Tranny 100% drain and fill ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well whatever, I didn't say doing multiple crain and fills makes you the automaker's fool, but they have no incentive to tell you to do it in a cheaper, faster way. OP doesn't even have a Honda or a drain plug iirc. And Honda does want to sell their fluid. They don't even licenses it so you can get it from various outside suppliers.

I put a proper trans drain plug on my vehicles once they hit about 50,000 miles. I then change the amount of fluid that comes out, (in my case about 4 quarts) every oil change for a about 5 oil changes.

Then every 2nd or 3rd oil change.

I use aircraft fittings, and weld the fitting on the pan. Simple, easy and very reliable.

Started doing this after multiple trans failures while towing.

Originally Posted By: ChuckBerry
Originally Posted By: Trav
The only thing you end up with a drain and fill is partially cleaner oil nothing more or less. Its like changing your oil 2 qts at a time.
A worthless and money wasting job.

And yet that's precisely the service that Honda recommends on my 1998 CR-V...a 3x drain and fill of the transmission, running through the gears a few times between drains.

Some clean fluid is better than none, and with the CR-V you are left with 87.5% clean fluid, at a cost far lower than a flush at a quick lube place.

Let's not make the perfect the enemy of the good.

Yet Nissan and lots of others spec a line off fluid exchange for many of their cars.
Honda is being over cautious IMO their track record for transmissions isn't the best in fact one could argue a wet noodle is more durable than many of their units.

We change a lot of Honda fluid and use Amsoil ATF with a line off exchange.
Even the known bad ones have all survived long term (100K+) while some others using OEM fluid 3x drain and fill are on their second and third units.
Explain that one.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
I know this advice may be frowned upon, but if it were me I would change out 50% of that fluid for the first time, but with a new filter. Completely unscientific reasons, however still I feel it safer.

How does the fluid look? Smell? Could be important.

Well we see where this got your Volvo, you know the one with a blown tranny.
So much for that.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Even the known bad ones have all survived long term (100K+) while some others using OEM fluid 3x drain and fill are on their second and third units.
Explain that one.

If Nissan or any other manufacturer specify a certain method of servicing the transmission, or any other part of the car, I would tend to trust the engineers that wrote the procedure. There are some people on this site that speak with great authority about products and services because it is clear they have a legitimate and deep background in the automotive field and base their conclusions on demonstrable proofs, not anecdotes.

Since Honda specified a 3x drain and fill, that's what I'll do, until I have legitimate reason to believe that some other service is warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back