U.S. Rotella 5-40 / vs CAN. Rotella 0-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've been able to learn, both here and elsewhere, the U.S. Rotella 5-40 is a Group III+ and the Rotella 0-40, made and sold in Canada is a Group IV. I'm currently using the U.S. Rotella 5-40 (picked up half a dozen jugs, when I went to the "Destructive Devices" display in Knob Creek, KY. a while back). I also have a couple of jugs of the Can. Rotella 0-40, which I had intended to use in my '03 GL1800 - - however, I read (here) back at the beginning of the year, that the Can. 0-40, is not to be used in motorcycles, as it would/may adversely affect the clutch. Do any of you gentlemen have any further, or more recent information on this issue, that you could elaborate on - if so, your input would be most welcome. Thanks for reading - Doug

Knob Creek - Wahoo!

Anyway, Shell Canada is now supplying RTS in the same American viscosity rating of 5W-40 that is so popular with wet clutch applications. I EXPECT that it is also a Grp. lll oil as well. The 0W-40 oil that Shell has been selling is likely from a better bease stock but it has ruined some clutches I am given to understand according to the Tech Expert on the RTS website. He advised to NOT use it in bikes.
I have used the American RTS to good effect in my FJR.

You knows what I knows...

John.

Thanks John - I was just wondering if there had been any new info since you posted the warning in Feb. - Like, what was in the Can. Rotella, that wet clutches didn't like. I talked to a Shell tech. rep. after I read your post - to see if someone there could expand on the subject - he was pretty vague - he either didn't know why, or wouldn't say why, the Can. Rotella was not suitable for wet clutches - just that he had heard it wasn't a good idea to use it. Haven't seen a VOA on the Can. Rotella, so I have no clue, what the add. could be that's causing the problem.
I guess I was hoping to hear that the clutch issue, that was reported, was an anomaly and that there is nothing wrong with using the Can. Rotella in a "shared sump" application. Oh well, TFB. I'll have to sell it to one of the guys at the hall, who drives a VW TDI. - Regards, Doug

Should be the bee's knees in a TDI, I would think. Sorry that I do not know what is in the additive pack that clashes with wet clutches - Shell did not say on their website. They endorse both of the American Rotella T oils (syn & dino) for wet clutches but they make no bones about NOT using the 0w-40 variety that we have. And if I recall correctly, there was more than one fellow that posted to the web page about clutch slippage on the Shell Canada Rotella 0w-40.

By the way, Esso XD-3 0w-40 full synthetic (real synthetic, not Group lll) works like a charm in my SRX-600. I was at a Peterbilt shop yesterday getting a gallon jug filled with regular 15w-40 Delo (for my wife's new DL650 that is being broke in) and the parts guy tells me that next year he will get me a twenty-litre pail of XD-3 if I like for my bikes once the oil collection I have now gets whittled down - that might be LATE next year...! Anyway, I can get it at cost. Amazing offer. Didn't inquire as to what cost would be but I think that I shall just get it regardless. Probably run the Jetta 1.8T on it once my supply of German Castrol depletes.

John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back