Two Motorcraft FL400S Filters Cut Open

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Since this thread went off track talking about fanboys of Motorcraft, it has to be added why fanboys of Fram Ultras, those who have rigidly made up their minds, are so intensely interested in going endlessly over how terrible Motorcraft is.
Funny, but you were the first person to mention any other brand than Motorcraft and from I have read, no one has recommended any other filter, just that MC filters (particularly the FL-820s) tear and there are better filters on the market for the same price point.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Since this thread went off track talking about fanboys of Motorcraft, it has to be added why fanboys of Fram Ultras, those who have rigidly made up their minds, are so intensely interested in going endlessly over how terrible Motorcraft is.
Funny, but you were the first person to mention any other brand than Motorcraft and from I have read, no one has recommended any other filter, just that MC filters (particularly the FL-820s) tear and there are better filters on the market for the same price point.

Yeah, it's obvious who has an agenda after that post. Just another troller ...
Trolling.gif

Fact is ... anybody that raves how good any product is despite lots of evidence that a product has issues is a fanboy blind to reality. It's their right to be blind, but it's kind of funny how people lock-on to misconception.

I run a FL-400S on my Harley Davidson Softail - -

"Front-and-Center" for all the world to see.... It has started more than one conversation!

Short of media tearing free and plugging an oil passage, a failure would likely be rare, though increased wear could be a possibility.

Very true - - only a very small portion of the oil flows through the torn area, the rest of the oil flows through the rest of the filter media.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

No, I didn't. There was a MOD here that shut down my thread about my posting of the filters. I posted a few before she shut it down.
And, I don't care what YOU think. I cut them open and there were no tears!
When a person uses their fingers to press on the pleats, sure, there will be tears.
smirk2.gif

Again, MC oil filters are still the BEST made!
cool.gif

So you really expect us to believe you cut open all these filters, none were torn, you conveniently only posted pics of a couple of these many filters, and every poster that had a torn motorcraft pushed on the media to tear it?!
With all due respect that very flawed logic taking into account all the different people that have had tears, many of which wanted to like motorcrafts, as they had the proper bypass and are affordable.
At this point I am going to have to believe the dozens of tear threads, including my own with only 3000 miles, over someone that refuses to post pics, and makes wild sabotage accusations at everyone that posts a tear.

"It has to be added" means the topic switched to fan boys so why not include the Fram fan boys. Perfectly logical.
So where is the answer, why do Fram fanboys which is fair game to say, come aggressively to Motorcraft threads, since they already have made their choice? What is the purpose? Anything?

"It has to be added" means the topic switched to fan boys so why not include the Fram fan boys. Perfectly logical.
So where is the answer, why do Fram fanboys which is fair game to say, come aggressively to Motorcraft threads, since they already have made their choice? What is the purpose? Anything?

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I say this, I am not a fanboy of any of them and have used most every brand. With that said, no one in the thread spoke anything but the truth about MC FL-820s filters except perhaps for one or two posters. You must be seeing something I am not since no one said anything about FRAM much less posting in "fanboy style" about them.

The "fanboy" subject came up because only fanboys would continue to deny that there's a repetitive issue with a product, and claim it's all fake and make up ... or guys on the Ford boards (like mentioned) that rave about them when they probably never cut open filters or never read a forum like this one and see what's really going on. So yeah, there are fanboys, and always will be fanboys like there will always be Flat Earthers. Then there are guys who try to badmouth certain brands if they see even one flaw posted every 3 years - those are the guys who have an obvious trolling agenda.

I don't think your comments were directed at me and I merely brought up the responses I see on Ford Forums by people who appear over time to be mechanically inclined or actually are in the business...I don't pay much attention to fan boys as they don't have much meat in their responses anyway...I just read responses by people in the business or who have had their engines apart (the 5.4 3V has issues) and have not seen problems attributed to the filter...

furthermore, several other filters are mentioned on BITOG that have their ADBV located at the other end of the filter or their favorite filter has a different pressure value but that doesn't seem to bother some here...me, I do not know so I tend to rely on the experiences of others and I never read any consensus on filters beyond the Motorcraft version as being superior to the Motorcraft version except on this Forum and those that speak loudest narrow to the tears upon cutting one open but again...I never read of any engine issues when using the Motorcraft filter, proper oil and following a proper oil and filter replacement...

