Shocked choice for an old 4runner...

Was wondering what your opinion on a decent lower cost shock for an old (but great condition 4runner 90-95 4x4). Mostly on road trips with some gravel/washboard a little fishing and hunting in the mix too. I don't do hardcore 4x4ing. My experience to date with this and a k1500 has been none too good, Bilstein HD rode like a skate board, KYB and Gabrial just don't last, Rancho 5000's were OK. Monroe Sensatrac are on it now- I haven't driven it for years so they may or may not be still serviceable.
Honestly I am looking hard at oem Toyota, price isn't too bad, was looking at Sachs but they only make the fronts and I would prefer to keep all the same, and Gabriel Max Control have caught my eye. Local mechanic who does service trucks for the oil fields likes oem the Reflex shock (not sure if this is a Monroe or Napa deal).
Truck has a tight suspension and steering and does not suffer bum sag, running a non LT General Grabber AT.

Has there been a surprising performer you purchased for a mid size SUV of similar size.

Did Toyota make a 90-95 TRD version? If you're leaning towards OEM, maybe install TRD shocks (if they're different than the standard shocks)?

Of course, there may be some mismatch with the existing springs. :🤷:

If you can still get OEM Toyota, and the price isn't bad, then go with them :)

Maybe Koni Heavy Track is an option :unsure:

Front 30-1421
Rear 30-1422

They are adjustable, so just adjust them to full-soft

i like kyb gas a just, they're too hard for some and I can't vouch for the quality of the newer ones because the ones that have a significant amount of miles on them are also over 10 years old and the new ones on my car only have like 6000 miles on them

I'd go with the OEM if you can on that, or Fox if you are looking for a better ride on dirt roads. I have them on my Jeep and they are excellent.

Loved my old 1990 4 Runner. In 300,000 miles, I went through a lot of shocks. Doetsch Tech shocks, as part of a 1.5” lift kit from a company called Downey Toyota (a victim of the 2008 recession, they’re no longer with us) actually rode the best of anything I tried.

The lift kit was good, new torsion bars and new rear springs. Don’t just crank up the preload on the front torsion bars, as some do, you’ll kill the ride quality.

That vintage is solid, reliable, and great off road, if a bit slow, thirsty, and cumbersome on road.
IMG_2709.jpeg

Last edited:
Was wondering what your opinion on a decent lower cost shock for an old (but great condition 4runner 90-95 4x4). Mostly on road trips with some gravel/washboard a little fishing and hunting in the mix too. I don't do hardcore 4x4ing. My experience to date with this and a k1500 has been none too good, Bilstein HD rode like a skate board, KYB and Gabrial just don't last, Rancho 5000's were OK. Monroe Sensatrac are on it now- I haven't driven it for years so they may or may not be still serviceable.
Honestly I am looking hard at oem Toyota, price isn't too bad, was looking at Sachs but they only make the fronts and I would prefer to keep all the same, and Gabriel Max Control have caught my eye. Local mechanic who does service trucks for the oil fields likes oem the Reflex shock (not sure if this is a Monroe or Napa deal).
Truck has a tight suspension and steering and does not suffer bum sag, running a non LT General Grabber AT.

Has there been a surprising performer you purchased for a mid size SUV of similar size.
Every vehicle that I have installed Bilstein B6/HD shocks has benefitted from an improved ride, whether it was a sport sedan or Toyota truck.

And they last, unlike the Monroe or Gabe garbage.

Every vehicle that I have installed Bilstein B6/HD shocks has benefitted from an improved ride, whether it was a sport sedan or Toyota truck.

And they last, unlike the Monroe or Gabe garbage.
Normally, I would agree, but on my 1990 4 Runner, they felt like unyielding steel rods instead of shocks. Unbelievably harsh ride. A huge disappointment.

Normally, I would agree, but on my 1990 4 Runner, they felt like unyielding steel rods instead of shocks. Unbelievably harsh ride. A huge disappointment.
On my chev I had installed 2500 rear springs- and what you describe is how it felt. Ended up keeping the fronts and installing Sachs in the rear which made the ride acceptable. Not really sure of their line up, I think it is 4600/5100/HD, I always reach for the HD in anything and maybe the 4600 would have been appropriate. Unfortunately it was an expensive mistake.

Loved my old 1990 4 Runner. In 300,000 miles, I went through a lot of shocks. Doetsch Tech shocks, as part of a 1.5” lift kit from a company called Downey Toyota (a victim of the 2008 recession, they’re no longer with us) actually rode the best of anything I tried.

The lift kit was good, new torsion bars and new rear springs. Don’t just crank up the preload on the front torsion bars, as some do, you’ll kill the ride quality.

That vintage is solid, reliable, and great off road, if a bit slow, thirsty, and cumbersome on road.
View attachment 156608
My trucks stance is good as is with those light duty OME rear springs, I have not adjusted the torsion bars. Fixed the anemic 22RE/auto with my turbo version, a 5MT and an updated ecu, 200hp DD. The body is in excellent shape so I view it as worth the effort to clean up. These trucks have a different pricing category when in decent shape. Besides- I like the size.

I learned a long time ago that no aftermarket shocks will ride like OEM's. I only found one aftermarket shock that was any good. Edelbrock IAS shocks. And I am pretty sure they are obsolete. If it were me I would pony up the extra cash and get OEM

Don

Edelbrock made a few products that were fairly competent and they killed them all off. TES headers is another that I still use on my chev.

How is it that your 4Runner has not died from a rusty frame? OP is in Canada with salt I assume.

Bilsteins has more than one model of shocks. Two I think.

How is it that your 4Runner has not died from a rusty frame? OP is in Canada with salt I assume.

Bilsteins has more than one model of shocks. Two I think.

It was probably washed periodically. As every Owners Manual I've ever had states a vehicle should be, when operated in a highly corrosive environment.

I had a 22+ year old 4Runner which was operated in a highly corrosive environment it's entire life, but was rust-free when I sold it. How? I washed the salt off periodically.

Timely application of two cases of green aerosol Rust Check. Inside frame. panels, etc. It's needs a few repairs to be sure but is beyond solid. The truck was originally from Yellowknife, it was generally so cold that salt is ineffective beyond -15C and not used.

I ended up with KYB Gas-a-djust. I've had a bad experience with Bilstein- didn't want to spend that kind of money, oem is spotty for availability and my go to Sach's was hard to source.

View attachment 156608
My wife had one very similar, but it was an early year that had the little triangle window, and 4cyl engine. Less than 100k of island service the AT couldn’t stop from boiling over. But it just ran and ran.

I wonder if OE is still available? My brother can get plenty of OE stuff for his similar vintage FJZ80.

OP, I’d look into OE and the range of Bilstein shocks.

I just installed these today on an old Mercedes. Not all Bilsteins ride like a buckboard.

IMG_0866.jpeg

Standard bilstein. Just put rears on a ‘19 4R and they work well for the suv, for a passenger friendly ride. They are softer - not for towing or modded duty. and by standard I mean the 4600 territory - the 5100s can get floaty on the highway.

if a budget shock is required, Monroe reflex, Monroe sensatrak, Gabriel ultra.

Back