Tranny Fluid, change it or leave it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently bought a 2006 Grand Caravan. It's at 108,000 miles. Usually when I buy a used vehicle I take the approach that most car owners never do any maintenance beyond oil changes so just change, flush, etc anything that might have needed it before/at the current mileage. However, in this case the guy took it to the dealership for services and the records show "serviced transmission" at 70,000 and at 94,000. I called the dealership and asked what "serviced transmission" means. They said that means they did a flush and added some "smooth shifting" additive. I have two thoughts on that. One "Smooth shifting" additive kind of scares me since I like to take the no additives approach. And two I'd probably believe that the flush had been done except that "serviced transmission" appears on the record twice. ATF +4 is a 100,000 mile fluid so why would they flush it twice in such a short time period. Maybe "serviced transmission" really means they just checked the fluid level or did some diagnostic, or who knows. So I'm trying to decide if I should just take the guy's word on the flush and go it and just feel good that it's been a bit over done on the fluid exchanges. Or maybe I should just go ahead and drop the pan and do the job anyway just to be safe. I also had the thought of just using an oil extractor to remove the fluid in go with the thought that it's probably been flushed but a little exchange from the pan can't hurt...just in case.

Thoughts?

I they serviced it they probably didn't change the filter. You will sleep better changing the filter and at least refilling the pan contents with the proper additive free ATF+4.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: LotI
Go with your gut...change the fluid yourself.

agreed...

Yep, the only way to sleep good at night

They previous owner probably just went with the service manager's recommendation to change it.

I would leave it in. There is no reason to suspect that the shop faked the work - twice.

Chrysler tech ringing in.

Chrysler's standard procedure for a trans service is dropping the pan, changing the filter, and filling with new fluid (about 5 quarts, give or take). They vehemently recommend NOT flushing the transmission for any reason.

The severe service schedule calls for a trans service every 60k miles. If you don't tow/beat the snot out of it you're pretty good to go to about 100k. At your mileage I wouldn't hesitate to change the fluid and filter.

change it use a mopar filter and atf+4 nothing else

I believe if you go to the dealer the filter is reasonable as is the mopar atf+4 I dont believe there is a gasket for that transmission it may be just silicone you can get there at the dealer, not sure if its 5 or 6 quarts

Originally Posted By: DanielinTheLions
"Smooth shifting" additive kind of scares me
As it should. All that stuff does is smoothly shift dollars from your wallet to theirs without you even noticing.

Another vote for changing the fluid.

My concern would be why the previous owner had the tranny flushed twice in such a short period of time, especially when the shop confessed adding a "magic" additive to make it shift better. Could it be previous owner was having problems and the mystery additive was a bottle of lubegard? Or, could it be they used a generic fluid and poured in a bottle of lubegard to bring it up to specs?

Does the fluid look clean? I'm guessing you've given it the "smell test" and it smells normal.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
My concern would be why the previous owner had the tranny flushed twice in such a short period of time, especially when the shop confessed adding a "magic" additive to make it shift better. Could it be previous owner was having problems and the mystery additive was a bottle of lubegard? Or, could it be they used a generic fluid and poured in a bottle of lubegard to bring it up to specs?

Does the fluid look clean? I'm guessing you've given it the "smell test" and it smells normal.

With 108000 miles, that Chrysler FWD transmission is already living on borrowed time.

If it were mine, I would drop the pan, change the filter and install a trans cooler.

Unless you ask the guy personally we will never know. We will also probably never know what kind of additive was used and for what purpose. That is why you should drop the pan, change the filter and fill the pan with proper fluid.
As others said already, go with your gut feeling and change the atf, as there is no telling what the intentions of the previous owner or the dealership were.

Why does the mystery fluid have to be Lubegard?

Yep did the smell test before buying. Looks and smells like ATF +4 in good condition (I think the +4 has a stronger smell than the Dextron that I'm more familiar with).

Seems like the general consensus here is to change it; I'll probably do that. I found a pretty good deal on Amazon for the Castrol ATF +4 and we have Amazon prime so I'm thinking I'll probably go with that and a filter change. I have to say though I don't look forward to scraping RTV off the gasket surface. I always find that to be a pain especially on the delicate surfaces of these transmissions. Just did my Dakota last week, luckily at last service they used a rubber gasket instead of RTV so not too much scrapping there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back