Coffee review: Best Coffee Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not affiliated with this company in any way, and get no profit from this. I just have a passion for coffee, and spend as much time on coffee as many do here on oil
wink.gif
. If this post is a problem, please let me know, or delete it.

I am constantly trying new coffees: I am in search of the perfect espresso blend, and take coffee so seriously that I have spent over a year apprenticing with a professional roaster, and hope to open my own roaster one day. The best I've had was some custom roasted Italian blend in a coffee shop in Israel. I have been disappointed with the coffee in the US in general.

I frequent www.coffeegeek.com. Based on my description of what I want, a member pointed me to www.coffeeemergency.com . I ordered 1/2lb of Code Brown espresso blend on Fri., recieved a personal reply from Jason, and it was roasted and mailed on Mon and in my hands by Wed. I immediately pulled a double shot of espresso, and though it was not a perfect shot, it was amazing: chocolatey, smooth, thick and creamy, with moderate acidity (not sour, but it has 'sparkle'), and slight berry flavors. It makes excellent crema. I used that 1/2 lb in 6 days, and should be getting some more tomorrow.

It is the best espresso I have ever had, period. I am anxious to try the varietals and other blends the Coffee Emergency offers, but based on the espresso blend, I am confident that the other coffees will be equally outstanding. I highly recommend that any coffee lovers try Jasons coffee. If you place an order, tell him I sent you.

www.coffeeemergency.com

Nate White

Unfortunately I'm like most Americans when it comes to coffee, quantity rather than quality. Beleive it or not I like Dunkins Donuts coffe best, followed by Seattles Best.

quote:

Originally posted by crashz:
Unfortunately I'm like most Americans when it comes to coffee, quantity rather than quality. Beleive it or not I like Dunkins Donuts coffe best, followed by Seattles Best.

In May I took a two week tour of Italy. Several of the people on the trip were quite vocal about how bad Italian coffee was and stopped at several McDonalds to get some "good" coffee
rolleyes.gif

There's good American coffee and there's good Italian coffee, but McD's is neither. It's not bad, just mediocre like most of their food.

I tend to favor light-medium-rosted tropical coffee like Kona, Sumatra, etc., always served black. These have been my favorites for decades. I have been to Italy and cant stand the burnt-tasting stuff that they expect you to dilute with milk. Yeech!

The Starbucks fad is lost on me also, halfway burnt coffee or "foo-foo" coffee drinks.

If you have Trader Joes in your area check out the coffee selection, qualitly and price. While they sell plenty of the burnt stuff for the trend followers, they also have medium roasted African, Latin American and Tropical choices.

quote:

Dunkins Donuts coffee best

I think DD's coffee has two advantages ..fresh ground and fresh cream. I'd rate it number one for "on the road coffee".
quote:

Folgers in the red plastic can.

This I just tried. I've got to admit ...after retiring my bean grinder (trying to recreate that elusive perfect cup of coffee)..this made one slendid potfull of coffee.

I was impressed. The stuff used to be junk ..but now puts Maxwellhouse into second place.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif

The state of coffee drinking in America, OMG, what a shambles!
lol.gif

Hey, to each his own, buy and drink what you like. Good coffee is what tastes good to you.

I will, however, say that the Coffee Emergency coffee will blow away any one of the coffees mentioned above in taste. Maybe you like your Folgers, sure, but that is because you haven't had something better.

Ground coffee goes stale after about 72 hours; whole bean in abouut 10 days. Your bag of starbucks coffee has been out of the roaster for over 5 weeks. Your Folgers can be months old. They are all stale.

Here is the part that should interest the oil geeks here: much of the flavor in coffee is imparted by flavor oils. Those oils are volatile and go rancid very quickly. It is like the oxidation that can occur when using an oil high in esters like Redline sits in an engine without being run for a long time
wink.gif

Plus, these beans are the top 0.5% of all beans produced worldwide, carefully selected for their individual characteristics and quality.

Try it; if you don't like it, you are out $10. I guarantee you will like this coffee better than what you are drinking now.

But if you prefer to go on using 'dino' for 3000 mile OCI's because your gramps told you that is best, then be my guest. Or, step up to the future: 'synthetic' and 7000 mile OCI's!
grin.gif

You know what I mean
wink.gif

No offense meant by any of this, it is purely in fun. I really want Jason at the Coffee Emergency to be successful in his new business, to help a fellow coffee lover out.

Thanks!

Nate

BTW, Coffe Emergency coffee is light to medium roast in general, though Jason roasts each coffee to its optimal level.

Best I've ever had was at an Italian coffee house in Portland Oregon. Can't remember the name but it was real close to the hills (away from the river).

My favorite coffee is fresh Mexican Alturan (sp?) with an outdoor huevos con machacha breakfast in Mexico with the obligatory near frozen beer. It says VACATION!

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:

The Starbucks fad is lost on me also, halfway burnt coffee or "foo-foo" coffee drinks.

Heh heh.

When I go offshore on field support calls I always bring some fresh-ground, flavored coffee. I always get asked, "Did you bring some foo-foo?" and when the guys come in they'll say, "I smell foo-foo, Wayne must be here!"
cool.gif

quote:

The state of coffee drinking in America, OMG, what a shambles!

Hey, to each his own, buy and drink what you like. Good coffee is what tastes good to you.

I've tried various house blends ...lots of flavored stuff. Expresso (yuk!) ..xxxroast this and that.

I appear to like very strong and fresh "Coffee Milk". Blonde and sweet ..just like my wome--err wife
grin.gif

When I feel "metropolitan" ...I can stomach a rather bitter house blend (it usually sucks) and a biskoti (spl?). The two flavors do mix to make a pleasent experience ...but for my 6 cup (actually 3 JUMBO cups = 10 out the 12 in the pot) morning ..the standard American blend (with beans from who knows where
dunno.gif
) suits me best.

Good luck to your pal!!!

Just about any coffee I snatch when I am in Costa Rica.

Britt in the Green labeled container/bag is best bag for buck and is allowed to be exported.

TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back