Turkish coffee blend?

Centuries ago, during the Punic Wars, a coffee house here in town (now defunct) offered a Turkish blend coffee. It was strong, but the main thing I recall is that it had a great scent of roasted peanuts. I'm not interested in going the whole Turkish coffee route, just something that I can brew in a drip coffeemaker that will have that scent and flavor. Are there any roasters out there that offer that?

Centuries ago, during the Punic Wars, a coffee house here in town (now defunct) offered a Turkish blend coffee. It was strong, but the main thing I recall is that it had a great scent of roasted peanuts. I'm not interested in going the whole Turkish coffee route, just something that I can brew in a drip coffeemaker that will have that scent and flavor. Are there any roasters out there that offer that?
Did it have a reddish hue in color?

Everyone knows that the best coffee is from beans which monkeys eat then defecate.

It got me thinking... we are not so genetically different from monkeys, lol. You go first!

Kidding aside, I like the scientific route to a solution. If you want the aroma of peanuts, I was under the impression that peanuts aren't hard to find. Not kidding here, this is akin to what to do when cooking which is a bit what brewing coffee is, that you can add anything you want to the mix to get the desired outcome without resorting to something exotic involving monkeys or high priced exotic ways to arrive at the same outcome.

Then again, the last thing I'm thinking when I reach for the morning joe is "I need more peanuts involved". ;)

Cardamom?

Correct - cardamom added to the grinds prior to brewing provides that distinctive aroma. Though that spice is more typically associated with Arabic coffee, Turkish coffee (which is pretty much the same thing anyhow) is also known to use cardamom on occasion. Not sure the full effect will come through in a drip maker though. Better approach is to just buy your own cezve (Arabic: جَِذوة) and make coffee the way it was intended to be made - without any filter. Pro tip - adding the coffee to the cezve while the water is heating will unlock the fullest flavor, but if you prefer your coffee boiling hot to the taste, let the water boil first and then add the grinds to it. Stir constantly - don't let the cezve overflow - for it makes a mess on your stove.

Had the coffees above actually in both respective countries … but prefer that red bag from Da Swamp

Turkish coffee is a preparation method, not a specific type of coffee bean or roast. I think the flavors you might be remembering are from the spices that are often added like cardamom, cinnamon, and sometimes anise seed (which gives a licorice flavor).

On a side note, my wife bought a fancy hand made copper ibrik (Turkish coffee pot) in a bazaar in Jerusalem. She wanted to try it out but I didn't like the look of the "tin" lining and tested it for lead. Turns out it was lined with lead solder, not tin!

Last edited:
Turkish coffee is a preparation method, not a specific type of coffee bean or roast. I think the flavors you might be remembering are from the spices that are often added like cardamom, cinnamon, and sometimes anise seed (which gives a licorice flavor).

This is correct.

As much as I hate to suggest vending machine coffee (k-cups)...

Back