General strut/shock questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dwcopple
err, after doing some more reading, I think I'll consider the Raybestos or Monroe assemblies instead...

Good news: KYB is going to make a quick strut for that generation Corolla. It's coming out this fall.

http://showmetheparts.com/kyb/

To the OP and all readers, best advice on buying a new car or truck and apparently a new van is: Always go for the Towing Package. It gives you HD suspension and trans cooler and is usually very inexpensive.

Prefer Gabriel ReadyMounts to the Monroe Quick Struts. Used them on different vehicles. No problems, lasted the length of time I kept the vehicle. Monroe Quick Struts seemed to go soft fast, noise from the mounts. The generic KYB struts were too stiff for me, didn't like the way they raised the car I used them on.

Never tried KYB's Strut Plus assy, looks interesting. I'm sure its high quality (and expensive too). Not clear the assy includes the mounts like the others. Anyone have experience here?

Yes, the KYB quick struts include the mounts.
http://www.kyb.com/products/shocks/strutplus.php

kysr4009_2.jpg

I've tried them all...Monroes, KYB's, Gabriels & OEM. Then I tried a set of Sachs Super Touring...and never looked back. The ride quality/handling of the Sachs is great...just the right amount of dampening with a very smooth and controlled ride. They're holding up well on the Honda. Pricing is in line with their competitors although they have to be purchased online these days I believe.

From the research that I've been doing, it appears that the new Monroe OESpectrum line is quite different than the old sensa-tracs...for a number of applications.

The OESpectrum does not have the infamous PSD system, nor the groove in the piston. If you google "monroe oespectrum shocks forums" you'll find plenty of forum reviews, and most of them state that the Monroe OESpectrum now deliver a fairly firm ride on most applications, but not KYB firm.

In addition, it seems that some of the sensa-tracs for the domestic applications have been redesigned. Jimmy's thread showed that the sensa-tracs he recently bought were very different than the ones he purchased several years ago. On some applications, the Reflexes have been discontinued in favor of the sensa-trac. So, I think Monroe has really revamped their shock/strut line-up in the recent year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back