True Engine Oil Capacity

When we drain engine oil from the oil pan drain plug, will there still be any more oil inside the engine? Just like draining ATF can only drain about 50% of the fluid?

Most engines leave relatively little oil behind when drained. Automatic transmissions on the other hand only have part of their fluid in the pan. Most of the rest is inside the torque converter which typically holds half or more of the fluid.

My car's factory service manual mentions engine overhaul oil capacity and oil change amount with and without oil filter (5.15, 4.9 and 4.5 quarts respectively). I usually get 4.5 quarts out.

Their might be. The best way to get it all out is to let it warm up before draining so it flows quicker that’s usually what I do.

The owners manual for my '16 Versa gives 3 7/8 qts. (3.875) capacity for oil/filter changes and 3 3/8 qts. (3.375) capacity with a filter change. When I change the oil/filter in it I put in 3.2 qts. and it always reads just slightly over the full mark but not enough to hurt anything. 3.2 quarts is within 1 oz. of being 3 liters and I thought maybe 3 liters was actually the correct fill since the manufacturer is in a country that uses the metric system. I always change the filter when I change the oil so I don't know how much it would hold without a filter change. As small as the filter is I don't think it's possible it could hold more than 8 oz. If I was doing a change without doing the filter I'd probably put 3 qts. in it and call it good.

Depends on the filter used. Oversize the filter, more oil in the engine...

My Smart says 3.7, but with the oversized 51356 filter, I put in 4 exactly...

If you have a Kubota HH164-32430,
take a look at Wix 51773, the two quart version...

If you drain the oil warm, change the filter, allow reasonable drain time, what is left inside is negligible and will not impact the dipstick reading.

You'll never get "all" of the oil out, but with a little patience and time you'll get most of it out. As @Lubener mentioned what remains will be negligible and shouldn't impact the dipstick.

Yes i know. It's no big deal. But some people OCD said you should not mix this brand/viscosity blah blah... When put new old, surely will mix some old oil.

Yes i know. It's no big deal. But some people OCD said you should not mix this brand/viscosity blah blah... When put new old, surely will mix some old oil.
OCD people say a lot of things that aren't always of any benefit unfortunately. Get the engine warm, pull the drain plug and let the oil drain, 30 minutes works well for me, if you're OCD let it drain longer. Think of how many oil changes a quick lube place like Jiffy Lube does a year. Trust me they aren't letting the oil drain for 30 minutes, they'd go broke. While I'm not a fan of Jiffy Lube, the cars serviced there seem to survive. Honestly I'd find something else to worry about.

When we drain engine oil from the oil pan drain plug, will there still be any more oil inside the engine? Just like draining ATF can only drain about 50% of the fluid?
In terms of pure volumetric measure of what went in versus what went out ( excluding any losses from leakage/consumption/evaporation etc.)

Yes, there will be some trapped and clinging residue remaining ( just like in the bottle from whence the oil was poured in from)

There will be some variance between various engine designs and conditions ( assuming all drains were done level to Earth and for the same time at temp)

Now, is that itsy bitsy teeny weenie yellow polka dot amount going to matter in any significant manner?

Only maybe once in a zillion.

Their might be. The best way to get it all out is to let it warm up before draining so it flows quicker that’s usually what I do.
I always struggled with this. Seems the longer you let the vehicle sit, the oil would have longer to make its way to the pan. But a warm engine would definitely drain faster. Perhaps it may make the filter a little easier to remove to if warm.

I always struggled with this. Seems the longer you let the vehicle sit, the oil would have longer to make its way to the pan. But a warm engine would definitely drain faster. Perhaps it may make the filter a little easier to remove to if warm.
I’ve also seen people bump the engine to get it to get as much out as it can though I don’t recommend that. And yeah I usually use the warm engine method when it’s colder since the oil will flow better when it’s warm.

I use the Fumoto valve on my cars. I simply drain it pretty hot and give it lot's of time. It's very convenient and a little slower, but I like it this way.

Back