Trading in my Volvo. What will dealer offer me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As many of you know my 2008 Volvo S40 has been a very unreliable car and I decided to cut my losses and get another car. I'm looking for the most reliable trouble free car out there and that means Honda, Toyota or maybe a Subaru. I'm trading my Volvo in and I should have some equity in it. It is fully loaded AWD T5 with all options except navigation or a DVD system. It is a rare black leather interior which they only made o few. I'm a professional detailer and the car is truly in like new shape(See pictures below). It has 37,400 miles on it. KBB lists my cars trade in value at $15, 821 for excellent condition and good condition at 14,971. NADA lists it as $17,700 average, in clean condition $18,950.

What can I expect a dealer to offer me for it towards trade in? What is a fair price I should stick to when negotiating? Also the cars I'm looking at are a Honda Accord for $24,200, CRV for $26,000 and a Subaru Impreza sedan for $23,400. Based on those sticker prices how much can I expect to talk them down to? Is getting them down a couple thousand reasonable? Many thanks for the help!!!

Pictures of my Volvo S40:

100_3024.jpg

100_3023.jpg

100_2624.jpg

100_2627.jpg

100_2628.jpg

100_2629.jpg

100_2623.jpg

With a car that looks this good you should sell it yourself the dealer will give you much less than it is worth. This looks like a prime car for ebay motors or the like.

Volvo is looking so nice, I wish I have detailing my cars.

Trade in is usually very low, they will low ball you to low $13k, I will not accept anything less than $16k for trade in. For 2012 Accord that listed at $24k I think you may be able to get around $21.5-22.0k, because it is the last model year, brand new 2013 Accord will be introduced at the end of this year.

How about selling the Volvo yourself ? You may get $18-19 for it.

negotiate the price of the new car first then talk about the trade, other wise they will just tack on the difference on the new car and tell you they aren't making any money on the deal. i work at a honda dealership and you are best off with the crv, accords are having pwr steering issues,we replace an ungodly amount of prw steering pumps, high pressure hoses and pwr steering racks on the new accords, the crv is pretty solid.

You'll do better on Epay or even Craig's List. The stealers will rip you off on a trade in. THEY want the "equity", they don't want YOU to get it. They'll dance the price of the car you want around 'till you think you are getting a "deal" Fat chance. You always get the BEST deal on a car you really don't want that much. GO into a stealer and start agreeing with the "sales consultant" about how wonderful the POS you arre looking at is, and you have hooked yourself.
Edmunds paid a writer to get hired and work for a couple of new car dealerships, and then write about the "system". "Confessions of a Car Salesman." Google it.

BTW why is it that people who owe big bucks on a car tell you they want to "trade it while it is still worth money" A few years of NO car payments is worth money, not some inflated "trade in price". When a sharpie says "what do you gotta get for your trade", say "a BUCK .. now what's the out the door price of this 'unit'?"

Can you sell a car with "known issues" to an individual on EBAY? I couldn't sleep at night if I did that.. Now a dealer... here is the keys..

Unless you live in one of the few states that do NOT collect sales tax on the value of a trade in, when you let the stealer inflate the price of the new "unit" to make your trade look better you end up paying MORE sales tax. Think THEY care?

Of course if you have a 5 year car loan and want to trade it in at three years "while it is still worth something" welcome to the black hole, just climb in.

ONly thing worse is LEASING it and then finding you can't DRIVE it for three months because you went over the generous "miles allowance". "course "they can make that all go away" with a new lease.... yeah right.

Go to www.truecar.com and it will give you a good guidance on how much you can get off on the new car you will be buying. It has actual sales data from your hood.
As for the trade-in, I usually look for a price in between the excellent and good values of KBB.
Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back