Turo Rental: 2022 Toyota Sienna Hybrid

Most of the things that you mention being negatives, would probably not be an issue for me. I've rented one of these before and the droning is not that bad compared to some other CVT cars that I've driven. Don't care about the ground clearance. 2nd row not folding flat is a bit of an issue for Home Depot runs but I could probably look past it. When some of these get 3-4 years old maybe I'll try to pick one up.

The fuel mileage is a huge feature for us. I averaged 46 on the one I rented, mostly lower speeds around town. I don't think it's realistic to think I could get that long term, but I'd be thrilled with 35. My navi averages 12-14. It's better now that gas is cheaper but when it was over $4 it sat a lot more.

Most of the things that you mention being negatives, would probably not be an issue for me. I've rented one of these before and the droning is not that bad compared to some other CVT cars that I've driven. Don't care about the ground clearance. 2nd row not folding flat is a bit of an issue for Home Depot runs but I could probably look past it. When some of these get 3-4 years old maybe I'll try to pick one up.

The fuel mileage is a huge feature for us. I averaged 46 on the one I rented, mostly lower speeds around town. I don't think it's realistic to think I could get that long term, but I'd be thrilled with 35. My navi averages 12-14. It's better now that gas is cheaper but when it was over $4 it sat a lot more.
I am not sure that is an argument for. It is not as bad as, IDK, Nissan Versa? We are talking vehicle that in the Platinum version costs easily 60k with tax (before this market adjustment nonsense). It kind of proves that you are getting 36k vehicle with goodies.
Like I said, ground clearance might not be an issue for most people, so it is dependent on usage.

As for Navi and consumption, you really do not need hybrid to beat that :)

You must have an extremely small/tight 3 car garage? Don't understand how a minivan can't fit either in width or length anywhere regardless of the mirrors.
OK, here is how it looks. House is built in 2014, so it is new building codes etc. Here is third car garage door. It is single door separated by pillar from double car garage door. That side, if you look at the fridge, has like deeper ending, by about 3ft. So minivan can actually be parked there. and still have some space for tires.
Third car garage.jpg

Here is double car garage. It is shorter by 3ft. Pay attention to where garage starts and where is the wall. Before I sold Sienna I had VW and BMW parked here. Now, BMW is in the third stall. Tiguan is SHORT vehicle. It would fit maybe, maybe, if I parked the vehicle all the way to the wall, but then I cannot move anywhere. Still, to park next to Tiguan I have to again close the mirrors and then open the doors of Sienna or Tiguan?
With closing mirrors, it is really not an issue. I could go forward, close my side and be super close to the pillar on my left. But, the margin is none existant for any kind of mistake. However, regardless, electric closing of mirrors comes in handy in parking spots etc, and it is ridiculous that this kind of vehicle does not have it. When I lock BMW my mirrors automatically close, and I do not worry whether on the parking lot someone is going to accidentally bump into the mirror while trying to squeeze between cars, or at least the possibility is lower. And 328 is a small car, Sienna is wide vehicle.
Tiguan in double garage.jpg

It’s a very tight garage. Lots of newer houses don’t build for large cars anymore.
There are options to get a longer garage with many builders but nobody around here is giving any options whatsoever anymore, due to the supply chain issues. Hopefully we'll get back to that at some point.

Yeah I now see that you are kind of stuck with the space constraints...I was expecting it to be larger. Also kudos for not being the typical junk-hoarding American and actually being able to fit the number of cars in your garage that it is supposed to hold (minus your specific scenario...that's the house's fault)...I thought I was the only one :)

Yeah I now see that you are kind of stuck with the space constraints...I was expecting it to be larger. Also kudos for not being the typical junk-hording American and actually being able to fit the number of cars in your garage that it is supposed to hold (minus your specific scenario...that's the house's fault).
I just built 9X9 shed to move some stuff.
Snowblower, lawn mower, a bunch of garden tools, mulch bags, etc. I have two sets of tires for two cars, three sets for BMW, and a bunch of car tools, oils, etc. It gets tight fast, but I still manage somehow to park all the cars in. Not to mention kids' junk. Now with two cars, I can let kids park bikes around etc., but with the third car, it gets tight fast.

