Tropartic is cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to WM tonight looking through the oil section and found Tropartic for $1.47 a quart. I couldn't believe it. 50 cents less than the next cheapest. I've been reading Tropartic is pretty good oil. I might start buying it for that price. Could I go 5k with it?

quote:

Originally posted by techie:
Went to WM tonight looking through the oil section and found Tropartic for $1.47 a quart. I couldn't believe it. 50 cents less than the next cheapest. I've been reading Tropartic is pretty good oil. I might start buying it for that price. Could I go 5k with it?

It is a syn blend (Group III) and a very good oil. I use it an recommend it based on all of the good advice from this sight and the excellent product and performance characteristics. See the attached PDS for more specs. TropArtic

I'll be doing a UOA on mine at the next change at (yep, you guessed it) 5,000 miles.
grin.gif

I'm on my second run of TropArtic 5w30 in my Mazda V6 right now. It appears to be identical to Motorcraft.

I've experimented with many oils and weights in my Mazda and it just likes Motorcraft/TropArtic 5w30 the best.

I think it is an excellent oil at an excellent price. Then again, when compared to the competition, Motorcraft 5w30 at 2.07 isn't a bad deal either.

My walmart seems to sell a lot of the Motorcraft oil and recently enlarged the shelf-space devoted to it. They now also carry MotorCraft 15w40 with the "powerstroke diesel" emblem on the back. They also have the 5qt jugs of 5w20, and single quarts of 10w40. I wish they would start carrying the 5 qt jugs of 5w30 as well.

I notice you guys up north got TropArtic at your local Walmarts, but down here we don't.
dunno.gif
confused.gif

Atleast I bought a few quarts from Dollar General when they carried it.
smile.gif

I have always used Motorcraft on my truck and decided to try TropArtic when I saw it a Wally World. My truck loved it so I bought out all they had and bought some from a couple other mom and pop shops in the area. I have since used all that stash up and cant find it anywhere anymore. I see a few quarts at Wally World now and again but never enough to do a whole oil change with.

Well here at WM there isn't a lot of shelf space for it. But it looks like not a lot of people buy it. The shelf is full while other brands are half gone.

Most of our Wal-Marts up here have it, and a few of the farm stores. I saw some today at a farm store called "Orscheln". I haven't seen it at Rural King or Tractor Supply, but I usually buy it out when I see it. Actually, now that I think of it, Orscheln had 5W-20, which I hadn't been able to find.

We can get Motorcraft for $9.xx in a five quart jug at many of our WM's up here.

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
I notice you guys up north got TropArtic at your local Walmarts, but down here we don't.
dunno.gif
confused.gif

Atleast I bought a few quarts from Dollar General when they carried it.
smile.gif

When I lived in Pennsylslovakia, the local Walmarts didn't carry TA either. However, thanks to BITOG, I soon found that all of those Conoco blends were similar, if not the same. Luckily, a local BigLots had hundreds of bottles of Kendall GT-1 at $1.68. Considering that the best I could do on GTX was $1.77, I bought a bunch.

If you have a BigLots in your area, it might be worth checking out.

Ray, one of the WM's here has the same thing, they even have TA 5w30 that does *not* say synthetic blend, it's also SL rated. So folks, if you want the Conoco-Phillips Gp II/Gp III blend, be sure to read the label!
cheers.gif

The old stock Trop-Artic is a mix of Group 2 and 2 Plus,new stuff in about 30% group 3 and 2 plus in a small part group 1,(for proper dispersion of adds),so Im told..BL

Be careful on that synthetic-blend assumption, folks. I was at the Fontana, CA WalMart last week and noticed their entire stock of 10W-30 TropArtic did not have "synthetic-blend" in the labeling. My 1st reaction was that ConocoPhillips had developed a terminal case of the cheap-out nasties. On further examination, though (and after my palpitations were under control) I looked at the back of the bottle and noticed a revision date of 01-02. This is VERY old stock of SL/GF-3 that WalMart in my area is unloading. Keep a sharp eye out - I doubt the Fontana store is alone.

So far, all the TA's I've bought here say Synthetic Blend on the front, but thanks for the heads up...I'll keep my eyes open!

You'd most likely be seeing old stock then. Both 10/30 and 5/30 here are labeled synthetic blend.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Be careful on that synthetic-blend assumption, folks. I was at the Fontana, CA WalMart last week and noticed their entire stock of 10W-30 TropArtic did not have "synthetic-blend" in the labeling. My 1st reaction was that ConocoPhillips had developed a terminal case of the cheap-out nasties. On further examination, though (and after my palpitations were under control) I looked at the back of the bottle and noticed a revision date of 01-02. This is VERY old stock of SL/GF-3 that WalMart in my area is unloading. Keep a sharp eye out - I doubt the Fontana store is alone.

My local mechanic has TA in 55G drums. 10w-30 in summer and 5w-30 in winter. Drums say SM. He knows his stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back