trivia about old TVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 10-year-old Sony Wega 32" flat-screen (NOT panel..this thing is huge & weighs 160lbs) that is bulletproof! It's been dropped on the deck, rolled down a hill, and soaked with windex quite a few times. When it finally kicks the bucket (or we upgrade), we'll be buying another Sony for sure.

Wow, what a trip down memory lane this has been. V-hold, screen fading to a dot, 30 second warm ups. I had forgotten about all that.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Wow, what a trip down memory lane this has been. V-hold, screen fading to a dot, 30 second warm ups. I had forgotten about all that.

Did you guys get Test Card broadcasts?
AKA Test pattern.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_card

Last edited:
This one also: following the playing of our National Anthem at the end of broadcast.
312px-RCA_Indian_Head_test_pattern.JPG

Those adjustment screws were once knobs in plain view! I remember test patterns very well- I used to get up *early* on Saturday mornings, turn on the TV, get a bowl of cereal & watch the test pattern until the Tarzan movie came on. You had to have those settings right or Johnny Weismuller looked really strange.
grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I LOVED the old TV`s with the real wood-furniture grade cabinets!
are you serious???

Absolutely! I DETEST all the cheapy and chincy plastic junk they make now. Everything`s so disposable these days :^(

Wow! This topic surely brings back childhood memories. We always seemed to have a style that was either a floor model or one that stood on four legs. We didn't have cable back then so we could only pick up channel 6 from Johnstown, channel 10 from Altoona, channel 3 from Clearfield and 2,4,7,and 11 from Pittsburgh. On a typical Saturday night my folkes and I would get a big pizza and then I would stay up late to watch Chiller Theater hosted by Chilly Billy Cardille. It showed horror and monster movies. Anybody from western PA knows what I'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back