Trying to decide between 6k and 7500k

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as most of you know, I have PP 5W-30 in my cavalier. It's been in for 3500 miles as of today. I also got a job today, the job is 60 miles round trip, and assuming 4 days a week, that comes out to about 1,000 miles a month just for that, not including school and bumming around. To work and from is 25 miles highway each way, 5 miles country/city driving. I was originally going to run to 6K miles, but now I'm thinking about going to 7500. Going to do a UOA when done.

On another note, some might remembe I had the smell of exhaust in my car when stopped for periods of time. I found out that the rear right inch or so of the valve cover gasket are leaking air, I can feel the air when I have my hand next to it. I wish it wasn't, because I had just replaced the VC gasket this past summer. I'm wondering if this might also be the reason that I'm "burning" about 1qt/4500 miles based on my calculations.

I also today picked up 2 bottles (buy one get one free) of Chevron Techron 12oz to dump in the tank the next 2 fill ups. After first paycheck gonna replace the NGK Coppers I have with NGK G-Power platinums, for longer life and maybe better fuel economy. Going to make sure my tires are inflated to 30PSI front and 33 rear I think that will be good, for fuel economy.

For those wondering, I am now gainfully employed with Six Flags Parks inc, as a ride operator at Great Escape and Splashwater Kingdom in Queensbury NY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the job!

With mostly highway on that 2.2, I think 7500 would be okay. Just keep an eye om it.

Congrats on the new job! I imagine just seeing the women in the park is perks enough! Anyhow, You can't go wrong with 6k mile oil changes and that's personall what I would do. But - with your new work schedule and the fact you are running PP I would bet 7500 miles would be just fine on that oil, but I wouldn't stretch it out anymore than that not knowing the condition of your engine. The highway miles sure does good for your car and oil. One more thing - why not just go 35psi all around for your tires? I do that, still gives decent ride and handling but a little less rolling resistance. All my cars spec somewhere between 30-32 and I just go 35. Oh and you did good with the Techron - it works.

6k, then extend after UOA. The oil will hold up just fine, but you need to figure out whether you have a contamination issue. If there are no oil contamination issues, which it sounds like you might with a badly leaking VC gasket, and the motor is running well, I'd guess you'll be able to extend out a good bit with so much highway mileage.

JMO, of course.

Thanks guys. As far as the VC gasket is concerned.. There's only about an inch of it that seems to be leaking, and it's not a bad leak. I don't see any visible holes, so I can't imagine there is really any contamination, but maybe when I do the oil change I will replace it again. Based on what you all said, I think I'm going to comprimise, and go for 6500 miles. The engine is running fantastically, I can't imagine it could run any better than it is now to be honest.
Dave87rs: thanks man
GMBoy: Haha, hadn't thought about it that way. Yeah I think I'm gonna air up the tires a bit.

Your drives of 30 mostly highway miles each way is very easy on oil, 10k+ miles is very possible with syn oil. I would extract some oil via dipstick tube for UOA at 7k miles to see if you can keep it to 10k+ miles.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Your drives of 30 mostly highway miles each way is very easy on oil, 10k+ miles is very possible with syn oil. I would extract some oil via dipstick tube for UOA at 7k miles to see if you can keep it to 10k+ miles.

I dunno if I want to go that long for several reasons. One, 7500 miles is pushing my internal limits. 2, I like changing the oil and I have the next oil changing sitting on a shelf in the garage right now lol

I would use synthetic Mobil 1 EP, Pennzoil Plat, or even Motorcraft blend and change every 6 months, say every November 1st and every april 1st.

No problem going 7500 with a good synthetic with your driving conditions... especially if it's leaking or consuming oil and your keeping it full.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
So as most of you know, I have PP 5W-30 in my cavalier. It's been in for 3500 miles as of today. I also got a job today, the job is 60 miles round trip, and assuming 4 days a week, that comes out to about 1,000 miles a month just for that, not including school and bumming around. To work and from is 25 miles highway each way, 5 miles country/city driving. I was originally going to run to 6K miles, but now I'm thinking about going to 7500. Going to do a UOA when done.

On another note, some might remembe I had the smell of exhaust in my car when stopped for periods of time. I found out that the rear right inch or so of the valve cover gasket are leaking air, I can feel the air when I have my hand next to it. I wish it wasn't, because I had just replaced the VC gasket this past summer. I'm wondering if this might also be the reason that I'm "burning" about 1qt/4500 miles based on my calculations.

I also today picked up 2 bottles (buy one get one free) of Chevron Techron 12oz to dump in the tank the next 2 fill ups. After first paycheck gonna replace the NGK Coppers I have with NGK G-Power platinums, for longer life and maybe better fuel economy. Going to make sure my tires are inflated to 30PSI front and 33 rear I think that will be good, for fuel economy.

For those wondering, I am now gainfully employed with Six Flags Parks inc, as a ride operator at Great Escape and Splashwater Kingdom in Queensbury NY.

i also have the 2.2 cavy as a daily driver, and run approx 35psi summer, 32-33psi winter in all four corners, I cant comment on the oil as im strickly in town with mine so short OCI'S are the way i go. I use A/C delco plugs and although i have no data/facts to back up my opinions ive found in most chevys that they perform very well. Ive tried the fancy more expensive plugs in 4 of my past chevys and unless its a irridium tipped factory oem plug, plane-jane A/C'S always do best for me. techron in the tank is good, especially the chevys with the hairy fueal guage. 2 pennies.

I have been running 10k oci's for the last 80k miles in my Cavalier. I don't have the same engine as you, but still, going 7500 miles shouldn't be an issue with a synthetic.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

i also have the 2.2 cavy as a daily driver, and run approx 35psi summer, 32-33psi winter in all four corners, I cant comment on the oil as im strickly in town with mine so short OCI'S are the way i go. I use A/C delco plugs and although i have no data/facts to back up my opinions ive found in most chevys that they perform very well. Ive tried the fancy more expensive plugs in 4 of my past chevys and unless its a irridium tipped factory oem plug, plane-jane A/C'S always do best for me. techron in the tank is good, especially the chevys with the hairy fueal guage. 2 pennies.

The NGK G-powers are essentially the same plug (but better) and cheaper, only $2.59 a plug versus $5.99 for the AC. The AC plugs are made by NGK.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Congrats on the new job! I imagine just seeing the women in the park is perks enough!

7500 mi no question, forget about motor oil, and prepare for the girls!
thumbsup2.gif

As long as I don't get stuck with on a kiddie ride
37.gif

Oh yes- is the gas gauge beyond repair? The first "half tank" on the gauge is in reality the first 2/3 tank. The last 1/2 on the gauge is really only about 5 gallons, if that. The first half is about 10, maybe more. Could the techron help this, or is the gauge just messed up for all time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
They do this intentionally, though I forgot why.. I want to say the split on my Cavi was 9/6. My Vic is 10/9

Automakers have done alot of things that don't make sense... And GM doing that on purpose ranks up there.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

The NGK G-powers are essentially the same plug (but better) and cheaper, only $2.59 a plug versus $5.99 for the AC. The AC plugs are made by NGK.

this is why i like BITOG, im always learning something new. i will have to try the NGK's in the car, I already run them in my bike's. When ive tried "fancy" stuff like splitfire's
i was dissapointed. So am i currently just paying the extra few bucks for the name A/C ? or is there something to the "essentially the same" ? more details please. To the OP sorry to jack your thrad, im just trying to learn something here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back