the best option. So, keep on top of those 2 issues and this engine will slog on to over 500,000km no problem.

As we keep saying, any high SAPS diesel rated 15W-40 is perfect for this engine. I am probably the only one here with any actual experience with these engines, and the only thing you need to worry about is the cambelt and cooling system. I've explained the cambelt problem - bucket followers in a diesel, when the belt breaks the valves get pushed up into the cam, breaking it. ANY overheating and the head will crack, we never repair them, complete new heads are relatively cheap and the best option. So, keep on top of those 2 issues and this engine will slog on to over 500,000km no problem.

Best cambelt that I can find is Gates made in USA. Is this good cambelt for Corolla diesel?

I would like to use peak fleet charge coolant. Is this good coolant for Corolla diesel?

Gates is established manufacturer...no worries here! (if its not a counterfit one)

Regarding coolant....one way or another you would have to be a little OCD regarding its change interval....so you dont need expensive LongLife ones....I have the same problem with my LC....regarding "head cracking"....so just use G11 (its blue or green in colour)....and its cheap and easy available....

Consider to upgrade to lower temp thermostat....I have 76C in mine instead of 82C which was as original one...

Gates belt looks original. Is the diesel 1C motor in 1990 corolla an iron head or an aluminum head?

Back