Using red RTV gasket maker instead of a real gasket when replacing thermostat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the information guys, really appreciate it
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by PotatoFarmer77w
thumbsup2.gif

So what kind of gasket did you need? Does your thermostat housing have a flat gasket or does it have a ring around the thermostat flange?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by PotatoFarmer77w
thumbsup2.gif

So what kind of gasket did you need? Does your thermostat housing have a flat gasket or does it have a ring around the thermostat flange?

I know it has a ring for sure. I'm not sure about whether it has the flat gasket or not. I guess the only way to find out is to take it apart. if it needs a flat gasket I'll just use RTV to make one.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
My BIL(48 yr diesel tech) always said that...you can't buy a gasket as good as what you can make with RTV.

Folks,

The lesson to take from this statement is that the higher # of years on the job does not always mean that you should listen to that person's advice.

You have an actual flat gasket that is solely for the thermostat housing? None of my cars do, all of them have a round rubber gasket that fits onto the thermostat and seals both the housing and the thermostat against the head. In that type of application you wouldn't ever use RTV.

Gen 1 SBC's and many other older engines used flat gaskets on the thermostat housing.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by das_peikko
Use the Ultra Black instead. Butter both mating surfaces. Wipe off the squeeze-out. Give it a full 24 hour cure.

Good way to clog water passages.

RTV should only be used when specifically called for by the repair procedure, and it should be used sparingly.

Hacks glob it on and call it "good enough."

Agreed. Only use RTV if that was the factory specified sealer for the component. If it came with a gasket, use a gasket. Cleaning up RTV is a major pain and always risks damage to the surface finish.

Also, when you do have to use RTV, never ever "butter" it on. Apply a bead of the correct diameter and allow the two surfaces to squeeze the bead flat. This way you will ensure an even coat.

You have an actual flat gasket that is solely for the thermostat housing? None of my cars do, all of them have a round rubber gasket that fits onto the thermostat and seals both the housing and the thermostat against the head. In that type of application you wouldn't ever use RTV.

Same here - I have only seen o-rings use in this application. Then again, I rarely work on domestic cars so I dunno.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by Kestas
It's rather easy. Trace the thermostat housing on gasket material and cut. Gasket material doesn't have to be anything fancy. You can use thick paper material sometimes used in packaging or even milk carton material.

Beats running down to the store and paying 50 cents.

What material do you use?

And yes, you bring a really good point.

You can get a roll of gasket material in various dimensions for not much money. It never goes bad (unless you let it sit in a puddle somewhere?), buy it ahead of time to have for various uses.

Below are examples from Autozone and Advance Auto, but given the internet today, I'm sure you can get other sizes and cheaper per foot if needed. Cut it with a straight edge and X-acto knife, or beefy scissors or whatever.

https://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/gasket-material

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/felpro-gasket-material-3157/5189950-p

Last edited:
Is cardboard really a legitimate gasket material for long term?

I can understand TetraPak carton as they are plastic and paper laminate, but not just cardboard.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by das_peikko
Use the Ultra Black instead. Butter both mating surfaces. Wipe off the squeeze-out. Give it a full 24 hour cure.

Good way to clog water passages.

RTV should only be used when specifically called for by the repair procedure, and it should be used sparingly.

Hacks glob it on and call it "good enough."

Agreed. Only use RTV if that was the factory specified sealer for the component. If it came with a gasket, use a gasket. Cleaning up RTV is a major pain and always risks damage to the surface finish.

Also, when you do have to use RTV, never ever "butter" it on. Apply a bead of the correct diameter and allow the two surfaces to squeeze the bead flat. This way you will ensure an even coat.

Same here - I have only seen o-rings use in this application. Then again, I rarely work on domestic cars so I dunno.

My 4.9L E-150 uses a flat gasket for the thermostat housing. I use a gasket and Permatex High Tack. I never had one leak, I changed quite a few thermostats on them. I've owned and still own 4.9L powered Fords since 1984. I wouldn't think of RTV for that application.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Is cardboard really a legitimate gasket material for long term?

OT, but I saw one guy try it with exhaust manifolds. You can imagine how well that went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back