There are options to get a longer garage with many builders but nobody around here is giving any options whatsoever anymore, due to the supply chain issues. Hopefully we'll get back to that at some point.
When we were about to get a house in 2014, we were thinking to build. But the lady who built this house could not close it for whatever reason. And the house has a walkout basement and a covered deck above that gets accessed from the kitchen and living room. And the back side faces the park. There was no one behind, so we jumped on it. The condition was to have three car garage, but I could not do anything about size anymore. Our friends just got a house in Castle Rock, north of here, and built in 2004. Much bigger three-car garage!

edyvw, I've followed your Sienna posts as a former 2015 AWD Limited owner. My wife and I switched to a 2019 Honda Odyssey Elite and then had a 2021 Sienna LE FWD Turo rental during a Florida trip.

I enjoyed the 2021 Sienna rental and agree that the gas mileage was phenomenal. The Sienna was adequately powered after being accustomed to the 3.5L V6 in both the Sienna and Odyssey. I was more forgiving of the missing luxury features as it was LE trim, but thought it was well equipped.

The topic of ground clearance came up. Did you look at the Sienna Woodland trim? It's a very small suspension lift (6.3" vs 6.9" ground clearance) -- not sure it makes enough of a difference for your use case.

My family ultimately moved away from the minivan, but I will miss the ones we had.

Actually I ordered Woodland trim. But, 0.6” difference won’t make much difference. I really like that Woodland has 1500W inverter. But, based on responses from Toyota dealerships, Woodland is super rare due to microchip shortages.
Will see what new Pilot brings and Grand Highlander bring.

Just get a cheap used Grand Caravan and beat on it like it owes you money. Cold start flooring it out if a snow covered driveway on 2 year old oil? No big deal. Wife opens the hatch and garage door at the same time? You’ll have a dent, or you’ll break the garage door, but the hatch will still seal and open/close properly. Need to fold the mirrors in? Just drag them along the garage door opening! They THRIVE on the abuse!

Totally not speaking from experience. Oh… it hasn’t been washed since 2019 when we bought it.

Just get a cheap used Grand Caravan and beat on it like it owes you money. Cold start flooring it out if a snow covered driveway on 2 year old oil? No big deal. Wife opens the hatch and garage door at the same time? You’ll have a dent, or you’ll break the garage door, but the hatch will still seal and open/close properly. Need to fold the mirrors in? Just drag them along the garage door opening! They THRIVE on the abuse!

Totally not speaking from experience. Oh… it hasn’t been washed since 2019 when we bought it.
They don’t thrive on the abuse. I mean, they do if you ignore issues. In 55k I had Sienna I came to third set if brakes bcs. I drive it same way as BMW. Suspension was shot completely at 80. Could I ignor it? Maybe. My neighbor has 3rd generation Sienna that I can hear 100yrd away clunking, but she claims she never had issues.
I need vehicle for 7,000 miles road trips nit daily. My daily is BMW. I ain’t driving Sienna nor any other minivan SUV everyday when I have stick shift in garage, no matter mpg etc.

They don’t thrive on the abuse. I mean, they do if you ignore issues. In 55k I had Sienna I came to third set if brakes bcs. I drive it same way as BMW. Suspension was shot completely at 80. Could I ignor it? Maybe. My neighbor has 3rd generation Sienna that I can hear 100yrd away clunking, but she claims she never had issues.
I need vehicle for 7,000 miles road trips nit daily. My daily is BMW. I ain’t driving Sienna nor any other minivan SUV everyday when I have stick shift in garage, no matter mpg etc.
I was joking that the Grand Caravan thrives on abuse lol 🤣

Back