Trust Your Feeler Gauges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you see the problem in this picture? IIRC these were made by Kosman, all the other gauges check good. I thought maybe there were two stuck together, but that is not the case.

Last edited:
Are those 90deg feelers? At my work, they are checked and certified (calibrated) every 6mo. Prior to that, each operator checked the final stack-up with a caliper to ensure accuracy. The caliper was calibrated.

JetStar

Originally Posted By: dubie2003
Are those 90deg feelers? At my work, they are checked and certified (calibrated) every 6mo. Prior to that, each operator checked the final stack-up with a caliper to ensure accuracy. The caliper was calibrated.
No I bent it so you could see the marking on it. At my work our tools are all calibrated, but I'm not at work. Anyways, I dug the feeler out of the trash because I was still wondering if there were two 0.003's stuck together. Sure enough, after fiddling, bending and twisting, I got the two to pop apart with a snap. I think they were doubled up when they were punched out, fusing the edges.

Oil on the blades of a new set of feelers has caused many of the thinner ones to stick together, giving false readings. I try to fan out a new set and wipe each blade with degreaser to avoid surface tension stickiness.

When I had my 89 Accord I had to mess with periodic lash adjustments. I found that go-no-go feeler gauges were a lot easier for me than the single measurement version.

JetStar

Originally Posted By: chestand
Oil on the blades of a new set of feelers has caused many of the thinner ones to stick together, giving false readings. I try to fan out a new set and wipe each blade with degreaser to avoid surface tension stickiness.
I'm familiar with oil causing them to stick together. I think these were fused together on the edges, perfectly aligned.

I trust the 'sheet metal' feelers as far as accuracy, as long as their not stuck together. Each individual shim has its size 'acid etched' on it. Several years ago, I bought a set of 'wire gages' (mounted to round disc) at Auto Zone. Foreign made. The .025" measured .030" / the .030" was .030" I took them back and the employee said they were OK for checking plugs. He knew about these things because at his other job, he's a machinist. I complained to store Manager, he thought the same thing. I got a refund and went to NAPA. Made in USA and very accurate. I also bought spark plugs. Upon inspecting the electrode with a magnifying glass, I could see when they were made, the cutting tool must of been chipped. Moral of the story, Take the time to inspect what you buy. No matter where it's made. * Shake that oil filter - anything loose * Inspect with magnifying glass - how's the finish * Look at tamper seals on oil bottles - Have they been broken

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.