Needing new shocks/struts for 2014 Yaris

My 2014 Yaris ride quality is not too good, it's 10 years old with 55k and on the original shocks and struts. I'm in the rust belt and they do not appear to be leaking, but the bracing and some parts of them are getting seriously rusty and need replacement based on that alone.

What's out there for good quick strut assemblies? I've heard the KYB quick struts have mixed reviews.

Last edited:
I hate to worship at the altar of Toyota (but I’m a fanboy, no denying it). But 55k is a bit short on Toyota struts, no? most never notice that they are worn (I never do!). Just to play devil’s advocate, are you sure it’s struts and not because it’s a Yaris?

Few years ago I bought a used Camry and thought the ride was off. Replaced the Sensen struts with Monroes. Better, but still not great. Replaced the Mastercraft Strategies with RT43’s and… ok not perfection but that was the problem. The tires were not bad, they just did not have the ride quality I expected. Thick sidewalls or something. Could the issue be the last set of tires that your car got?

I am not surprised...my orignal yaris struts were done by around 35k.

However the bulk of that was on drop springs.

I have some Redshift Motorsports "Street" coilovers on my Yaris now. I love it and rides firm but very well controlled. Its what I imagine a modern sport sedans would ride like if not better

Mando offers front quick struts for your application on RA.

I just put some on the front of a Mountaineer (Explorer) and thought they ride well. Can't speak to longevity

I hate to worship at the altar of Toyota (but I’m a fanboy, no denying it). But 55k is a bit short on Toyota struts, no? most never notice that they are worn (I never do!). Just to play devil’s advocate, are you sure it’s struts and not because it’s a Yaris?

Few years ago I bought a used Camry and thought the ride was off. Replaced the Sensen struts with Monroes. Better, but still not great. Replaced the Mastercraft Strategies with RT43’s and… ok not perfection but that was the problem. The tires were not bad, they just did not have the ride quality I expected. Thick sidewalls or something. Could the issue be the last set of tires that your car got?
Haha, could just be Yaris ride quality... but they are pretty rusty, bordering on rot, and they should be replaced.

If you want performance, there's the Bilstein PSS kit ;)

Since your OE shocks only lasted 55k, it might be worth trying aftermarket over OE.

Since KYB's aftermarket mounts have had some problems and don't have the best reputation, it's worth trying the Mando quick struts.

But I think Bilstein will be the only shocks and struts that will last more than 55k if even OE won't.

I am not surprised...my orignal yaris struts were done by around 35k.

However the bulk of that was on drop springs.

I have some Redshift Motorsports "Street" coilovers on my Yaris now. I love it and rides firm but very well controlled. Its what I imagine a modern sport sedans would ride like if not better

If you really want performance, get the Bilstein PSS kit. Yes, they make one for your Yaris :D

If you want performance, there's the Bilstein PSS kit ;)

Since your OE shocks only lasted 55k, it might be worth trying aftermarket over OE.

Since KYB's aftermarket mounts have had some problems and don't have the best reputation, it's worth trying the Mando quick struts.

But I think Bilstein will be the only shocks and struts that will last more than 55k if even OE won't.

If you really want performance, get the Bilstein PSS kit. Yes, they make one for your Yaris :D
The Bilsteins are a few steps lower then what I have tbh. I use the car as my backup competition car. Bilsteins wouldnt hold up to the 245s I run in race mode. If I never raced it then they would be fine. My Yaris has had to clock in and help me win my class 3 years in a row.

20230813_105346.jpg

The Bilsteins are a few steps lower then what I have tbh. I use the car as my backup competition car. Bilsteins wouldnt hold up to the 245s I run in race mode. If I never raced it then they would be fine. My Yaris has had to clock in and help me win my class 3 years in a row.

View attachment 210280

I really like seeing cars like the Yaris being used like this :D

Back