Trading in my Volvo. What will dealer offer me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to know that Truecar charges every dealer $300 per transaction, so you are probably getting a $300 less deal than you can from a non-Truecar dealer
smile.gif

Forget the smoke and mirrors. If there's a trade in, the only figure that matters is the difference. The dealer with the lowest difference on the same car is the winner (providing they aren't screwing you on dealer adds, and fees). I'd say the dealer with the best market for an AWD car is going to give you the best trade in. A nice used trade in is a nice used trade in. Most used car dealers don't care as long as it's not a Yugo.

Good luck.

What you have to do is be firm with them. Walk in there, with a price that you want in mind. Ask them what their offer is, and then you tell them that if you don't get whatever your number is, it's not happening.

Worked for us when we traded our cars in. They wanted to give us $13,500 for the focus. We owed $16,500 on it. Told them if we didn't break even, we were just going to walk out. They gave us $16,5 for a year old focus with 19k miles on it lol

Personally, I have neve understood the obsession that makes people want a Lexis ES 300 for example when a Camry XLE is the same car with different fenders. I have basic car requirements including a good engine (no battery cars, please) 4 wheel discs, a good radio and comfortable seat, decent headlights, and a good source of non stealer priced parts. Beyond that I can replace or upgrade, the nameplate means nothing. Some people judge professionals on the basis of how expensive their car is: "He MUST be a good ____, HE drives a Dieterwagon" Well, folks, YOU are paying extra so HE can drive IT instead of an Avalon.
Go into a Lexis dealer lookibng for "value"---- buy a Toyota instead. I live near a seaside city where there is a lot of real "old money". Most of THOSE folks drive 10 year old Volvo's and such. They "got it", they know who else has got it, and they don't give a bleep if YOU are impressed or not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Personally, I have neve understood the obsession that makes people want a Lexis ES 300 for example when a Camry XLE is the same car with different fenders. I have basic car requirements including a good engine (no battery cars, please) 4 wheel discs, a good radio and comfortable seat, decent headlights, and a good source of non stealer priced parts. Beyond that I can replace or upgrade, the nameplate means nothing. Some people judge professionals on the basis of how expensive their car is: "He MUST be a good ____, HE drives a Dieterwagon" Well, folks, YOU are paying extra so HE can drive IT instead of an Avalon.
Go into a Lexis dealer lookibng for "value"---- buy a Toyota instead. I live near a seaside city where there is a lot of real "old money". Most of THOSE folks drive 10 year old Volvo's and such. They "got it", they know who else has got it, and they don't give a bleep if YOU are impressed or not.
awesome
01.gif

Personally, I have neve understood the obsession that makes people want a Lexis ES 300 for example when a Camry XLE is the same car with different fenders. ...

Probably because the ES350 is classier,rides quieter with it's more sound insulation,rides smoother with different shocks and springs,more options like HID headlights,better quality leather with A/C vented seats,longer basic warranty etc.

They'll have an interesting chat in the back room.

Will basically revolve around you trading a newish near luxury car on something more basic. They'll smell some hint of desperation and go for the jugular.

With the money involved, you might as well throw a teaser on craigslist. See if you can buy a transferable extended warranty from volvo or a legitimate insurance company (like prudential) to show your confidence in the sale-- something a buyer with $18k would want.

Sell the car, then rent something for a week while you shop for its replacement. Selling the car in a relaxed time frame will more than make up for the $150 car rental fee.

Every dealer doesn't know about the Volvo's inherent problems. If it's got a good book value, the odometer has good miles, and it has curb appeal, someone is going to step up to the plate. New cars aren't flying off dealer lots.

Trade it.

"Classier" Ha, to a phony maybe. "Different shocks and springs", all availible from TRD for those of us who want a car which doesn't wallow. BTW, ES 300 front brakes are a BOLT ON for a Camry. "Better quality leather, don't make me laugh, CLOTH is more comfortable. I suppose if you weigh 300 pounds you need "AC" seats, I don't. The money I have in the bank instead of invested in a depreciating asset is "classy". Best of all, mine is PAID FOR, not leased.

