How to store opened RTV gasket maker?

As the title suggests, anyone have a foolproof way of storing the opened tubes of gasket maker so that they don't harden after sitting for a few weeks? The neck of the tube on mine always harden no matter how secure I put the lid on, then I have to use a coat hanger or something to pierce it. It's a chore every time, I usually waste a half tube because the stuff hardens over time.

Curious if the cans of RTV prevent this problem:

www.amazon.com/Permatex-82194-High-Torque-Silicone-Gasket/dp/B000HBM4K6/

I don't need 9 oz of RTV but for $20, if it lasts a long time without hardening and isn't a hassle to use it each time, I'd certainly bite.

Try to clear the tip best you can and if you have a red wire nut usually the size that fits screw it over the tip

I pushed a PC case screw inside the metal hole of the tube, then I put the cap on top of it. Whenever I need to use it again, the glue flows freely.

I've had some limited success squeezing a bit more lifetime out of a tube (har har) by sealing the opening and end of the tube with some cellophane wrap, then putting on the cap. The cap alone isn't going to do much.

Some RTV sealants cure by drawing moisture from the air, so whatever helps to mitigate that may help. Perhaps even a sealed box with desiccant packets. For storing wood finishes that oxidize, there's a company that sells compressed argon gas to fill the space in empty cans and displace the oxygen in the air.

But the bottom line is that, once opened, the clock starts on the shelf life, so don't buy in excessive amounts, and consider them pretty much one-shot deals.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
As the title suggests, anyone have a foolproof way of storing the opened tubes of gasket maker so that they don't harden after sitting for a few weeks? The neck of the tube on mine always harden no matter how secure I put the lid on, then I have to use a coat hanger or something to pierce it. It's a chore every time, I usually waste a half tube because the stuff hardens over time.

Curious if the cans of RTV prevent this problem:

www.amazon.com/Permatex-82194-High-Torque-Silicone-Gasket/dp/B000HBM4K6/

I don't need 9 oz of RTV but for $20, if it lasts a long time without hardening and isn't a hassle to use it each time, I'd certainly bite.

The problem is you can buy 4-5 tubes of RTV for that twenty dollars you are spending.

Yes,
When finished using wipe off the nozzle, wrap the nozzle with a small piece of duct tape extending about an 1/2" past the end and pinch it tight. Place the tube(s) in a ZipLock bag.

5 things. 1. Be careful not to tighten the cap on the tube too much. Those caps are notorious for cracking if put on too tight. 2. Put some petroleum jelly around the tube threads to help seal it. 3. Put some saran wrap or teflon tape around the threads to help seal them. 4. Store it in a plastic baggie with all the extra air evacuated out. 5. Only buy as much as you'll reasonably need in the next year. Usually I get over a year before a tube hardens, but it's not worth the hassle to be in the middle of a repair and find you have to stop to get more RTV because you didn't plan ahead and buy fresh.

I buy a new tube each time I do something that requires rtv.

The partially used tubes go into a pile of "I'm almost certainly throwing this away, but it makes me feel better if I try to keep it for a while". For what I do, I don't use rtv more than 2-3 times a year.

^^X2.......I use more RTV than Trav with Domestic & Japanese vehicles gluing everything together these days, But I don't even try to save any of it. Their called consumables for a reason.

Wire nut and a food bag vacuum.. Seals it right up with no oxygen. Easier to buy a new tube though.

I've used the aerosol tubes of red RTV by Castle. I think they're a northeastern regional company. I bought it as single tubes from a local independent parts store. Remember those? They were about $10 a tube. I don't know the current price.

http://www.castlepackspower.com/index.cfm?Page=E-Z Bead High Temp Red

I'm on my second one which is years old. The first one lasted years also. I haven't needed as much lately. The trick to keeping it from drying up is to discharge about 3/4" of product from the nipple, and allow that to harden. It forms a plug. The next time you need to use it, just pull out the plug, and the tube is ready to use.
These are really intended for repair garage use. There's a lot in a tube, and they're much easier to dispense. Whether or not the convenience is worth the price, I can only say it was for me.

I take a small piece of aluminum foil, and put it nice and tight over the tube opening, then screw the cap back on. It makes a seal similar to the seal you have to puncture to use the product. It extends the life of the product for quite a while longer than just screwing the cap back on.

Anymore I use the sealnt in the can so its a non issue, but when needing a copper sealant only avaliable in tube. I leave the applicator nozzle on, fill it with rtv, then spin a wire nut on. Next time you use it all you need to do is remove the "plug" from the nozzle.

Reactions: JC1
RTV is a one-time shot once the tube is opened. The curing catalysts that RTV uses are hygroscopic. Those are primarily oxime chemistries that release methanol/ammonia/acetic acid during cure - the automotive stuff uses tin or platinum catalysts to prevent O2 sensor damage.

I’ve had luck with Toyota’s stuff as well as GE house caulk by leaving a “tail” at the nozzle to pull out later.

I let the rtv come out the tube a bit, and it cures to form a seal. just pull out the cured bit and you can use again in the next couple of weeks or sometimes months. but after a year or two the tube is only good for trash anyway.

edit, a tail as nthach put it.

Back