Truck Gas Mileage

I own a 2007 Regular Cab F150, 4.2 V6, auto trans., 165K miles. I bought it new with only 6 miles on it.
Today was the first real long highway trip I have travelled since my sons shop foreman repaired/replaced the fuel tank overflow filter assembly.
Before this repair the best city/town mileage was about 18 mpg (17.8 to be exact), highway mileage 20 (20.2 to be exact). Today I had to take a 240 mile round trip. The speed limit was 70 mph, but I was doing 65 mph, with the a/c on. After the trip I filled up with gas and was getting 21.1 mpg.
I used to be one of those people that would like to fill my tank until it was coming out of the fill neck. TRUST ME, you don't want to do this! :rolleyes:
Since the repair and at every gas fill, I stop the pump on the 1st click.
Those of you that are truck owners, what kind of mileage are you getting?

The Silverado 5.3w/AFM will easily obtain 25mpg on the highway if you do not exceed 70mph. Of course the 5.3 is a substantially bigger and more powerful than the 4.2 V6 in your vehicle. But newer technology also plays a BIG PART.

2020 Ram 1500 DT 5.7 eTorque, 2wd, 3.21 gears.

15-16 mpg city driving.

18.5-20 mpg highway (75-80 mph)

89 octane.

Our '15 Silverado with the 5.3 does pretty well, seeing low to mid 20s in "normal" highway conditions with higher speeds and some wind, approaching and hitting solid mid 20s under better conditions (65ish mph and no extreme headwind). It's got a lifetime MPG of ~19 (I believe it's sitting at 18.9 mpg currently), including fair bits of short-tripping in town, plenty of remote start use in winter, and rather occasional towing/dirt/harder use. It does a lot of 2-mile commuting, but also will occasionally get trips of 100-700 miles on the highway, when it'll pull down 23-25 mpg plus, without trying hard to do so. Considering all that, I've been pretty impressed with its MPG over 75,000 miles, and the AFM engine still doesn't use any oil. Its switching to V4 mode (I know that V4s don't really exist in the real world, but that's the configuration this truck uses for AFM) from V8 and back is seamless, and wouldn't be noticed unless you see the screen change. This truck has only ever seen 87 octane, sometimes TT, and a couple cans of Seafoam/bottles of Techron plus dealer oil changes when the OLM calls for them.

My Silverado gets about 15-16mpg if I drive 70-75. Goes up to about 18 if I'm doing 55-60.

5.3l with AFM disabled and tuned

The new Sierra 3500 with the 6.6 gas got 14.6 last Saturday morning on a 200 mile round trip to north Phoenix that included 1 hour plus/30 miles of stop and go uphill traffic on the Interstate getting out of Phoenix with 50,000 other vehicles going north for the Labor Day weekend. One of the dumber things I've done lately but it was a last minute appointment that had to be kept.

My Silverado gets about 15-16mpg if I drive 70-75. Goes up to about 18 if I'm doing 55-60.

5.3l with AFM disabled and tuned
That seems low for a 5.3. Does yours have oversized tires or a lift?

in my 03 rwd sierra at 35mph ac on I'm getting no lie 32mpg and ac off 34mpg. at 45 about 24 ac on. at 65 ac on about 21-22mpg.

Now my awd yukon xl denali and new rwd escalade esv yeah i wish.

That seems low for a 5.3. Does yours have oversized tires or a lift?
It's right in line with a pre-Ecotec AFM 5.3l honestly. The only ones who seem to get "stellar" mpg out of them seem to be people on this website. If you go to an actual Silverado/Sierra forum, you'll never see the kinds of numbers people here are posting.

It has stock size tires and a level kit on it, no lift.

Had got 17.7mpg on winter blend with plenty of 120km/h highway and only managing 18 doing the same on summer blend.

I usually get 19.5 with my 19 F150 supercrew 4x4 2.7 with mixed driving (60% city.)
My wife usually gets 17.5 in her 15 F150 supercrew 3.5 that usually sees 80% city driving. The best I've gotten with the 2.7 was when I set the cruise at 62. I ended up getting 24.8. I've never tried it in the 3.5 but I assume it'll get 1-2 worse.

22.5 driving back and forth to work, which is half slow country road with a stretch in the middle of cuising. I've seen as high as 26 at moderate interstate 'heavy traffic' speeds. Of course, driving aggressively will send it straight to the basement. Coming back from PA this year I was lucky to get 21 traveling at 70-80mph. Can't argue with physics, at 80mph steady level ground you're about 1-2psi into boost.

22.5 driving back and forth to work, which is half slow country road with a stretch in the middle of cuising. I've seen as high as 26 at moderate interstate 'heavy traffic' speeds. Of course, driving aggressively will send it straight to the basement. Coming back from PA this year I was lucky to get 21 traveling at 70-80mph. Can't argue with physics, at 80mph steady level ground you're about 1-2psi into boost.
If I had to guess, my truck would average 10-12% less under those conditions.

Not trying to turn this into a midsize vs 1/2 ton debate, but it seems like the fuel economy difference between a midsize and 1/2 ton has not really changed....despite the more modern powertrain(s).

If I had to guess, my truck would average 10-12% less under those conditions.

Not trying to turn this into a midsize vs 1/2 ton debate, but it seems like the fuel economy difference between a midsize and 1/2 ton has not really changed....despite the more modern powertrain(s).
Yep, can only get a big barn door so slippery, still going to take a good amount of fuel to push it through the air.

03 Ram 1500 SLT, crew cab, long bed ,5.7 hemi ,3.55 rear, no or low load 18 highway 16.5 mixed, towing 5500 lb trailer 14 highway 12 mixed. Never spent enough time in the city to get a decent mileage number.

20.5 on the average over several thousand miles shown on my 2.7 eco as of today. It’s dropped from 20.7 over the past three weeks. max ive seen on a tank is about 21.9.

Man, I thought my V6 was knocking down some great gas mileage. I see some great gas mileage from bigger engines, and heavier trucks. Y'all don't play fair. :cautious:

Back