Bill

I am not trying to convince anyone of anything...it is I who is seeking information but it seems all I read here is that cutting open FL820S filters shows that the pleats are torn on several but no evidence of any issues when following the manufacturers recommendations for an OCI

Bill

Originally Posted by silversport
I am not trying to convince anyone of anything...it is I who is seeking information but it seems all I read here is that cutting open FL820S filters shows that the pleats are torn on several but no evidence of any issues when following the manufacturers recommendations for an OCI

Bill

Did you watch the YouTube video by Ford I posted on page 3 of this thread? Just because torn media doesn't "blow-up" a motor doesn't mean they can't cause other problems. Like it's been said many times here ... if people want to run filters that have a history of tearing media, then go for it ... it's your vehicle.
grin2.gif

furthermore, several other filters are mentioned on BITOG that have their ADBV located at the other end of the filter or their favorite filter has a different pressure value but that doesn't seem to bother some here...

BTW ... the ADBV is always located on the base plate end of an oil filter. The bypass valve can be on either end.

thank you...that's what I meant and I appreciate the correction and information...I don't recall making the blown up engine worry just wondered where the engine issues are with using Motorcraft oil filters with a Ford if the filters themselves were cheap, defective or at least prone to various levels of failure...

Bill

Last edited:
thank you...that's what I meant and I appreciate the correction and information...I don't recall making the blown up engine worry just wondered where the engine issues are with using Motorcraft oil filters with a Ford if the filters themselves were cheap, defective or at least prone to various levels of failure...

Bill

I was saying that torn media will probably not "blow-up" an engine - didn't say anyone claimed they would. But, like the Ford Tech Talk video shows, torn filter media can cause problems. Best way to mitigate the risk is to not use filters that tear. And as always, if someone wants to take the risk knowing what the risk is, then that's their choice. Still 'Merica.
grin.gif

...and while I agree with you and that video, I have read about countless people who have issues with our 5.4 3V engine, have had them apart and the issues have never been (but I've only been on those Forums for about 18 months) caused by torn oil filter media...I appreciate your information just as I appreciate the information from many others...

Bill

...and while I agree with you and that video, I have read about countless people who have issues with our 5.4 3V engine, have had them apart and the issues have never been (but I've only been on those Forums for about 18 months) caused by torn oil filter media...I appreciate your information just as I appreciate the information from many others...

Bill

Well...yeah, that is because the VCT system on a 5.4L is a POS and most owners experience a problem with it at some point, especially if varnish forms inside the engine. I had one for 5 years and was very lucky that I had no issues as compared to what I have read.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Again, MC oil filters are still the BEST made!
cool.gif

Says the
Trolling.gif
-er who's using a Mobil 1 filter.
lol.gif

MC, the oil filter approved by Vette owners!
crackmeup2.gif

Bill

Even if an engine never used and oil filter, and if the oil was changed often, most people would never see any "engine damage" - they might see more wear if they did before and after micrometer measurements. I guess if people don't care if there is potential for pieces of torn media to go downstream (like discussed in the Ford video), and for unfiltered oil to bypass all the time, then that's their choice.

On some engines (like the 2015+ Coyote), Ford superseded the FL-820S with the FL-500S. From the C&Ps in this forum, the FL-500S does not show media tearing like the FL-820S does.

crackmeup2.gif

Your bait is getting stale, lol.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
crackmeup2.gif

Your bait is getting stale, lol.

LOL! I will try harder.
I bought an FL-400S for my next OCI. I'm even moving up the oil food chain. I will be using Amsoil SS 5W30.
banana2.gif

OP, I always love your postings here as I follow them a lot. You and MrQuackers posts I always see good results. Thank You good sir 🇺🇸ðŸ‘

Back