Tuff-Torq K46 Hydrostatic Transmission Fill Capacity

I got a question, what is the fill capacity of the k46 Hydrostatic Trans, and, or does it have to be filled up almost to the top, like at the lip before it hits the the cut-out in the trans? if you don't understand what I mean here's a picture.
Picture.png

This picture is not from my transmission.

Same. I added to the high side shown in the diagram. After driving it around (forward and reverse) to get all the air out I checked and it was still above the minimum level.

Edit: A flexible bore scope really helps with checking the level after it's all assembled.

Why in the bleep, would they not put a drain plug in so a homeowner could change the fluid. I wonder if a 2" clearance hole could be cut, just over the fill plug and the fluid could be sucked out and refilled that way. I wonder if anyone has done this? Ed

Why in the bleep, would they not put a drain plug in so a homeowner could change the fluid. I wonder if a 2" clearance hole could be cut, just over the fill plug and the fluid could be sucked out and refilled that way. I wonder if anyone has done this? Ed
I'm thinking about it, I just haven't been bothered to change the fluid at all since I've had the mower... Gas and go!

Mine has 2 drain plugs, but no way to fill it.(No way to get at fill plug), so it has to come out. That said its easy to come out, and that way I greased up the axle so they would not seize to wheels, and cleaned it up good. I had always blown it off up top to keep it clean, but once off there are fins that you CANT see, that were plugged with dried dirt. So good thing I pulled it. Runs a fair bit cooler to the touch now.

"lifetime" filled ;) lol

They would also need a good way to refill it as well. Yes helps sell new stuff of course. What they needed is a good screw on fill cap and drains, and to make the fill port easy to access. I'll likely just remove the transmission at a time to service it and do the drain and fill.
The big problem sucking the oil is there are 2 separate chambers, one for the transmission and one for the differential, it would take a very skinny tube and likely difficult to find the bottom to get all the stuff of each compartment.
They would like you to just take it to the dealer and charge new lawn tractor prices to replace the burned up transaxle, you know $750. or so for the part and $500. to install it. Even the rebuild kits are quite high, I find it strange that with all this lawn mower stuff that the parts for such things as the engines or drive train, if bought to make a complete unit would make that unit cost 4 or more times what an assembled unit is. They really have that all wrapped up nicely don't they?

They don't put a drain plug in their transmissions because the mower manufacturers don't demand it.

My 2¢

Yup. They're cast in there, but are never drilled and tapped.

This video show you how to do it. A little intensive, but can be done. (the little skits at the beginning and end are goofy, but this guy is very knowledgeable)

Just did mines today, it was fun but got it done, and it only took 2 qt, I didn't have to top it off but I kept the thrid qt in case I do need to fill it up a little more later on. I was thankful when that thing started moving, happy as a beaver😁

I have the K51, when I changed my input shaft because of the worn splines I dumped out all the old oil and then filled the unit up with Mobil 5W-50 to about an inch below the opening, reinstalled the filter (cleaned with solvent), put in big spring and put the cap on. Installed back on tractor. Purged unit (instructions on purging is available on the Tuff Torq website.

I have the K51, when I changed my input shaft because of the worn splines I dumped out all the old oil and then filled the unit up with Mobil 5W-50 to about an inch below the opening, reinstalled the filter (cleaned with solvent), put in big spring and put the cap on. Installed back on tractor. Purged unit (instructions on purging is available on the Tuff Torq website.
15W-50, not 5W-50. Mobile full synthetic

it was 15W-50, not 5W-15.......the new fluid gave the old tuff torq a little more "get up and go"!

Back