General strut/shock questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '05 Caravan (really '04) seems to be getting a bit bouncy and I plan to install new shocks and struts this fall. E-mails from KYB and Monroe state that complete "quick strut" assemblies are NOT available for my short wheel base, 4 cyl. model (bummer).

I haven't checked OEM, but they almost always seem to be double the aftermarket costs...o.k.,I called and front struts are $180 each locally vs. $60 +/- for aftermarket.

1. Are Gabriels really as bad as everyone says?

2. KYB GR 2 vs. Monroe SensaTracs? KYB are "firmer"? Seems I can get the Monroe's considerably cheaper. Other pros/cons worth considering?

3. If mail ordered, do warranty returns (shipping) negate any savings? Is this hassle not worth the initial savings ($50 +/-).

4. Rock Auto lists Raybestor and Moog struts also, but I don't think they list rear shocks in these brands. Comments about these brands? Some say that the Moogs are rebranded Monroes?
Comments?

Thanks for any help to assist this purchase decision. I doubt I will keep this van beyond another 2 years due to rust and general "pot hole" degradation.

Last edited:
We use KYB struts mostly. If you have the rear leaf set-up where the rear shocks are at a weird 60 degree angle almost as if they are lying down. then the reps at KYB suggest getting a mono shock for the rear. The set up is so bad that normal shocks do not work well here. This is what KYB said not me.
As for pricing...can't tell you.

I wonder if anyone has ever had the hutspah to return a worn strut under warranty, and if they got away with it.

I did well with some KYBs off ebay five years ago now and they're doing fine. Was $150 for all four corners!

KYB's are the best, I've never had a problem with them.
I can't say the same about the Monroe's. Usually the Monroe's wear out in a year whenever I've used them. I got 7 years out of the last set of KYB's I had in my '95 Camry. Gabriels seem to ride soft to me. But I haven't used their struts, only their shocks. Recently I've heard good things about Sensen's. They are suppose to be a good copy of KYB GR2's but they use Japanesse made NOK seals. I just installed 2 sets of them. 1 in each of 2 different cars, and they ride just as good as KYB's. They are CHEAP money too. ($34 Each).
See if they have them on Rockauto, or apxautoparts.com
Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
Also be VERY careful with the spring compressors. Only get the one's with the lock pins to hold the spring should it break.

Thanks for the replies so far. I have only done about 4 strut replacements and have used the Autozone compressors with locking pin.

Paranoid me, I wear one of these while handling the springs: A good idea to me would be to put a heavy cable (wire rope) through the spring so if it let loose, the parts would be contained.
30099843.jpg

You might be able to get the OE strut online from about $75-115 each depending on wich one your application uses. Other than that I'd go with Sensatracs. i think they have a lifetime warranty and with yuor original spring should give good rid quality and handling.

I would go with OEM shocks/struts myself. Find a few different online dealers and get the best price. You can find excellent pricing online.

I'd go for the monroe struts, they'll probably last way longer than 2 years and probably are the same ones as for the V6 models so they will be stiff enough.
I like my KYB's for being stiffer than stock but that's probably not a benefit for you.

oem in 2001 was kyb. not sure about your year. I think the sensatraks would be a good combo for the van. I had a set on a Jeep GC and they were nice. Our LWB T&C has monroe reflexes on the rear and they are very controlled but a bit stiff when empty. Perfect when the van is loaded though.

I'be had good luck with monroes IF you avoid their entry-level stuff.

kybs are Great struts if you are looking for something more performance-tuned. Had those on an older legacy and they were excellent for aggressive driving.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Aren't the rears on these Caravans leaf spring?

Yes. Struts of front. Shocks on back.

I've used KYB and Tokico, and from what I heard Tokico is firmer than KYB and KYB is firmer than Monroe. From what I heard the valving on KYB that keeps the damping rate last longer than Monroe as well, even if both of them don't leak that easily.

If brelandt said to go to a firmer setup like mono shock, you should cross ship for a firmer strut from any other brand too. It is more important to buy the right setup than a "better" brand.

The warranty are probably useless unless you can keep all 4 wheels off the ground for a week for warranty replacement. I don't think they warranty for wear and tear.

Both Monroe and KYB have limited lifetime warranties. When I asked about this at Carquest, they "said" that a leaking or bouncy strut/shock would be considered a defect and not wear.
21.gif

This might be a local policy and I am not sure how it would play out. My local Carquest seems to go above and beyond on customer care. Otherwise, I don't think that general wear is considered a warranty cause.

Seems like any strut you hate might develop oil on the surface under the boots.
whistle.gif

^^^Agreed. Standard equipment on my car and an amazingly high quality piece!

No KYB junk here, had too many fail on our service vans, no warranty service either.

Gabriels new line of HD shocks are awesome, they call them Ultra.

The KYB GR 2s ARE firmer than the Monroe SensaTracs. I put the SensaTracs on my Buick and they are really nice.

Stiffer shocks will give you rougher ride and better handling.

Softer shocks will give you a smoother ride and a little bit less handling.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
My '05 Caravan (really '04) seems to be getting a bit bouncy and I plan to install new shocks and struts this fall. E-mails from KYB and Monroe state that complete "quick strut" assemblies are NOT available for my short wheel base, 4 cyl. model (bummer).

I haven't checked OEM, but they almost always seem to be double the aftermarket costs...o.k.,I called and front struts are $180 each locally vs. $60 +/- for aftermarket.

1. Are Gabriels really as bad as everyone says?

2. KYB GR 2 vs. Monroe SensaTracs? KYB are "firmer"? Seems I can get the Monroe's considerably cheaper. Other pros/cons worth considering?

3. If mail ordered, do warranty returns (shipping) negate any savings? Is this hassle not worth the initial savings ($50 +/-).

4. Rock Auto lists Raybestor and Moog struts also, but I don't think they list rear shocks in these brands. Comments about these brands? Some say that the Moogs are rebranded Monroes?
Comments?

Thanks for any help to assist this purchase decision. I doubt I will keep this van beyond another 2 years due to rust and general "pot hole" degradation.

Why can't you just use the V6 quick struts? It should bolt right up, unless they have radically different suspension.

I looked up Rock Auto for your 2005 Caravan, and they have quick struts in Moog and Raybestos brands for the 4-cylinder.

I have this "problem" too. I have a 1996 Lexus ES300 (basically a V6 Camry). They list rear quick struts for the ES300, no problem. For the front they only have them for the 4-cylinder Camry not the V6 (or ES300). But they are physically the same, so it should work. Therefore, I am going to just use the 4-cyl Camry quick struts.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Why can't you just use the V6 quick struts? It should bolt right up, unless they have radically different suspension.

I looked up Rock Auto for your 2005 Caravan, and they have quick struts in Moog and Raybestos brands for the 4-cylinder.

I have this "problem" too. I have a 1996 Lexus ES300 (basically a V6 Camry). They list rear quick struts for the ES300, no problem. For the front they only have them for the 4-cylinder Camry not the V6 (or ES300). But they are physically the same, so it should work. Therefore, I am going to just use the 4-cyl Camry quick struts.

However the spring rate maybe different. This will cause all sorts of issues not to mention tire wear from neg camber this may cause. Not sure if this is true or not with your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back