Last edited:
"Classier" Ha, to a phony maybe. "Different shocks and springs", all availible from TRD for those of us who want a car which doesn't wallow. BTW, ES 300 front brakes are a BOLT ON for a Camry. "Better quality leather, don't make me laugh, CLOTH is more comfortable. I suppose if you weigh 300 pounds you need "AC" seats, I don't. The money I have in the bank instead of invested in a depreciating asset is "classy". Best of all, mine is PAID FOR, not leased.

As are my vehicles.
People who buy the ES350 do not want TRD springs.They like the 'wallow' as you call it.Many do as the ES350 and RX350 are the best selling Lexus vehicles.
It's their money and they can spend it like they want.
Who are you to tell someone how to spend their money?LOL!
Keep counting your pennies and don't worry about how other spend their money.

'Round here, people who drive "I'm inpressed" "Leaseomobiles" get license plates with numbers the size of the national debt. Dead giveaway. ( The "real deal" is a three or four digit.) Real classy, though, especially on a Dieterwagon. As to telling people how to spend their money, when they want a taxpayer bailout of their "upside down, mortgage or the "investment company" they work for, then "I'm involved." BTW I'm not telling you how to spend it, mensa boy, I'm telling folks how to KEEP it.
Tell ya this, though, there IS one IS 300 in my fleet, and that ain't no XLE with different badges. Worth every dime we paid (not borrowed) for it. In Japan, the car was sold as a Toyota. How's THAT for irony?

'Round here, people who drive "I'm inpressed" "Leaseomobiles" get license plates with numbers the size of the national debt. Dead giveaway. ( The "real deal" is a three or four digit.) Real classy, though, especially on a Dieterwagon. As to telling people how to spend their money, when they want a taxpayer bailout of their "upside down, mortgage or the "investment company" they work for, then "I'm involved." BTW I'm not telling you how to spend it, mensa boy, I'm telling folks how to KEEP it.
Tell ya this, though, there IS one IS 300 in my fleet, and that ain't no XLE with different badges. Worth every dime we paid (not borrowed) for it. In Japan, the car was sold as a Toyota. How's THAT for irony?

Your so called 'involvement' doesn't mean squat.Did you really have to use name calling in this debate?
I'm against bailouts too but banks were more responsible for the problems than people.Good old Barney Frank and friends are to blame.
In Japan a Camry is much more luxurious and more expensive than a Camry here.Much more like the ES350.
I don't believe a ES350 is available for sale in Japan.
No doubt a Camry and ES350 share many parts but the driving experience is much different with the smooth,quiet ride,better interior materials and available options one can't get on a Camry.
Is the cost difference between the two worth it?
That's up to the buyer.

UPDATE:

I decided to go for the CRV EX model as it seems to be the most reliable car on the road I could find. I was extremely pleased to find the dealer offered me almost $16K for my Volvo and I talked them up to just under $17k!!!! Made me very happy. Also got the price of the CRV down another $2K. I'm going to finalize the deal right now and pick up the Honda CRV.

Good choice and nice deal.
Some dealers want top dollar for the new CR-V.New design and are selling well.At least in my NYC metro area.
The new generation '12 CR-V is nicer than the last generation.The interior is nicer and seating is said to be more comfortable.MPGs and power up a bit.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
UPDATE:

I decided to go for the CRV EX model as it seems to be the most reliable car on the road I could find. I was extremely pleased to find the dealer offered me almost $16K for my Volvo and I talked them up to just under $17k!!!! Made me very happy. Also got the price of the CRV down another $2K. I'm going to finalize the deal right now and pick up the Honda CRV.

Great deal, and good choice
smile.gif
Congrats. Update us once you get a few miles on the Honda.

Originally Posted By: Colt
Good choice and nice deal.
Some dealers want top dollar for the new CR-V.New design and are selling well.At least in my NYC metro area.
The new generation '12 CR-V is nicer than the last generation.The interior is nicer and seating is said to be more comfortable.MPGs and power up a bit.

The 2012 CRV was nice but after having all the trouble with the Volvo I was nervous about buying the untested 2012 CRV. The 2011 is tested and priven to be a debuged reliable vehicle. It is very solid and rides as good as my Volvo does. Doors open and close with a solid "thud" like a heavy luxury car door. Also has ample power, better then I thought it would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back