Tremec HP MTF - No more ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it would appear that Tremec has come out with their own branded MTF for use in ALL Tremec Transmissions from 2008 and newer.

I just stumbled across this yesterday and figured I would post about it to get some thoughts on it from the experts. All the of the Tremec transmissions I have owned T56 and TR6060 have called for a ATF (Dex3) type fluid. If you look at the specs below you will clearly see this is NOT like an ATF.

This is from the Tremec 2018 performance Brochure:
http://www.tremec.com/anexos/2018_Performance-Product-Guide.pdf

NEW FOR 2018:
TREMEC® HP-MTF™ MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID
We get the question all of the time, "What kind of oil do you
guys recommend?" And now, we're pleased to announce our
definitive answer --
"TREMEC oil, of course!"
Developed in conjuction with world-class automotive and
industrial lubricant producers, TREMEC's new HP-MTFâ„¢
H-igh
P-erformance
M-anual
T-ransmission
F-luid is designed to
provide an ideal balance of rugged protection and responsive
shifting in accordance with the OEM-level standards of
TREMEC's own engineers.
Compatible with all TREMEC manuals produced from 2008-to-
current, HP-MTF is also yellow metal safe, meaning that it may
also provide benefits in non-TREMEC units, such as the early
3- & 4-speeds that TREMECs typically displace. Although
acceptable for use in all climates, HP-MTF is especially well-
suited to summer-like conditions; and while developed first-
and-foremost with street performance in mind, is capable of
supporting severe-duty use in competition applications.

PDS:
https://americanpowertrain.com/pdf/124244
Specifications & Technical Properties:
GL-4
SAE viscosity 75W85
Kinematic viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 12.1 - !!!
Kinematic viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 71.6
Viscosity index (ASTM D2270) 167
Brookfield viscosity @ -40°C , cP 65000
Foam stability (ASTM D-892) (20/50/20) 0/0/0
Flash point - °F (ASTM D-92) 338 - Conventional Fluid???
Copper corrosion - 3 hrs @ 150°C (ASTM D130) 2B
Kinematic viscosity % change @ 100°C (170°C @ 192 hrs.) 13.7
Kinematic viscosity % change @ 40°C (170°C @ 192 hrs.) 18.2
Minimum pour temperature - °F (ASTM D-97) -70
Maximum handling temperature - °F 158
Maximum storage temperature - °F 113

This stuff retails for about $19 a quart so I am not about to run out and buy it for my TR6060 just yet. What this does tell me is that running a thicker fluid won't make your Tremec implode like many would have you believe. I also tells me that in high performance and severe duty Tremec would like to see a thicker fluid used. However, they due allude to summer weather performance so based on the 12.1 cSt this would not work well for winter use.

I doubt that this new fluid would be OEM approved for warranty use so until my warranty runs out I will make sure the fluid in my TR6060 drains out "red". But after that I am inclined to run something thicker such as Amsoil MTF or Redline MTL since I don't need to worry about cold weather performance. My SS Sedan is a garage queen when the temps get below 40F.

Would like to get some input from the experts on Tremec's new recommendation on a using a true MTF and a much thicker fluid than the typical 7-8 cSt ATF based products. What new alternative products does this open the door for using? Is there something special in the additive package? I doubt it but would be interesting to know. Unfortunately right now it is to pricey to buy just for a VOA.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
What vehicle is this transmission used in ?

This is for the Tremec TR6060 MT in my Chevy SS Sedan (re-badged Holden Commodore).

You can keep using ATF like before, or you could use GM Synchromesh or RP Synchromax, or Amalie DCT Fluid. You do not have to spend $20 a quart on the Tremec brand MTF
smile.gif

When they said it was suitable for summer conditions, I expected it to be a synchromesh clone. Something like 9-10 cst @ 100. But 12.1?! [censored]. I'll stick to Pennzoil synchromesh in my t56

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
You can keep using ATF like before, or you could use GM Synchromesh or RP Synchromax, or Amalie DCT Fluid. You do not have to spend $20 a quart on the Tremec brand MTF
smile.gif

I had no intentions of actually buying or using this stuff. I am more interested in what made Tremec change their tune from only recommending a conventional Dex III based ATF 7-8 cSt fluid to that of a 12.1 cSt MTF. Why such a drastic change in fluid recommendation.

Originally Posted by ABomb369
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
What vehicle is this transmission used in ?

This is for the Tremec TR6060 MT in my Chevy SS Sedan (re-badged Holden Commodore).

The TR-6060 is also used in the newer Camaro SS/whatever other RPO codes have a V8, 07-14 Mustang GT-500, Vipers, I'm sure other cars too. Then there is the aftermarket Magnum XL version that you want to pony up and buy if you are putting a TR-6060 in anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back