Trigger take-up

That was one of the reasons I didn’t get an LCP...so, to answer your question, no, I didn’t get used to it.

They’re super-popular, and very much in demand, but the Sig P365XL, which is slightly larger, is an excellent small 9mm.

I just got one, and the trigger is excellent, capacity is great, and it just plain shoots well.

Well worth your consideration.

You'd probably like the trigger on a Wilson Combat 1911. To save money, look at a CZ P10F which has an incredible trigger.

The OP is talking about a very small 9mm, suitable for pocket carry.

Full size gun isn’t really a relevant discussion, unless the OP is just looking for a gun, in which case, a 9mm Wilson is a sweet gun...

I am a novice shooting 9MM, I tried a Ruger LCP and the take-up before it shot was all the way back to the trigger guard. Do you guys
get used to the long trigger pull?
Trigger action has always been a sore point for this Pistol, but there are multiple company’s that have perfected the trigger action on this fine Firearm....

WWW.MCARBO.COM Is a fine source for trigger mods to perfect its action.

You never get used to it. My biggest problem is that the pull is so long that my trigger finger is hitting my thumb before it goes off. I had to get a replacement flat trigger in order to use it. I am also assuming that you have the .380 LCP and not the LC9.

Micro pistols are probably the worst thing for a beginner to learn on. 380 ammo was more expensive than 9mm back when you could buy it and you need to shoot a bunch to get comfortable with little pistols. Best bet is to take some lessons.

For a first pistol I would seriously consider plotting what you need/want in a pistol. I prefer the Glock 43X and also agree with Astro's recommendation of the Sig 365XL. Both have much better triggers and the reliability of both is stellar. There were issues when the 365 came out but those have been fixed and AFAIK it did not involve the XL model.

If you are looking for a "do it all" pistol it is very difficult to beat a Glock 19. Many carry it daily and it is large enough to serve as a full duty carry as well. Another do it all is a Sig 229 but it is much heavier and a lot more $$ than the 19. Best thing you can do is shoot a friends or rent at a range before buying.

I own both an LCP and an LC9. When you come from the world of 1911s you can never get used to or like the LCP or LC9 triggers, you just can't. I carry a Springfield XDs 9mm, which has a much much better trigger. Both the LCP and LC9 have been installed in my safe for years and I will probably just sell them.

Got my wife an all metal version and the daughter this composite. They handled them well …
BDE19DEB-69CF-42FC-8242-188B2B0DE42A.jpeg
F84E1CF6-47A3-452A-BE3C-F109C222C603.jpeg

I’ve got no use for “safe queens” - guns that you’ll never shoot and sit collecting dust in the back of the safe.

I do have two guns I’ll never shoot, an 1858 Starr revolver and an 1862 Sharps Carbine. Both have nice display cases.

But a modern gun that doesn’t fit a need, or desire? I’d rather turn that into a down payment on a gun I’ll use and enjoy.

For crisp triggers (albeit sometimes "harder" pulls) its harder to beat a Glock. Really like my 43X, don't like my P365 bc its mushy. Hellcat is very good.

I'd encourage you to try a new P365XL.

I had mine at the range, alongside one of my G17s, one that has had the "25 cent trigger job" which is really just a polish of a couple of critical surfaces. That G17 has well over a thousand rounds through it since the polish and has one of the best stock triggers of any Glock I've shot. It's my range/competition* gun.

In a side by side comparison with my relatively low time Sig, I didn't think that the Glock had a much better trigger. I thought the Sig trigger compared quite well.

I'm a fan of the P365XL (flat trigger face, slightly longer slide and slightly bigger magazine over the P365) and I had shopped the 43, 43X, and 48. I own several Glocks and like them.

But the combination of size, magazine capacity, ergonomics, red dot and yeah, trigger tipped the scale in favor of the more expensive Sig P365XL.

I looked at a Glock blue label 48 and 43, so, decently priced in these times. I was very lucky to have found the Sig, a P365XL with the Romeo red dot, for the LEO price. I paid $596 + tax, and they go for nearly $900 in local gun stores...if you can find one...

*This isn't me crowing about my experience, just me describing my gun. I was just starting to get into competition shooting a couple of years ago, and have a whopping two competitions under my belt. CV-19 ruined this last year. I shot my H&K USP Compact .40 the first time out, but there was no points advantage for the .40 over the 9mm, the 9mm is faster on follow up and subsequent shots, and the Glock capacity was an advantage (17+1 vs. 12+1 for the H&K). I've bought the holster, etc. for the G17 with the intent to shoot more competitions. I wasn't very competitive but but I wasn't the worst shooter out there and it sure was fun. I'm shopping new sights for the Glock, because, while I'm fine with the stock sights, there are some set ups that are better for quick acquisition. Sorry for the detour. I am a Glock fan, and wanted to be certain that my comments weren't interpreted as anti-Glock.

Back