Type 1 Diabetics - New Research

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source: https://interestingengineering.com/...rowing-cells-in-type-1-diabetes-patients

For the millions worldwide who live with Type 1 diabetes, the daily task of constantly maintaining or monitoring insulin levels, the hormone which regulates blood sugar levels, is a big job that relies on a disciplined and proactive approach for establishing good health. Of course, to help with this daily reality, a spate of devices and even a vaccine have been developed.

A country-specific approach
The project was organized by T1DUK, a UK-based consortium set up in 2015 exclusively for the purpose of creating and testing solutions aimed at the treatment and prevention of type 1 diabetes.

Among the 18 research centers covered under the organizations, Cardiff was no doubt chosen as the starting point as Wales shows the highest type 1 diabetes numbers in the whole of the UK: although only 7.3% of the 17 and over populations, type 1 patients account for a staggering 191,000, with an additional 540,000 identified as being at risk.

Currently, only two patients have been administered the investigational drug; however, the results have been promising. "I'm really grateful that I was given the opportunity to take part in this study. I hope that my participation will help with the management of Type 1 diabetes for future generations," shared one of the two patients.

The experiments are being coordinated by the Clinical Research Facility (CRF) at Cardiff and Vale University Health Board (UHB).

A radical approach to type 1 diabetes treatment
Beyond a few minor side effects--which to date have not been identified--the holistic approach of harvesting and regrowing the precious cells will widen the scope of treatment options available when it is further developed.

Dr. Mohammad Alhadj Ali, sub-investigator working on the Cardiff study, explained how the drug promises to revolutionize the approach that healthcare professionals take towards managing and treating diabetes: "Despite everything achieved in diabetes care, advances in prevention haven't really occurred. More insulin-producing beta cells are needed for those with this form of diabetes and it is estimated that 90% of patients with Type 1 diabetes have less than 5% of insulin-making cells left."

Carys Thomas, interim Director of Health and Care Research Wales, spoke about how the work involving the clinical trials is an important step in getting the pharmaceuticals industry to take more notice of which type 1 diabetes options are being developed:

"It is essential that the NHS works closely with the pharmaceutical industry on research like this to develop drugs that could make a big difference to people's lives. The Clinical Research Facility in Cardiff is not only leading the way in this ground-breaking study but the team's hard work also shows that Wales is competing successfully on an international level to attract global pharmaceutical companies and commercial investment."

I always wondered if some kind of stem cell implantation would be a potential cure.

That's the rational approach that this disease needs.

Linus Pauling (2 times nobel prize winner) established that elevated levels of insulin caused artery blockages...could even induce it in a vein if insulin was administered directly into it.

So the injections (especially in Type 2) aren't the best.

Sounds good.

My wife has type 1 diabetes and I've spoke of it on here before.

Despite being tall and skinny, some people cant believe she has type 1 diabetes when she mentions it because they simply equate people with the word
diabetes as being overweight.

There are people with type 2 diabetes that aren't overweight.

She doesn't get her hopes up for a cure, she manages it and lives her life.

generally type II that many overweight people have from poor lifestyle aka little exercise + TOOOO much food is easily treatable, but Type I is a different story!! if you can afford it there are many CURES overseas that are not allowed in USA likely because big $$$$ drug producers control the market by feeding $$$$$ to politicians-lobbyist to make laws to protect their CASH COWS!!! I believe many cures are suppressed for that reason, sad but true. if a non drug cure it discovered its almost impossible to market + looking at the bull poo that gets published "trying" to discredit many nutritional supplement benefits. we live in a great country pretty much but big $$$$$ controls many things!!!

Originally Posted by skyactiv
My wife has type 1 diabetes and I've spoke of it on here before.

Despite being tall and skinny, some people cant believe she has type 1 diabetes when she mentions it because they simply equate people with the word
diabetes as being overweight.

There are people with type 2 diabetes that aren't overweight.

She doesn't get her hopes up for a cure, she manages it and lives her life.

My spouse is not overweight at all and is Type-2 Diabetic. Now being on the Keto diet together has changed that and medication is no longer needed to keep blood sugar around the 4's (72 mg/dl) whereas before with multiple medications it was hard to keep it under 7 (126 mg/dl)

Both my parents side have Type 1 diabetes so when I got told I was Type-2 it scared the $#!@ out of me and I decided to do something about my weight. Since going Keto as well I haven't needed medication either and my Blood Sugar is about the same as my spouses.

I know I'm reducing the stress on my Pancreas and helping prevent the development of Type-1 down the road which my doctor said I would be headed to because I'm still relatively young to have either.

Originally Posted by benjy
generally type II that many overweight people have from poor lifestyle aka little exercise + TOOOO much food is easily treatable, but Type I is a different story!! if you can afford it there are many CURES overseas that are not allowed in USA likely because big $$$$ drug producers control the market by feeding $$$$$ to politicians-lobbyist to make laws to protect their CASH COWS!!! I believe many cures are suppressed for that reason, sad but true. if a non drug cure it discovered its almost impossible to market + looking at the bull poo that gets published "trying" to discredit many nutritional supplement benefits. we live in a great country pretty much but big $$$$$ controls many things!!!

Im surprised if there was a cure for Type-1 that countries with Socialized medicine like we have here wouldn't have it because it would reduce costs for our healthcare system drastically considering the Diabetes rates. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just I find it strange that we wouldn't have implemented it. We are looking for whatever we can to reduce costs because the boomer generation all retiring and needing more healthcare and not having as many tax-paying kids as there was in their generation is really taxing our healthcare system at the moment. We are managing but if we don't do things to curb major diseases it's going to end up in a bad unsustainable position where we will need to go the private model or increase taxes.

that would surely be GREAT!! BUT until that happens a VERY low carb or even BETTER a CARNIVORE diet can reduct the amount of insulin needed. check out Dr Sten Ekburg for great TRUE info on "how the body works" lots on diabetes as it along with obesity is the REAL PANDEMIC today. most on type II caused by POOR lifestyle habits but same info can help type I where the Pancreas cant make insulin that controls blood sugar- glucose. its rare but slim people are not immune, + sad as its NOT their fault unlike TYPE II that is totally the persons fault!!

that would surely be GREAT!! BUT until that happens a VERY low carb or even BETTER a CARNIVORE diet can reduct the amount of insulin needed. check out Dr Sten Ekburg for great TRUE info on "how the body works" lots on diabetes as it along with obesity is the REAL PANDEMIC today. most on type II caused by POOR lifestyle habits but same info can help type I where the Pancreas cant make insulin that controls blood sugar- glucose. its rare but slim people are not immune, + sad as its NOT their fault unlike TYPE II that is totally the persons fault!!
I think you need to rethink your views on type 2

Type 2 can be acquired as the result of an infection. An extreme immune response can result in damage to the insulin-making beta cells in the pancreas. That's why diabetes is considered to have an autoimmune component. A colleague's kid got the flu and as a result he became a Type 2. A good number of Covid survivors have come down with diabetes. There's also Type 1.5 LADA (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults). If someone guzzles soda and eats refined starches and deep-fried crap all day long they can expect to induce Type 2 at some point but not all people who get Type 2 are to blame solely due to their lifestyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back