Two Motorcraft FL400S Filters Cut Open

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
They're still the best.
thumbsup2.gif

Dang, no ones vein is popping out their neck?
lol.gif

Not any more. A while back maybe when we thought it was going to be a rational discussion. Now it is a realization of something completely different.

Yeah, most people are way beyond believing that they are "still the best" ... or ever were "the best" to start with.

I still say they're the best made oil filters!

I'm surprised at the bad press the FL820S gets on this Forum when I look on the F150 Forum and see the huge number of people who would not use any other filter than that...and I don't read about any observed failures of the FL820S filter or issues caused by them...it is still the top recommended filter for its application...I've used only the FL820S based on the recommendations over there for the last 4 oil changes and have observed no issues (I know that doesn't mean there are no issues) I can attribute to that oil filter...

Bill

Originally Posted by silversport
I'm surprised at the bad press the FL820S gets on this Forum when I look on the F150 Forum and see the huge number of people who would not use any other filter than that...and I don't read about any observed failures of the FL820S filter or issues caused by them...it is still the top recommended filter for its application...I've used only the FL820S based on the recommendations over there for the last 4 oil changes and have observed no issues (I know that doesn't mean there are no issues) I can attribute to that oil filter...

Bill

How many of them do they cut open and inspect?

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
I'm surprised at the bad press the FL820S gets on this Forum when I look on the F150 Forum and see the huge number of people who would not use any other filter than that...and I don't read about any observed failures of the FL820S filter or issues caused by them...it is still the top recommended filter for its application...I've used only the FL820S based on the recommendations over there for the last 4 oil changes and have observed no issues (I know that doesn't mean there are no issues) I can attribute to that oil filter..
^^^ this^^^ - no way they are not experiencing the same level of tears as noted on BITOG, they are likely not opening them to see.

Originally Posted by cronk
They're still the best.
thumbsup2.gif

lol.gif

Didnt you say a while back you had some FL 820's to cut and post?
They may change your opinion.

Yes Sir, I cut 8 of them open, and NO TEARS! Does that disappoint you?
coffee2.gif
35.gif

did you update your thread with any pics?

I guess i have to be that guy "pics or it didnt happen"!

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
^^^ this^^^ - no way they are not experiencing the same level of tears as noted on BITOG, they are likely not opening them to see.
Tearing is more more likely to occur in silversport's neighborhood than in balmy Louisiana.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Tearing is more more likely to occur in silversport's neighborhood than in balmy Louisiana.

Based upon what has been posted here, they tear no matter in what part of the country they are operated.

They sure have the potential … that's what I learned from cutting open several brand new filters … It's just very weak paper along with some wipe spaced pleats …

I guess my point is that if there are all these failures for the FL820S filter, why haven't there been many engine failures attributed to those oil filter failures???...I've read many of the posters with 150K-300K and one with more than 400K miles on their engines without an oil related issue (other engine issues that aren't oil related though) ...

Bill

Last edited:
I guess my point is that if there are all these failures for the FL820S filter, why haven't there been many engine failures attributed to those oil filter failures???...I've read many of the posters with 150K-300K and one with more than 400K miles on their engines without an oil related issue (other engine issues that aren't oil related though) ...
Short of media tearing free and plugging an oil passage, a failure would likely be rare, though increased wear could be a possibility. A better question is why would you pay for and use a filter that is known to tear when there are so many other choices out there that are much more efficient and at comparable price points?

Originally Posted by tig1
I use the MC 910 filter on my Craftsman rider, but I also have used the 910 on my Fords for around 300K with very fine service. In fact of all the filters available I choose the 910 as my go to filter. I have had less than good service with other brands, including the M1 cartridge for my 2007 Fusion. Now the 820 is another story.

The MC FL400s is the same as the 910 but the 400 is longer (more media). All other specs are the same. If you have room for the longer 400, you might give it a try. My Tacoma specs the 910 as standard replacement and I recently started running the 400 with good results.

Bill

This is why torn oil filter media can be bad. As others have said, unlikely it would cause a massive engine failure. Video even shows a cut open filter with torn media

from what I read here it seems that alternative filters either have the anti drain back valve in a different location or something else is different than the original design...I'm not doubting what I can clearly see from posts on this Forum about the Motorcraft filters but I also read many posts and advice from others on forums who work on these engines that use the Motorcraft filter and it is still their recommendation...you can understand the conflict can't you???

...and I want to add apologies for continuing to stray from the original posters thread...

Bill

They're still the best.
thumbsup2.gif

lol.gif

Didnt you say a while back you had some FL 820's to cut and post?
They may change your opinion.

Yes Sir, I cut 8 of them open, and NO TEARS! Does that disappoint you?
coffee2.gif
35.gif

did you update your thread with any pics?

I guess i have to be that guy "pics or it didnt happen"!

No, I didn't. There was a MOD here that shut down my thread about my posting of the filters. I posted a few before she shut it down.
And, I don't care what YOU think. I cut them open and there were no tears!
When a person uses their fingers to press on the pleats, sure, there will be tears.
smirk2.gif

Again, MC oil filters are still the BEST made!
cool.gif

cool.gif

Tearing issues aside, it is pretty darn hard for them to be the "best" with a 93.7% @ 20um efficiency rating.

from what I read here it seems that alternative filters either have the anti drain back valve in a different location or something else is different than the original design...I'm not doubting what I can clearly see from posts on this Forum about the Motorcraft filters but I also read many posts and advice from others on forums who work on these engines that use the Motorcraft filter and it is still their recommendation...you can understand the conflict can't you???

...and I want to add apologies for continuing to stray from the original posters thread...

Bill

Re: part in red ... it's simply because they are die-hard fanboys. If they saw many reports of media tearing I'm sure most of them (with some common sense) wouldn't hang on with their fanboy viewpoint. If you showed them torn filters with all the paint removed from the can so they didn't know what brand it was (the blind tearing test), you think they would still want to use those filters?

cool.gif

Says the
Trolling.gif
-er who's using a Mobil 1 filter.
lol.gif

Since this thread went off track talking about fanboys of Motorcraft, it has to be added why fanboys of Fram Ultras, those who have rigidly made up their minds, are so intensely interested in going endlessly over how terrible Motorcraft is. Is it they are such fine people they just want to help the world see the light, or is it some personal reason?
I wouldn't have a problem using a genuine 820s, because for one I don't drive hard, change oil often, and probably wouldn't stress it much.
10.gif

Back