Transit 15k OCI

I was reading some Ford commercial documents at work and noticed this blurb about extending the 3.5PFDI oil change interval from 10k to 15k miles. Do we think they actually did anything to accomplish this or just reprogrammed the computer? I'm hoping at least some research went into this and it wasn't a pure marketing decision. 15k miles seems like a lot on a work van that lives a hard life. Especially if it's motorcraft syn blend.

transit oci.jpg

It looks great in the brochure, a low maintenance vehicle that only needs oil changes every 15K. It will probably make it out of the warranty period OK, but seeing the stuff Ford has produced lately, I'm not too sure about that. And will it make it to 200K and beyond without major engine work?

It looks great in the brochure, a low maintenance vehicle that only needs oil changes every 15K.

Exactly. Large businesses are pushing everything to operational expenses. The only thing the business owns is its intellectual property. That means leased equipment ( computers, manufacturing , vehicles). For the "sale" of the lease, maintenance isn't important. Ford will make their money on the van leasing it, then offloading the returned lease to someone else.

Looks like the manual does state the drain & fill capacity is 12 quarts. So that certainly helps the cause.
If the sump capacity is 3X normal, it's reasonable to extend oil changes accordingly.

Looks like the manual does state the drain & fill capacity is 12 quarts. So that certainly helps the cause.

So they did the supporting upgrades then. That's part of the reason diesels have had longer changes listed for so long; double or triple the oil capacity on passenger vehicles.

I was reading some Ford commercial documents at work and noticed this blurb about extending the 3.5PFDI oil change interval from 10k to 15k miles.
View attachment 145058View attachment 145057
Unless it’s a typo the NA 3.5 has double the capacity of the ecoboost. I would have thought it would be the other way around if anything.
So is the OP talking about the Ecoboost or Duratec 3.5L? Still find it hard to believe they would have a 12 quart oil pan on a 3.5l engine and that it isn't a misprint.

Most Transits are leased vehicles for business use I imagine. Meaning the vehicle will be turned in 3-5 years. Businesses do not care what happens to the engine after they are done with it. And are not going to take on added operational costs for the next owner’s benefit nor should they. Ford knows this and likely is marketing accordingly.

Last edited:
OK if thats the case, with a 12qt sump I can see that far of an OCI.

Price wise, I can't imagine a 6qt + filter and a 12qt + filter being the same price. But no one buying these vans would probably dig this deep into them and hinge their fleet on that.

Every 15k would keep a van on the road longer though with less maintenance intervals.

3.5 PFDI would be the Duratec.
Umm...the Ecoboost is the same. From Google:

Does Ford 3.5 EcoBoost have direct injection?

3.5l Ecoboost™ V6

Features include the Ford port-fuel and direct-injection (PFDI) system with two injectors per cylinder — one in the air intake port, another inside the cylinder — to increase performance.

Back