Truck Gas Mileage

2015 f150 @Supercab 2 wheel drive 3.32 rear end I have been getting 22 to 24 mpgs with the driving I do and I have gotten 26 mpgs a few times driving 60 to 65 miles per hour on level highway . All Mpg calculations are by doing the math.

The 2018 F350 x cab 4X4 with the 6.2 gas engine is not so good in comparison considering it weighs close to 2,000 lbs more and usually pulls a 7,500 trailer. The wife says the with the dash readout gets between 9mpg and almost 14 Mpgs . [with its use.] The P/U has never been on a free way trip with out the trailer.
My son has a 2004 (new style) F150 Lariat, 5.4 3V engine. He is always complaining about his gas mileage. He states that his dash mileage indicator is always reading 13 mpg at best. The differential is a 3:55 LS. That probably plays a big role in the mileage.
My cousin ordered his 2010 F150 Lariat, 5.4 3V engine, with a 3:08 LS differential. He's getting about 22 mpg highway. He only pulls a 16' aluminum bateau with a Mercury 50, sometimes.

My average over the last 15k miles in my 4wd Ram 1500 5.7 3.92 gears is 16.4. That includes some towing. The truck will return an honest 20mpg at a steady 75mph on the interstate, but that's rarely how I'm driving.

89 Sierra (21k on crate engine) with 3.73 rear end and auto tranny, 18 highway, really don't know city but guessing around 12ish which isn't bad considering it's TBI.

89 Sierra (21k on crate engine) with 3.73 rear end and auto tranny, 18 highway, really don't know city but guessing around 12ish which isn't bad considering it's TBI.
My very last hot rod I ever built when I lived in Tampa, FL., was a 1984 short bed GMC. It ran 13.23 @ 103 mph in the 1/4 mile at Desoto Drag strip in Bradenton, FL. It got 5-6 mpg, roughly.

Hell, it was rated 21 on the highway. It would do that at 55mph on a flat highway, possibly.
You are not going to get comparable mpg on your truck verses one with the AFM active. It does make a difference despite what the truck boards say.

You are not going to get comparable mpg on your truck verses one with the AFM active. It does make a difference despite what the truck boards say.

IME, it netted less than 1mpg difference. But it's only a sample size of 1. My buddy has a 2017 1500 and hasn't seen a discernible difference on his either. So that's a sample size of 2 but yeah.

IME, it netted less than 1mpg difference. But it's only a sample size of 1. My buddy has a 2017 1500 and hasn't seen a discernible difference on his either. So that's a sample size of 2 but yeah.

The "best figure" represents mpg over 1 - 50 mile stretch. Obviously-it was in AFM mode for the vast majority of time.
mpg.jpg

The "best figure" represents mpg over 1 - 50 mile stretch. Obviously-it was in AFM mode for the vast majority of time.
View attachment 70477
And my CR-V once got 40mpg with a 30mph tailwind. Doesn't mean it's the norm. ;)

even the newer Ecotec AFM engines are only rated 22 highway. So yeah, AFM/DFM really isn't doing much. Now, if you apply a 1mpg increase across the fleet numbering hundreds of thousands of trucks, that looks great to CAFE. But real world, 1mpg when you're getting 15-20mpg isn't jackcrap. And it's definitely worth all of the problems that AFM/DFM is causing.

Last edited:
Wife and I took a trip to north GA today, and I thought I would see how gentle I could be. Only a few miles of 65 mph highway driving, the rest was either in town or very hilly country roads (45-55mph). Driving like a normal person netted me 26mpg on the nose for the whole 160 mile trip. Premium fuel in the truck for the last several changes.

18 f150 5.0. averages 18. i do a pretty good mix. im heavy footed though. I was driving my truck everywhere, but now my wife got a new car. So we take her's everywhere now. I dont put near the miles i use too. Probably fill up about 1.5 times a month.

What is this thing about guys exaggerating the gas mileage of your pickup trucks? The epa.gov MPG ratings are available for all these trucks and lets us call shens on half of this.

What is this thing about guys exaggerating the gas mileage of your pickup trucks? The epa.gov MPG ratings are available for all these trucks and lets us call shens on half of this.
18 is what the govt says it should get. im not following.

My last tank was 17.3mpg…. Sorry for exaggerating with my claimed 17.5-18.5mpg!

Clearly he's not talking about you, if you had half a brain and were able to understand context.
A. It’s a joke, relax a little…. Actually a lot.
B. He did say “half” these claims, but I don’t see anything truly unreasonable in the entire thread 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mine (15 F150 5.0) does not have a large differential between city and highway. City is 14 to 16.

Highway at 70 and under in 19ish depending on hills. Most consistent mileage I get is 17 and change at 78/80.

Few weeks ago trip to Acadia Maine which is about 450 miles each way and light Bar Harbor traffic.

Total miles just under 1000 and whole trip mpg was 17.8.

Attachments

• 20210831_084544.jpg
    20210831_084544.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 4
A. It’s a joke, relax a little…. Actually a lot.
B. He did say “half” these claims, but I don’t see anything truly unreasonable in the entire thread 🤷🏻‍♂️
A.) yeah, jokes are supposed to be funny. When they’re not, how is someone supposed to know?
B.) you need to read more of the thread if you can’t find any that are unreasonable.

Back