Tufoil....is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A neighbor of mine swears by Tufoil when he changes his oil. Do any of you guys use it or is it just another snake oil? I know Tufoil contains teflon, is adding teflon to your engine a bad idea?

Why does he swear by it? Is he just influenced by marketing or is it from some data, etc.?

he swears by it because he heard the U.S. Military uses it. I dont know if thats true or not but I dont think thats enough justification

i've heard the claims from tufoil saying the military uses it too. i'm a navy veteran and worked in the engineering department on some of the world's most powerful warships. never saw it used, never heard of it being used, and never used it on anything myself. the military cannot endorse a product. i challenge notso-tufoil to produce credible documentation about the details concerning military use. keep in mind the navy has a very good preventive maintenance program, a very good lube oil management program, and very thorough sampling/testing guidelines to follow. they don't use it. i can't speak for the other branches of our fine military, but i don't believe for a minute they use tufoil.

Originally Posted By: spursfan600
he swears by it because he heard the U.S. Military uses it. I dont know if thats true or not but I dont think thats enough justification

Uses it in what?

I know several old timers that have used it forever and I've never seen any issues caused by it.

Its funny that Dupont puts ptfe in 'other' lubricants. Maybe Dupont wasn't 1st to stick it in an motor oil and is a little ashamed that they didn't think about it 1st.

Not a snake oil. But, like ANY oil additive, if you are using a quality oil, do you really need it?

I hate to admit it but I did use Tufoil a long time ago. I saw an article in Popular Mechanics Magazine and I figured the stuff was the real deal. I would never use it again in an automotive engine. I never used the other PTFE product-Slick50.

I did see a gun video in which Wilson of Wilson Combat said that Tufoil's Gun-Cote was the best PTFE gun oil he had experience with. So maybe the Gun-Cote is okay-I don't know.

I saw more results with Lubegard products than with Tufoil.

I used it ages ago in the 90 Lumina van. No bad side effects that I could tell. Probly ran the stuff for around 30k miles, then stopped after reading the stuff falls out of suspension in cold weather.

The motor was ticking like new when traded at 150k miles. I doubt the stuff mattered either way. My conclusion was waste of money.

An easy answer is “yes it is a waste of $$, & time." Anything you add to you're engine oil is a waste of money that would better used to buy new oil and your most likely doing more harm then good. If you're oil needs something more or a boost of something extra - use oil that is formulated for that. In mixing additives is an exact science and you most likely will not be able to get it right by mixing yourself. The chemical reactions can be all over the place. 20 parts of A and 20 parts of part B does not always make 40 parts AB now add heat, wear metals, pressure differentials, moisture and possibly coolant or/and fuel plus the reactions of what ever your adding. Whew, I get dizzy just thinking about all the possibilities. (none of them are desired results) The best thing I think you could do is use ultra high particle filtration to improve the cleanliness of your oil. 3 part abrasion does the most damage and makes more particles and so on & so forth. Or you could just change it. Sometimes I will use a low viscosity diester oil with an offline beta3/200 filters to circulate in my engine, drain and fill with a quality motor oil. This is to clean it but that’s about it. Never run your engine with out the proper oil.

Originally Posted By: spursfan600

Been in the military for 19 years, been in a lot of motor pools and have never seen a bottle of Tuf-Oil.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I hate to admit it but I did use Tufoil a long time ago. I saw an article in Popular Mechanics Magazine and I figured the stuff was the real deal. I would never use it again in an automotive engine. I never used the other PTFE product-Slick50.

I did see a gun video in which Wilson of Wilson Combat said that Tufoil's Gun-Cote was the best PTFE gun oil he had experience with. So maybe the Gun-Cote is okay-I don't know.

I saw more results with Lubegard products than with Tufoil.

So maybe the military does use it, in GUN oil.? Quite a different application than a car engine.

I like Tufoil. A couple of friends use it now because of my recommendation. They like it, too.

But it's not for everyone, obviously.

One application that I think everyone should try at least once is to put it into their differential and gearbox. Tufoil works beautifully in those sort of closed environments. Shifter operation becomes so smooth and easy. It's bizarre how nicely Tufoil works in a gearbox.

I always kind of thought that maybe the products made by that little company belonged more in the manual transmissions and axles and so forth. The only time Tufoil seemed to work for me was when it seemed to stop start up chatter from a still decent but aging Toyota engine in my old Toyota station wagon. What never occurred to me at the time was that cheap 20W50 Castrol in the summertime probably would have worked just as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back