What is your favorite rtv/gasket maker"?

Hey guys.
First off, I know that this stuff has its place. Rtv or form-a-gasket is not a universal sealer for everything. So we can squash that now.
But the question is, when you come across a job where it's required, what's your favorite?
Examples may include:
Small block chevy China rails.
Diff covers
The corners of a pushrod v8 timing cover
Some transmission or engine oil pans.
I don't really want to start a thread about why I shouldn't use it.
I'm actually about to use some on some sbc China rails. 1995 tbi 350 to be exact. I want a sealer that will last.

RTV and anaerobic are two different things - you may want to edit your thread title for clarity.

Loctite 518 is a pretty good anaerobic sealer but its application is limited to two surfaces that are precision-machined with minimal gap fill.

Most trans pans, oil pans and diff covers have too large of a gap fill requirement to be sealed by anaerobic.

Use the one specifically made for the job if you want the best results. I've been saying to use RTV instead of transmission pan gaskets but then some people will say, no, I did that once and leaked so much. Probably because they used a universal RTV.

Oil pans
Permatex-82135-Ultra-Synthetic-2.png

Differentials
Permatex-81182-Gear-Oil-RTV-Gasket-Maker-1.png

Automatic transmissions
Permatex-81180-Automatic-Transmission-RTV-Gasket-Maker-1.png

Water pumps and coolant housings
Permatex-Water-Pump-and-Thermostat-RTV-Silicone-Gasket-Maker-.5-OZ-22071-1.jpg

I didn't know Permatex had such a variety, I'll need more shelf space.

I didn't know Permatex had such a variety, I'll need more shelf space.

RTV has a shelf life.. it last quite a while in a sealed tube but makes no sense to have a ton of it unless you use it often

Cummins uses the Grey on Gear Train housings and stuff like that in lieu of a gasket
Mopar uses Black on Trans pans..
and GM used to use Black on rocker covers on SBC engines..

RTV has a shelf life.. it last quite a while in a sealed tube but makes no sense to have a ton of it unless you use it often

Cummins uses the Grey on Gear Train housings and stuff like that in lieu of a gasket
Mopar uses Black on Trans pans..
and GM used to use Black on rocker covers on SBC engines..
It can actually expire fairly quickly - 1217H for Nissan/Hyundai usually expires within a month or two of when we receive it from the dealer. MB stuff as well, sometimes.

Some of them will harden when expired. Others will appear fine, but won't cure.

Hoarders beware.

I use Motorcraft TA-29 for everything and have never had a leak anywhere on anything I’ve used it on.

It may be a copy of permatex ultra grey, but I’m not sure. All I know is it works

Permatex is my go to for these products when required. I have on my shelf:
  • Ultra Black
  • Ultra Grey
  • Gear Oil Gasket Maker - I use this in place of a gasket on diff covers in many applications and it has been excellent
I also use their thread locker series in blue (medium), orange (mid) and red (high) strengths.

permatex 90 minute right stuff black
or
permatex grey
I've used both many times and never had a problem. I've even used rite stuff as wiring insulation on an abs sensor wire that got rubbed too much

x1000 for Ultra Black if you can live w cure time. Works for 90% of stuff, relatively inexpensive, readily available even at places like WM

Remember there's a "mid-grade" Right Stuff with 90 minute cure which is barely more expensive than Ultra. Some WalMarts sometimes carry it, but less so since the irrational global panic of '20.

I'm pretty much always too cheap to pay for the 15 minute cure Cheez Whiz Right Stuff, although I completely understand it for the professional tech who's fast and proficient (none of which describes me)

Back