Trying to find a good marine grease for trailer bearings that work in cold temps

I’ll recommend the Schaeffer 219 once again. I’m not sure you can beat it for the price. We spent several days below zero this winter in a row which is very abnormal. It identified many many issues from plumbing and electrical to trucks and anything in between. My grease was one of the few areas that I wasn’t totally frustrated, it was quite stiff but still pump able from a manual grease gun. If only I had been using their diesel treatment I think our equipment would have worked too. Even the Howes was gelling up in the shop.

I think the OP asked a valid question. I also have switched to marine grease for everything run out of the grease gun. The calcium based grease is generally good stuff and moisture is the number one killer of bearings in these parts, usually from someone pushing the back seal out with too much grease (I’m guilty of that). The only down side is that some are not compatible with disc brakes due to low melting temp I assume. But most are fine. I do feel the calcium based marine grease gives you a buffer in case you have a leaky seal that lets water/ salt in. Let’s face it we wouldn’t need marine grease if we weren’t accounting for leaks. Snow mobile trailers run in a high moisture environment too and in MN lots of road salt to boot, so it’s a good choice.
Exactly my reasoning behind standardizing on marine grease.

I’ve used Traveller grease before for me it worked fine. Not the marine but just the regular bearing grease. I don’t know if anyone on here will recommend Lucas stuff as it doesn’t have a good reputation on here though I like it.
Lucas?
I found it to be a great value on Amazon a few years back and it worked great for me.

I agree traveller marine and off road is a good choice. With a water washout of .5 which is less than paragon 3000 of .75%. It also has a pretty good 4 ball weld point and timken ok load. Plus it is reasonably priced at $6.50 and readily available if you have a local tsc.

I use the Lucas Marine grease and see a drop point temp of 570 but cannot find where it is unusable below 0.
The Technical Data Sheet shows low temp torque -40C at a max of 15.5.
Where can I find the info that shows the grease is not usable below 0?

Redline CV2, speaking from experience.
58F1819A-8D93-4812-8492-2B5C49B6AC7A.jpeg

Another vote for calcium sulfonate. I switched from lithium years ago and saw a dramatic improvement in kingpin and tie rod life. Same trucks, same maintenance interval, only the grease changed.

I’m using Lucas marine grease here in ND on my tractors and snow blowers among other things now. We’ll see how it goes this winter.

Back