Transfer to FFL - Missing Accessory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Normally I am asking automotive questions on this forum, but I ran into a weapon related predicament.

I ordered a pistol, a grip, and a trigger from an online gun store, shipped to my local FFL, which is an actual business and storefront, not a residential address. I've done two transfers without incident with them before. I trust them and they seem like good people.

The trigger is missing. The gun store (seller) claims they have reviewed camera footage and insists the trigger was packed. The FFL insists they don't have the trigger.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads. On one hand, the gun store has a compelling argument, camera footage, however I did have order issues with them so I do have a bit of distrust. I also have not requested or seen any footage, not that the merchant is legally obligated to show me.

My trusted FFL is also not legally obligated to show me receiving room footage. It did take the background check process a little over two weeks due to the mass hysteria, so the package was sitting amongst heavy traffic for a long time. I am giving benefit of the doubt due to this crazy unprecedented purchasing of firearms. Lines out the door, mass packages, unclaimed FFL shipments due to inexperienced buyers, the list goes on. Could an item as small as a trigger be misplaced, absolutely. What am I supposed to do?

Personally I think it is CHEAP of the seller to combine shipment, but, I have no leverage here. Am I supposed to charge-back the gun store for the trigger (which was a promotional item, buy the pistol get the trigger free - OK maybe research MSRP, $40) or the FFL for half the value, they charge a $20 transfer fee?

So I'm left with a he/said she/said situation. The trigger is about $40, not the end of the world, but we do all work hard for our money. At this point I've let it go, because it's difficult to point a finger. So I am out the trigger money. Has anyone been in this situation before? What did you do?

It's one of those situations where I said at pickup, OK it would be more headache to refuse acceptance, I will follow up with the seller, I then later called the FFL and asked them to double check their receiving area. I don't know what the alternative is - refuse the pistol and grip, incur substantial restocking fees and be stuck in limbo for god knows how long... Remember it took IL over two weeks to clear this purchase.

Thanks in advance

Why would the seller send the accessories to a FFL? All that needs to go is the firearm. Seems like a weird situation for sure. For $40 I would write it off. But also know that the FFL probably puts you at a low priority because they missed out on a firearm sale to you and are just being the intermediary for the FFL fee.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Why would the seller send the accessories to a FFL? All that needs to go is the firearm. Seems like a weird situation for sure. For $40 I would write it off. But also know that the FFL probably puts you at a low priority because they missed out on a firearm sale to you and are just being the intermediary for the FFL fee.

That's what I was saying. This could have been avoided.

Well one says it was shipped and the other says it was not received, as far as I know they are required to ship firearms next day service with tracking and insurance so file a claim with the shipper or have the seller file the claim. That way you are out of it and the sending and receiving parties can fight it out with the shipping company. If the seller really shipped it then he had to claim it on the shipping form for insurance, if he did not claim it then he owes you a trigger.

Originally Posted by samven
Well one says it was shipped and the other says it was not received, as far as I know they are required to ship firearms next day service with tracking and insurance so file a claim with the shipper or have the seller file the claim. That way you are out of it and the sending and receiving parties can fight it out with the shipping company. If the seller really shipped it then he had to claim it on the shipping form for insurance, if he did not claim it then he owes you a trigger.

Firearm, grip, and trigger all included in the same packaging. So the tracking information confirms delivery and the package was signed for. It's tough to claim a portion of one package wasn't delivered when tracking confirmation exists.

Personally, I'd probably just let it go (since you can't prove anything), and just not order from the seller again.

I'd write a review and leave it at that. Maybe other people have problems with the seller. Or maybe the seller would send out a new one if they actually cared.

I'd let it go since who knows who is at fault and it's a cheap item. It's not worth the worry. Sending guns and accessories in the same package to FFLs is bad business. It's going to lead to issues like this. The receiving gun shop is focused on dealing with the gun and the other stuff gets shuffled around and ends up on the shelf.

You're probably better off keeping the factory trigger anyway.

The FFL I use for transfers doesn't open the package. They hold it for you to come in and you open it so there are no questions about pilferage.

I had a similar problem with a rifle I bought that didn't have the cleaning kit. Seller ‘suggested' that the FFL has pilfered it but I had opened the box.

Seller got an less than perfect rating but I wasn't going to lose my temper on a cleaning kit.

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back