Truck Shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the shocks in my F150 4x4. Looking at the Monroe Reflex, Rancho RSX, and Rancho RS5000. I was told that the RSX and Reflex are essentially the same shock except for color and a shock boot on the Rancho. The RS5000 are cheapest, but how do they work. I don't want a real harsh ride.]
Anyone have a thoughts or experience with these?

I put the RS 5000 shocks on the front of my '98 chev k1500 z71. The Z71 came with Bilstien shocks that were a fair amount stiffer. I've got some kind of gabriel gas magnums on the back that I would say are just as stiff as the original bilstiens.

I'd call the ride with the rs 5000's pretty plush. For my tastes I'd prefer them to be a fair amount stiffer.

My guess is that they're probably pretty close to what a stock shock would be, and based on what I've said above, if you don't want a harsh ride, these might be just the shocks for you.

I just installed a set of Rancho 5000's on the wife's Explorer. They have a larger piston diameter than stock, and are a good compromise between ride and handling, and are a good upgrade.

I've also heard good things about the Monroe Reflex. I too suspect they may be the same as the Ranchos. Bilstiens are great shocks, but expensive.....

Monroe sensa-tracs give a nice controlled ride. Not too harsh, not too soft + they can be had for around $25/ea a few times a year. I dunno if I'd use them for heavy trailering, hauling or offroad use, but for street 4x4 use, they cant be beat IMHO.
G/luck
Joel

I wouldn't recommend the bilstiens due to high price and short service life.

Everybody on the chev full size boards complains about how short-lived the bilstien shocks are.

quote:

Originally posted by Jim 5:
I wouldn't recommend the bilstiens due to high price and short service life.

Everybody on the chev full size boards complains about how short-lived the bilstien shocks are.

I think as Tom Slick said, they are complaining about the OEMs that were made by Bilstein. The aftermarket Bilsteins have a lifetime warranty, I believe.

I am leaning toward the RS5000 Ranchos or the Monroe Reflex. Monroe and Rancho are made by the same company, so I believe the Reflex and RSX are essentially the same shock, but the Monroe doesn't come with at boot on the shock (I don't do a lot of off road driving, so it doesn't matter). Monroe also has a buy 3 get the 4th free deal, and Rancho only has a $25 rebate.

I just was wondering if the RS5000 gave a harsher ride than the reflex?

They were complaining about the bilstiens that came with the "Z71" option package.

I don't know aftermarket Bilstien track record.

I didn't like the Monroe shocks I put on my wifes Jeep Cherokee, but I really liked the KYB Monomax that I replaced them with. The Monroe shocks made it feel sloppy and cornered poorly, but the KYB really firmed up the ride and it handles much better.

spend a little more, get real bilsteins and be happy with your purchase.

I have them on my ZR2 (factory upgrade, yellow-tube gas shocks), and theyre great...

JMH

I put on Rancho RSX on my 4x4 Screw. What a difference. Love the adjustable options. You can go from super harsh to float on water. I'd recommend them, especially if you tow from time to time. You can adjust the rear so that your butt ain't touching the ground while the fronts are still nice and smooth.

I need shocks on a 98 ford explorer eddie bauer . Any recommendations for quality ride? it is my wife's car and she wants it to ride better. My old/original shocks have 116,000 miles on them.

Thanks,

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
I put on Rancho RSX on my 4x4 Screw. What a difference. Love the adjustable options. You can go from super harsh to float on water. I'd recommend them, especially if you tow from time to time. You can adjust the rear so that your butt ain't touching the ground while the fronts are still nice and smooth.

The adjustable shocks are the RS9000X. I hear they are great, but are about $100 per shock. The RSX ones that I am talking about are about $50-60 and are supposed to automatically adjust internally like the Monroe Reflex. I am sure the manual adjustable ones are great, but they are more than I want to spend.

I see that Rancho has a $25 rebate on the RS5000 and the RSX, and Monroe has a buy 3 get 1 free rebate on the Reflexes.

I've run the Reflex shocks on two of my rigs - my '97 F150 and my '88 Jeep Cherokee.

I loved them on my '97 F150, and will be putting a set on my current '99 F150 at some point.

I'm less happy with them on the Jeep Cherokee - They are a bit too unforgiving for my tastes.

So, a good choice on a full size, not sure what to say for a smaller ride
dunno.gif

And yes, the Rancho RSX and the Monroe Reflex are essentially the same shock. If you want white and red, get the Ranchos, otherwise the Reflexes work fine!

In June 2002 with approximately 5,000 miles on my 2002 F-150 I installed Rancho RSX's and a Hellwig rear antisway bar. Boy, what a difference in ride quality and handling
shocked.gif
. I have a 8'long bed Super Cab with a extra high fiberglass cap. It makes for an extremely top heavy vehicle. But the Rancho RSX's and the Hellwig rear antisway bar REALLY improved the ride and handling. I'm REAL happy with that combo.

Whimsey

I might try the Reflex. Rockauto has them for $39 a piece + $15 shipping - 1 free = ~$133.00. Thats not bad.

With all the salt up here, the pretty Ranchos will be rust colored after a year anyway.

I have the Tokico Trekmaster's on a 97 Isuzu; at first I didn't like 'em. But after 3-5k miles, they're not bad at all. They are not harsh, and yet they are not squishy.

It's hard to explain, but they give exactly when needed, and don't, when not needed - typical of any shock. But these are unlike any shocks I've ever had before.

I do NOT recommend KYB Gas-adjusts, OMG they were HARSH! They didn't provide a firm ride, no, but rather a bone jarring, teeth rattling kind of slap. The truck rode like a tank - it was horrible.

85 Toyota kingcab p-up has RS 5000, very decent ride - as can be expected from an old solid axle front end.

Trying to decide what to put on the Dodge Cummins - need a dual shock set-up on the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back