Coffee review: Best Coffee Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by poison:
fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif

Come here so I can knock you over the head with my Maestro and take your stuff!!!

**** nice choices there, excellent!

Getting the grind and tamp right is very hard and takes practice. For the tamp, get a bathroom scale and when you tamp the portafilter, have it on the scale so you can see what 30lb of force looks like. That is the general vicinity you need, depending on the grind.

A good shot should take about 25 seconds for .75-1.25 oz, depending. A .75 would be short, a ristretto. 1-1.25 is normal.

As for coffee, I'd say Code Brown is the best out there right now, but I really want to try www.terroircoffee.com. It is supposed to be very good.

Vivace is well respected, as are Hines and Stumptown (Hairbender Blend).

www.espressovivace.com
Hines website is not up yet
www.stumptown.com

Keep it up! If you try the Code Brown, please write a review here!

Nate

Moving away from Nate while clutching new prized toys to chest ......

Thanks for the encouragement and the links Nate. Yeah, I'm going to do a bit of tweaking. I'm actually shocked that the local roast is so awesome. Code Brown does seem like my next choice.

Also, the Pulser/Mini seemed very easy to get dialed in. I always pull 3 oz. of water through the portafilter into my cup to stabalize the temps and to get the cup up to temp. Seems to work very well. I was first looking at the Silvia/Rocky, but it was going to be about $750. I got the Pulser/Mini for just over $850 so the incremental price was a no brainer. The Silvia/Rocky combo is just as capable, but the Pulser/Mini may delay the "upgrade fever" that seems to be so easy to catch on CG.

Jack

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:
The best coffee for the money IMO is 8 O'Clock 100% Columbian.

I'll second that! When the local A&P closed for good I was heartbroken
frown.gif
. Thankfully a super sized A&P recently opened only a few minutes from my brother. So now whenever I go to visit bro, I stop at the A&P for a couple bags. I get all warm and fuzzy smelling the bags right after they grind the beans
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Very good call on your part. I have the upgrade fever for sure. It is very hard to make good capps and lattes (plural) with a single boiler, and also the Silvia is not very temp stable, so much surfing is required.

Someday...

Glad to hear you have a good local source for beans!

Nate

Nate,

Thought about PIDing that Silvia? There was a PIDed Silvia for sale a couple of weeks ago and it was gone before I had a chance to make an inquiry. If you only make espresso, no milked up drinks, I think the PIDed Silvia would be the ultimate: heavy machine, good portafilter, great user base, nice size, etc.

Jack

I have not really checked into it. I am not the most mechanically inclined guy. I should see if there are some instructions on CG with pics. It really is a hassle; but when I pull great shots consistantly, I feel like a real champ
wink.gif

It is a very nicely built machine, for sure, and heavy too. Beauty!

Nate

Nice links! It still looks, um, tough. I'll keep looking at it and thinking about it...It is a really good ldea with this machine, the sucker gets REALLY hot!

Nate

For every day consumption Community Coffee medium is hard to beat. I also love Major Dickason, from San Francisco. Lance Armstrong raves about it and takes it with hikm whenebver he is abroad. I give it to my good customers.

Nate,

Code Brown from CE is ah....... awesome. The crema is unreal, the taste is supurb and the lingering aftertaste is slight and sweet.

Roasted on Thursday and my friendly postwoman handed it to me on Saturday.
fruit.gif

Jack

I use a blend from a small local roaster (www.javacoffee.com), 1/2 Columbian Estate medium roast, 1/4 Columbian Supremo French roast, 1/4 Java Estate medium roast. I brew it between French press and espresso in strenght, using an espresso machine with excess water.

I agree with Nate, proper roasting, and proper brewing method, is everything
smile.gif

Good coffee is almost a religious experience
cheers.gif

Sweet, joatmon! Gald you like it!! The coffee is amazing and the service is great.

I just got some Ethiopia LongBerry from CE, and am going to brew it for the first time now....
grin.gif

Nate

Nate,

CE has several coffees that look interesting. Maybe we need a thread here or on CG detailing the brewing/tasting of their coffees.

Yep, roasted on Thurday in Nebraska and brewed on Saturday in South Carolina. Is this a great country or what?

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back