Transmission pan glued on with rtv

This thing is glued on. The transmission didn't come with a gasket so rtv I what incised. I used blue rtv last time and I figured it would come off once I removed all the bolts. She's glued on good. I did use a rubber mallet and a screw driver to jam into the pan seam, but that didn't work out too well.

What's the question?

RTV is also a bad idea, if the OE didn't do it, because little chunks can get loose and into valve bodies.

Some dodges use RTV so they're an exception.

When you get this pan off it won't be straight, so buy a new one now and a proper gasket. Try not to scratch the trans mating surface with your implements of destruction, or you'll get... a leak.

I use a scraper to bust through the RTV and then a screwdriver for the rest, making sure not to deform the pan. I prefer RTV (less is more) rather than gaskets unless it's a reusable one. RTV makes an excellent seal and therefore requires an increased amount of work to re-prep the surfaces over paper or cork.

Last edited:
Make sure you use the correct RTV for trans fluid. The friction modifiers in trans fluid attacks RTV; only certain types are compatible. Stellantus, Permatex and Threebond all sell RTV's that are specifically designed for trans fluid.

Use one of these tools for separating the oil pan:

Get a plastic scraper instead of metal?
I am assuming the pan does not have drain plug?
Then, buy a pan with drain plug if available to replace this one so you don't have to take of the pan again?

Scraper between pan and trans, I would try not to pry, but push in every few inches, so as to cut through it. Work your way around all of it, scoring as you go.

I tried rtv once, but it didn’t take. Rubber gasket worked so much better. Live and learn.

Is it for the truck in your sig? :unsure:

If so, they do make a real gasket for your transmission pan, as well as aftermarket pans that include a drain plug, so you don't have to drop the pan again :)

Sounds like a work truck you may keep for a while. slacktide has a solid suggestion, aftermarket pan to make future drain/fills a breeze.

On SKYACTIV automatic transmissions Mazda uses a special sealant for the purpose from ThreeBond in Japan. The reman operation uses the same product.

Look into something like this in the future after you get that pan off, if you decide to go the same route. Regular RTV is a lousy choice in some applications where it might seem ideal. Ask me how I know...

I have used the Permatex transmission RTV (part number 81180) on a Subaru pan. It worked well, only thing is if you're in a rush, this won't work. Instructions have you lay down an even bead about 4mm, put the pan up and tighten by hand evenly till the bead touches and just starts squeezing out. You then wait, I think an hour, then go around and give each bolt a 1/2 turn. Next they want you to leave it overnight to cure.

As mentioned the 68RFE was supposed to use RTV. Some report gaskets work, others report they eventually leak on that trans.

We did an aftermarket pan on my buddy's '07.5 CTD and just used the supplied gasket....working for now (shrug)

RTV is also a bad idea, if the OE didn't do it, because little chunks can get loose and into valve bodies.

Some dodges use RTV so they're an exception.

When you get this pan off it won't be straight, so buy a new one now and a proper gasket. Try not to scratch the trans mating surface with your implements of destruction, or you'll get... a leak.
Nonsense. Most all car manufacturers switched to RTV years ago. It's superior for sealing compared to a physical gasket. I would use RTV to replace a gasket in most cases.

Nonsense. Most all car manufacturers switched to RTV years ago. It's superior for sealing compared to a physical gasket. I would use RTV to replace a gasket in most cases.
Also on 3.slow Toys supposedly the factory used RTV for the oil pan gasket. I believe you can now obtain oil pan gaskets (aftermarket) but most guys still just use RTV -- I know I did when I re-sealed on a '93 4Runner recently

I actually prefer gaskets because they're easier overall but whatever....

My fathers ‘06 Outback came with orange colored RTV type sealant from factory and I recalled using a single sided razor blade to get the corner started. Then I used a metal blade putty knife to pierce through but keeping in mind not to shove the entire depth of the blade in and with a twisting and careful sliding motion, the sealant gracefully got easier and easier before you can just peel the entire pan away from the tranny block. The putty knife was more substantial, not too sharp to gauge the aluminum and thin enough to cut through.

Back